Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ?

Started by Daniel Wilson, January 18, 2020, 09:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

First of all, it's per capita that matters, not raw statistics. If the number of people dying from AIDS is growing, but the number per capita is going down, that's an improvement. So the real question isn't "do atheists earn more Nobel Peace Prizes than theists," but is, "is the percentage of Nobel Prize winners who are atheists higher than the percentage of people who are atheists?"

Second, using Nobel Peace Prizes as a measurement for intelligence is dubius at best. It sounds like you're trying to find something, anything, that will support your position. If you want to compare intelligence levels, you use an instrument that was specifically designed to do that.

And FYI, I don't think that theists are necessarily dumber. However, it is a fact people with higher levels of education are more likely to be atheists than the general population.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

You know, with only about 7% of the world atheist, depending how you count, current day.
Added with the fact that the Nobelprize was created like 120 years ago, meaning even less % of the population has been atheist, on average, during the entire run... Added with any shunning to outspoken godless-men certainly early in the 1900's , and, I suspecte a favoritism in the 'nobel prize for peace' to go to religious figures like the dalai lama... Added with any people who might not be a theist but who feighn it, like hypothetically Obama, in order to procure a certain stature or job... Added yet again with the fact that neither 'liturature' nor 'peace' are what you and I might call 'scientific'...
That all makes me feel like this is not something anyone needs to explain.
Honestly, if anything we should wonder how the hell we even managed to score as high as 10% to begin with.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 21, 2020, 05:53:00 AM
You know, with only about 7% of the world atheist, depending how you count, current day.
Added with the fact that the Nobelprize was created like 120 years ago, meaning even less % of the population has been atheist, on average, during the entire run... Added with any shunning to outspoken godless-men certainly early in the 1900's , and, I suspecte a favoritism in the 'nobel prize for peace' to go to religious figures like the dalai lama... Added with any people who might not be a theist but who feighn it, like hypothetically Obama, in order to procure a certain stature or job... Added yet again with the fact that neither 'liturature' nor 'peace' are what you and I might call 'scientific'...
That all makes me feel like this is not something anyone needs to explain.
Honestly, if anything we should wonder how the hell we even managed to score as high as 10% to begin with.
Well, look at it this way; We are still doing better than the Nazis.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 22, 2020, 07:58:16 AM

Or Stalinists (see Lysenko).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on January 22, 2020, 07:58:16 AM

Oh come on, don't put down the nazis. What did they ever do to deserve that?

This comment brought to you by Mr.Obvious brand sarcasm.
Obvious Sarcasm
tm, the sarcasm that's obvious.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

Yeah, after all, they kept the trains running on schedule.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 22, 2020, 04:17:03 PM
Yeah, after all, they kept the trains running on schedule.
Not only on schedule, but often.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Simon Moon

So, this same guy posted the same crap on other atheist forums.

On atheistforum.org, he changed his name from Daniel Wilson, to 'I'm a believer now'.

So, just another dishonest theist. What a shock.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gregory

Faith is Doublethink, which means intelligence does not come into religion.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on February 27, 2020, 08:31:21 PM
Faith is Doublethink, which means intelligence does not come into religion.

Correct.  CIA never goes to church ... they would never get out of confession.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, kind of like some people they put in Gitmo.
God Not Found

Gregory

We only use 10% of our brains, so what does that tell us?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.