OBAMACARE MANDATE RULED UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Started by Baruch, December 20, 2019, 08:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Roberts court, ruled this a tax, and because of the tax mandate, the whole ACA was ruled constitutional.  Now that Trump removed the tax mandate, this led to state level challenges to the whole ACA.  And SCOTUS just agreed.

Yes, bring us FREE Medicare For All?  My mom paid United Health Care $200 month to handle the Medicare paperwork.  Not free.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Congress never made health care or health insurance affordable. So having a mandate to have insurance was an act of tyranny.... and the new mandate in California is also an act of tyranny.

There are some good things in the Affordable Care Act, but it was never intended to make health care affordable. Only a Congressional dumb-ass with a good pipe would think that it does.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Gawdzilla Sama

Ah, a program thought up by a Republican is unconstitutional. Sounds right.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: fencerider on February 18, 2020, 02:43:53 PM
There are some good things in the Affordable Care Act, but it was never intended to make health care affordable. Only a Congressional dumb-ass with a good pipe would think that it does.
Create an act and give it a name that makes it sound like it does exactly the opposite of what it does, and it will appeal to more people.  I first noticed this tactic when I had been following the Forest Services' tactics in the 1990s, such as cooking the books and falsifying inventories.  There was a bill called the Forest Health and Restoration Act put out by the Bush Administration in 2003, and was written by timber companies.  It called for more logging and excluding logging sales up to 1000 acres from required environmental assessments.  Basically saving the forests by getting rid of the trees.  But "the Ninth Circuit held that the Forest Service's promulgation of the categorical exclusion "was arbitrary and capricious".   After that I started noticing this tactic on other bills, titled with obviously misleading names. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthy_Forests_Initiative

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 18, 2020, 02:43:53 PM
Congress never made health care or health insurance affordable. So having a mandate to have insurance was an act of tyranny.... and the new mandate in California is also an act of tyranny.

Name politicians put on a bill.  It is really the opposite.  If a bill is named "Candy For All" you can bet psycho dentists lobbied for it -)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

If the mandate was ruled unconstitutional, should I have heard that no one is required to buy insurance anymore?  I don't follow the news closely, but I haven't heard a peep to that effect.  Are people who opt out of the system no longer fined for not buying an insurance company's product?  I remember some people complaining before the law was even passed that a law requiring a person to buy insurance would be unconstitutional.  I also heard the counter argument that it was already done with auto insurance, and that it was no different.  If they are no different, why would health insurance be unconstitutional, while auto insurance would be constitutional?

But mostly, if forced health insurance is unconstitutional, what is being done about it?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 27, 2020, 07:15:57 PM
If the mandate was ruled unconstitutional, should I have heard that no one is required to buy insurance anymore?  I don't follow the news closely, but I haven't heard a peep to that effect.  Are people who opt out of the system no longer fined for not buying an insurance company's product?  I remember some people complaining before the law was even passed that a law requiring a person to buy insurance would be unconstitutional.  I also heard the counter argument that it was already done with auto insurance, and that it was no different.  If they are no different, why would health insurance be unconstitutional, while auto insurance would be constitutional?

But mostly, if forced health insurance is unconstitutional, what is being done about it?

As of Jan 1, you are no longer required to provide proof of health insurance (employer or ACA) as part of your income tax filing.  That was the teeth in the law.  That ended with the 2018 tax year.  I had employer health insurance until May 1 2019.  I have had none since, though I intend to get into a private catastrophic plan I can afford later this year.  Otherwise I have paid out-of-pocket since then.  In the meantime, I did overpay for an inadequate comprehensive warranty insurance on my old car, does that count ;-(

You can still voluntarily participate in ACA if you want.

Meanwhile, Congress only cared about the impeachment, and now the election in November.  You are not tops in their concern.

The constitutionality argument was technical, since on another level, SCOTUS already ruled it constitutional.  Pretty much "lawyers in love" aka "cat rape sex".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.