Iran Launches Ballistic Missiles At American Bases in Iraq

Started by Shiranu, January 07, 2020, 08:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 08, 2020, 09:25:17 AM
I'm not sure what they are, but I think there may be negative consequences to glassing the entire area.  It does seem like a simple solution, but the fact that our government isn't about to do it tells me that someone respected as an authority on geopolitics is anticipating an unwanted outcome.  However, glassing is never off the table either, and I can easily imagine many scenarios that would precipitate glassing, none of which would lead to a glorious victory for Iran.  This does not mean it would automatically be a victory for the US, however.  We would undoubtedly win the war, but at costs that could be intolerable...  Maybe.

It is bigoted to only glass theists, or only glass Muslims.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Shiranu on January 07, 2020, 08:39:12 PM
That said... take that with a grain of salt. Irani media is not exactly what I would call the most credible source.

Yeah, much like American media.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Maybe Iran's oil fields would be irradiated, and so be unusable for millennia.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on January 08, 2020, 09:25:17 AM
I'm not sure what they are, but I think there may be negative consequences to glassing the entire area.  It does seem like a simple solution, but the fact that our government isn't about to do it tells me that someone respected as an authority on geopolitics is anticipating an unwanted outcome.  However, glassing is never off the table either, and I can easily imagine many scenarios that would precipitate glassing, none of which would lead to a glorious victory for Iran.  This does not mean it would automatically be a victory for the US, however.  We would undoubtedly win the war, but at costs that could be intolerable...  Maybe.
Oh, please. A shower of nuclear tipped-missiles would solve a whole shit load of Iraqis.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 08, 2020, 01:36:03 PM
Maybe Iran's oil fields would be irradiated, and so be unusable for millennia.

Radiation weapon, contamination by radioisotope.  Fukushima without a tidal wave.  How about Japan ships their Fukushima waste to Iran, and bury it there, in their water table?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

How barbaric.

I think just not interfering with their petty tribal wars is good enough.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

SGOS

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 09, 2020, 10:14:47 PM
We must maintain stability in the Middle East.  Otherwise there will be instability.  Stability through sterilization of everything, even the sand, is our only hope. There can be no tribal wars without tribes.  Only then we can have peace and quiet.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 09, 2020, 10:14:47 PM
How barbaric.

If the US produced everything, and needed no trade with the barbarians outside?

I take SGOS point as satire.  There is no need for stability, anywhere.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It's all just chaos anyway. We may be coming to a strange attractor.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 10, 2020, 01:17:14 PM
It's all just chaos anyway. We may be coming to a strange attractor.

We don't want to know about your strange SO ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Peaceful trade with all, entangling alliances with none.

The third world has suffered from outside forces funneling money in so that the outcome can be manipulated.  During the Cold War it was competition between USA and USSR.  Now that the USSR is gone, Russia is doing the same in a more limited manner only in issues that actually benefit them.  The USA is still trying to police the world and impose an order on the world that doesn't actually exist.

All efforts to stabilize the Middle East have destabilized it.  Just look at Libya.  There are Arab slave traders trafficking African Slaves there now.  That sort of thing was mostly stomped out for a while.

The US has a very bad habit.  When the North Elbonians and the South Elbonians go to war, the US politicians think they MUST determine which side is the good side and then back that side entirely.  Sometimes there is no good side and the best you can hope for is that they slap fight each other into exhaustion.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

The British Empire took the lead in the 19th century stamping out slavery.  Not the US, not Russia.  All slavers say ... Death to the British Empire.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"US Navy Intercepts Advanced Iranian Weapons Bound For Yemen In Arabian Sea" ... yes, primitive Houthis have advanced technology, not.

We have an increasing number of concussion trauma injuries.  But this may be inflated, because military members love to get credit for partial disability.  Notice President Trump didn't retaliate.  Unlike President Obama who started 4 new wars, President Trump would like to turn down the heat on that President Obama started.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.