Iran Launches Ballistic Missiles At American Bases in Iraq

Started by Shiranu, January 07, 2020, 08:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security/iran-fires-rockets-at-iraqi-air-base-hours-after-funeral-of-slain-commander-idUSKBN1Z60NL

BAGHDAD/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iran launched a missile attack on U.S.-led forces in Iraq in the early hours of Wednesday, hours after the funeral of an Iranian commander whose killing in a U.S. drone strike has raised fears of a wider war in the Middle East.

Tehran fired more than a dozen ballistic missiles from Iranian territory against at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S.-led coalition personnel, the U.S. military said on Tuesday

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards confirmed that they fired the rockets in retaliation for last week’s killing of Qassem Soleimani, according to state TV.

“We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement, adding that the bases targeted were al-Asad air base and another in Erbil, Iraq.

Still too early to know if there were any American casualties, although I have seen some reports that a couple of Iraqis who were stationed on the base were injured or killed. The Danish government said none of it's troops stationed at the base were injured.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Update: Iran state media says it has launched a second wave of missiles, and if the US retaliates they will begin bombing Dubai and Israel.

That said... take that with a grain of salt. Irani media is not exactly what I would call the most credible source.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

They have 2000 long range missiles.  I would want them to shoot them all, so they use up their inventory ;-)  For each missile launch, we get intel on their technology.  Hezbollah has a lot of short range rockets (40-150 K) targeting Israel.  Mostly defensive.  Israel last did a military incursion into Lebanon in 2006 which was a failure.

I think it is OK for Iran to attack Dubai, since it is Sunni ;-)  Attacking Israel makes Netanyahu a hero again 🇮🇱.  Both are stupid moves.  Back in 2001 I used to watch Iranian TV on the Internet.  They aren't my enemy ... Congress and Democrats are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

You know what would have made it a lot harder for them to not fire on bases in Iraq?  Not having bases in Iraq.

Loki and Eris!
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 07, 2020, 09:20:23 PM
You know what would have made it a lot harder for them to not fire on bases in Iraq?  Not having bases in Iraq.

Loki and Eris!

And please add ... I have no use for Delaware.  Lets withdraw there too ;-)  If they are declared non-citizens, then Biden can't run for POTUS.

If you don't like the military defense of the petro-dollar, then buy yuan.

I don't care for the petro-dollar, but then I don't support what has happened since 1971 (Nixon closing gold window).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 07, 2020, 09:20:23 PM

Loki and Eris!

But if we didn't have something like 13 named military bases around Iran, how would we provoke them?

Get with it!

Sal1981

It's the Al Asad base, it's Iraqi but with US personnel, they way I understood it.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 07, 2020, 10:20:59 PM
But if we didn't have something like 13 named military bases around Iran, how would we provoke them?
I've seriously heard talk a few days ago that Iran better not "start something" with the US.  These people need glasses because they're nearsighted af.

Shiranu

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 07, 2020, 11:40:22 PM
It's the Al Asad base, it's Iraqi but with US personnel, they way I understood it.

Co-operated apparently. But given it is (was?) the second largest U.S. base in Iraq during the height of the war there and just the general power disparity, my assumption is that the U.S. are the real rulers.

----

In more fun news, apparently about an hour ago a Ukrainian 737 crashed right outside of Tehran carrying 130 passengers, just an hour or two after the missile attack.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 07, 2020, 10:20:59 PM

Get with it!

if non-islam exists, Islam must conquer it.  If Shia and Sunni exist, they must destroy each other (like France vs Germany).  So nothing the US can do, isn't an insult to Saudi and Iran.  Opposition is existential.  Yes, we could be isolationist.  I would like that.  Particularly we need to kill NATO ... there is no reason to attack Russia.  But that won't bring peace.  No TEAM AMERICA would be a good thing.  But then our economy will collapse.  I think that is a good thing too.  End the Federal Government ... then no IRS ;-)

What I oppose, is Jimmy Carter Sunday School Politics.  If we are nice to people like Mr Rogers was, then others will be nice to us.  That is infantile.  There are consequences to being aggressive, and consequences to being submissive.  You can't avoid consequences.  Do you prefer aggressive consequences or submissive consequences?  So the US has preferred aggression since 1941, starting with Japan.  Should we let Japan conquer China and kill/enslave all those innocent people?  Neo-libs (FDR) said no.  Cutting off Japanese oil was an act of war.  Tojo did nothing wrong.

US has been at war with Iran since 1979.  A different time, Cold War, Iran revolution was Soviet, with French communist assistance (Ayatollah was staying in France).  If we let the Soviets gain anything, then WW III will happen.  Does anyone really think that Putin is Stalin?  Obama made a peace, but didn't get the treaty ratified.  A ratified treaty requires Congress to overturn it, not executive decision by POTUS.  Obama succeeded/failed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 07, 2020, 11:53:46 PM
Co-operated apparently. But given it is (was?) the second largest U.S. base in Iraq during the height of the war there and just the general power disparity, my assumption is that the U.S. are the real rulers.

----

In more fun news, apparently about an hour ago a Ukrainian 737 crashed right outside of Tehran carrying 130 passengers, just an hour or two after the missile attack.

Boeing management are murderers.  Like Morton-Thiokol.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Iran has precision missiles.  They deliberately avoided barracks, to minimize casualties.  Somewhat civilized.  So this may be the last of the current crisis.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

My suggestion to glass the entire region was rejected by short-sighted people.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 08, 2020, 08:15:38 AM

Corning endorses your view ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 08, 2020, 08:15:38 AM
I'm not sure what they are, but I think there may be negative consequences to glassing the entire area.  It does seem like a simple solution, but the fact that our government isn't about to do it tells me that someone respected as an authority on geopolitics is anticipating an unwanted outcome.  However, glassing is never off the table either, and I can easily imagine many scenarios that would precipitate glassing, none of which would lead to a glorious victory for Iran.  This does not mean it would automatically be a victory for the US, however.  We would undoubtedly win the war, but at costs that could be intolerable...  Maybe.