How Is Obama Different Then Bush Spying?

Started by Solitary, June 23, 2013, 04:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

:evil:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Poison Tree

Well, yes. Doing something the law disallows is illegal while doing something the law allows is legal.
Now, the spying may or may not be constitutional (I don't think any court has ruled on the issue, but I certainly hope this gets major court attention soon), it may or may not be effective, necessary, wise or any other number of adjectives, but if the law allows it it IS legal. At the absolute minimum I hope all the attention will force more oversight of the program, but seeing as how a bunch of members of congress flew home for an extra day of vacation instead of attending a NSA briefing, I'm not optimistic.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Shiranu

The law is never right simply because it is the law; the law is only right when it is fair, protects all people equally and works.

If murder was legalized tomorrow, would murder become "right"?

So to me, saying that just because something has become legal is not a compelling argument to if it is "right". And these practices do not seem to have much practical application or effectiveness, nor do they protect the American people's rights, safety or privacy. It is just as bad when Obama does it as Bush, regardless of what the courts decide.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Triple Nine

It's not different, but I didn't care much either way anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. I'll criticize Bush on a lot of shit, but this isn't one of them.
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

Hydra009

Quote from: "title"[s:1rwh773q]How Is Obama Different Then Bush Spying?[/s:1rwh773q]  Is NSA spying under W Bush different than NSA spying under Obama?
FIFY for clarity.

It isn't.

Weltfrieden

If Obama is telling the truth about the NSA only monitoring the records of foreigners then how is this a breach of the fourth amendment?

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Weltfrieden

Obama on NSA surveillance scandal: nobody is listening to your phone calls

IF he's telling the truth then this whole scandal is nothing more than a gross overreaction to a huge misunderstanding.

Rejak

What makes you think he's telling the truth?

Shiranu

Quote from: "Rejak"What makes you think he's telling the truth?

Given he has lied time and time again, the corruption within the NSA, the corruption within the intelligence community and the corruption within the government in general... you are an idiot if you take Obama on his word.

Rejak

QuoteGiven he has lied time and time again, the corruption within the NSA, the corruption within the intelligence community and the corruption within the government in general... you are an idiot if you take Obama on his word

Exactly!   and then there is this   //http://pwtenny.newsvine.com/_news/2010/03/31/4097266-obama-administration-loses-bush-era-nsa-warrantless-wiretapping-lawsuit-it-was-illegal-federal-court-rules
Still the NSA claims what it's doing is perfectly legal.

Weltfrieden

Quote from: "Rejak"What makes you think he's telling the truth?
Notice that I put the word "if" in bold capital letters. I don't trust the government as far as I could comfortably spit a rat but there's no harm in playing devil's advocate.

billhilly

As long as you understand you are advocating for a devil...............

Plu

Because spying on foreigners is perfectly acceptable, it's only american citizens that should have their privacy respected?