A new perspective on this thing that we know as God.

Started by od19g6, December 31, 2019, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I agree with Descarte, we can be certain of our own existence. It's the only thing we can be certain of, it's what I refer to as "primary knowledge." Everything else is either secondary or tertiary knowledge, certainty of which can only be approached asymptotically.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 29, 2020, 02:11:37 PM
I agree with Descarte, we can be certain of our own existence. It's the only thing we can be certain of, it's what I refer to as "primary knowledge." Everything else is either secondary or tertiary knowledge, certainty of which can only be approached asymptotically.

Tres bien!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gregory

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 29, 2020, 02:11:37 PM

We are never certain of anything, especially our existence.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 06, 2020, 02:39:25 AM

DesCartes this troll away!

To my own self be true.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'm absolutely certain that I exist, but I'm not certain that you exist.
God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 06, 2020, 01:52:15 PM
I'm absolutely certain that I exist, but I'm not certain that you exist.
I am willing to accept that others exist, on the basis that they come up with ideas and concepts that shock me.  The more my mind is blown by something, the less likely I thought of it and ascribed it to a figment of my imagination.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

Meh. You can’t come up with a reasonable explanation for what you experience. Gordian knot. You exist because you experience it, there is no other logical explanation.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on March 07, 2020, 04:11:32 AM
I am willing to accept that others exist, on the basis that they come up with ideas and concepts that shock me.  The more my mind is blown by something, the less likely I thought of it and ascribed it to a figment of my imagination.

You should trust your imagination more.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'm one of the few atheists who will also admit to being absolutely certain that God does not exist, at least the God of the Bible/Q'uran, etc. There is no God, period. Anything else someone wants to call God, like "love,' or whatever, then OK, maybe that thing exists, but it isn't "God." Many ateists will say the don't believe 99.999 %, but I'm willing to go all the way and say I don't believe, 100%.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 07, 2020, 01:34:11 PM
I'm one of the few atheists who will also admit to being absolutely certain that God does not exist, at least the God of the Bible/Q'uran, etc. There is no God, period. Anything else someone wants to call God, like "love,' or whatever, then OK, maybe that thing exists, but it isn't "God." Many ateists will say the don't believe 99.999 %, but I'm willing to go all the way and say I don't believe, 100%.

But you do believe in some things ... poor fool that you are, we are ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

No, I don't "believe" in anything, I have working hypotheses, but no "belief." That's why my username is Unbeliever.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 07, 2020, 04:53:07 PM
No, I don't "believe" in anything, I have working hypotheses, but no "belief." That's why my username is Unbeliever.
that makes, two of us.  I don't 'believe' anything, either.  I do have thoughts that could be wrong, but I'm willing to change my mind then.  Working hypotheses is a great way to put it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?