A new perspective on this thing that we know as God.

Started by od19g6, December 31, 2019, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 10, 2020, 02:14:12 AM
His name is Peter Parker, he can climb walls, shoot web and has precognitive foresight. He's also very strong.

His nature is fictional - but I doubt you would be able to tell the difference from your faith.

He teaches us valor, honesty and perseverance through the stories told about Spiderman. You see it's possible to learn from fictional tales, knowing they're fictional. It's just pretend, like your faith.

No, Spiderman is not physical in the classical sense of the word, despite the multiple movies and comics about him.

Idk what prophecies he fulfills, but that's besides the point. I could make a vague prediction about the future too and I would be right, but it would be no more flights of fancy than your faith.

No prophecies?  C'mon, what about his spider sense?  In all the stories about him he has dodged danger multiple times.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Munch

Quote from: od19g6 on January 10, 2020, 10:24:15 PM
You brought me back with an interesting question.

I'm not a christian, I'm baha'i by the why.

I know that it seems like they are different gods that some people believe in. But have it ever occured to you and have you ever thought that, because these religions are so old and because they didn't have the recordings that we have today,
That they very well may have been actually talking about one God and those "different" gods that we hear about were actually different "aspects" of that "one God"?

Or, instead of having multiple concepts into different entities, Christians just threw all concept into the same spot on the wall instead of spreading it around because it's easier to just say their god does it all instead of having to think up their own new characters like Romans did from Greek myths. It's pretty lazy to be honest.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 10, 2020, 07:45:17 PM
Gods can only ever exist inside the minds of those who believe in them, like any other fictional character.

The ego is a fiction, yours and mine.  Neither of us exist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 10, 2020, 10:38:12 PM
Or, instead of having multiple concepts into different entities, Christians just threw all concept into the same spot on the wall instead of spreading it around because it's easier to just say their god does it all instead of having to think up their own new characters like Romans did from Greek myths. It's pretty lazy to be honest.

Christianity is  simplification of paganism.  But is derived from paganism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on January 11, 2020, 06:35:43 AM
Christianity is  simplification of paganism.  But is derived from paganism.

Indeed, many newer religions are just derived from previous ones and made more simple to lure people in with easy concepts.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

"Evidences." Why do all apologists say that? The plural of "evidence" is "evidence."

Also, there are no fulfilled prophecies. Not a one.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: od19g6 on January 10, 2020, 06:30:59 PM
I know that atheists what physical evidence and that's understandable because we're living in the physical world. But I was just trying to explain that there is a reality beyond the physical reality, the spiritual reality.

And I was just trying to explain that it is only the human being that manifest that spiritual reality in the physical world to the fullest.
I have to ask, to what purpose?  If you came in knowing that non-physical evidence would not be accepted, why would you think there was a point in offering only that?

I think that I was giving evidences, because the definition of the word evidence is:
"the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid".
Fatally incomplete.  Evidence is also independently verifiable.  It's not evidence if you can dismiss a failure to accept it with "Oh, you have to read it in the right spirit".

There are no physical evidence of God.
The single truest thing you've said.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

I know that atheists what physical evidence and that's understandable because we're living in the physical world. But I was just trying to explain that there is a reality beyond the physical reality, the spiritual reality.
You explained that there is.  That's just a claim without proof.  You are not able to furnish proof, which fails to support your claim.  So the claim cannot be anything more than a claim. And I think you understand why, but I'll point it out anyway.  Proof exists only in the physical world.  You are making an assertion about something outside the physical, so it can't be verified.  Nothing outside the physical can be verified.  This is why science does not even try to verify God or the spiritual. Many would like to, but they can't.  This is not a failing, although it disappoints the spiritual types.

And I was just trying to explain that it is only the human being that manifest that spiritual reality in the physical world to the fullest.
It's the same problem.  A claim that a human can manifest a spiritual reality, whatever that is supposed to mean, is invalid until you can prove a spiritual reality.  Logical people don't go there, because they can't.

And that makes the claim, even if it might be true, if only by accident, irrelevant.  Materialists don't deal with the irrelevant, unless they mistakenly get sidetracked and begin to think illogically.  Yes it happens.  As pointed out in another post, the best you can do is present arguments that superficially sound logical.  These are called logical fallacies, and anyone can fall prey to them.  But spiritualists use lists of logical fallacies (you can google them on the internet) as a strategy to construct phony arguments.  They are either being sly and deceitful, or they simply don't know any better.  You no doubt pick them up from your religion but don't recognize what they are.

A logical religion wouldn't be much fun, because you are very limited by logic.  You could only say, "I believe, but I don't have a clue why I should."  This is not good for the church's positive cash flow.

aitm

Your position that your perspective is "new" is an error. We have heard it all before. Now if you suggested god was a tootsie roll....well...now you would have our attention.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

fencerider

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 08, 2020, 11:29:17 PM
I'm sure one can whip up some for old Spidey, which will be just as chuck full of prophecies as any other scripture.
There are lots of spiders in Lord of the Rings. That might be a good place to start.

od19g6 I never heard of BaHái religion before. But if your god only talks to one person every 1,000 years, and I am not that person, there isn't any reason to pay attention to your god ðŸ¤"
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gregory on February 28, 2020, 08:19:58 PM
I know nothing.
Yeah, I knew him for awhile--but I've lost track of him.  Say 'hi' to him for me, will you?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gregory

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gregory on February 28, 2020, 08:49:48 PM
One cannot be certain of anything.
So, you are saying that the only thing one can be certain of is that nothing is certain.  Certainly.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?