A new perspective on this thing that we know as God.

Started by od19g6, December 31, 2019, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

od19g6

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 02, 2020, 11:17:24 PM
Okay. Let me put it this way. Do you believe that God actively interacts with the universe, or that he's a silent observer? If the former, then he can be studied. If the latter, then we might as well not even have a god.
Technically God can do any thing He wants, He's beyond the physical universe, He has no beginning and He has no end.

But normally and usually, God interacts with the universe though His names and attributes and through His Manifestations.

od19g6

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2020, 11:21:56 PM
Let's say you are someone who understands a hypothetical...

And as far as honesty goes, there's a woeful lack of it so far.  If you continue to play proselytizing games instead of responding with sincerity, you will earn nothing but disdain - and well deserve it.
I'm being totally honest. Matter of fact I believe that in conversations like this we need to be honest.

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2020, 11:21:56 PMThis reply is akin to getting an example question on an exam - complete with question and answer - and then feebly scrawling the same answer in the margin.  In crayon.
I kinda don't understand???

Blackleaf

Quote from: od19g6 on January 02, 2020, 11:44:18 PM
Yes, animal/physical evolution did happen. But the human being is far beyond mere animal evolution and that is evident  with what the human can do and accomplish.

No. That is not apparent. You're using your human bias to assume what makes your own species unique makes you better than the rest of nature. As has already been pointed out, plants and animals can both do things that we are incapable of doing. But the superior traits of other species don't matter to you, because you assign more importance to our specialties. If humanity were to go extinct, whether due to climate change, nuclear war, or some other factors, and another intelligent species were to evolve to replace us, they would likely create gods in their image just as we created gods in ours.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Yes, animal/physical evolution did happen. But the human being is far beyond mere animal evolution and that is evident  with what the human can do and accomplish.
That's a hell of a claim to make.  Let's see if you can support it.

What exact traits do humans have that couldn't have been a product of evolution?

od19g6

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2020, 11:34:29 PM
And a dove is evidence of a plane.  That's an equally sensible inference.  And the plane at least has the good sense to be a part of our universe to be examined.  :P
This would have been a opportune thing to say when you claimed to have evidence.
But the plane is not God. And maybe it should have been like: the plane is evidence of the bird because the bird displays more qualities than the plane.
But the thing is this: the human being displays "all" of the qualities of God at the "highest" level. The human being is the most perfect of all creation.

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2020, 11:34:29 PMAlso, you seem to bounce back and forth on this question quite a bit - complete certitude to ironclad skepticism.  Do you need a minute to think it over?  Or a minute to get your story straight?  Please, take your time.  It is far better to say something intelligent an hour late than to say something foolish in haste.
You know what, that last part is very good advise.
I do try to be careful a time my time. I just don't want you to think I left the forum.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: od19g6 on January 02, 2020, 07:14:00 PM
Just to be clear, what is telepathy?
The ability to read minds and communicate purely through thought with another being.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sal1981

Quote from: od19g6 on January 02, 2020, 10:14:10 PM
I said that we can never know God "fully" or "completely".
And that the human being is the greatest sign, evidence and proof of the existence of God.

But it's actually good that you asked me that.
Let me tell you where I got this knowledge from.

I know that I talked about how the human being is the best evidence of God and that that the human being has the potential to display all of the names and attributes of God at the highest level. But there are beings that are on a higher level than the regular human being. These beings are known as the Prophets / Messengers of God.

The Prophets / Messengers [or what we know them as Manifestations in the baha'i scriptures] can display all of tthe names and attributes of God at the highest level "perfectly".
So if you "really" want to know God, the "absolute" best to do that is to know the Prophets / Messengers / Manifestations of God. And Baha'u'llah is the latest of these Messengers.

Baha'u'llah says in the Kitáb-i-íqán:
"And of all men, the most accomplished, the most distinguished and the most excellent are the Manifestations of the Sun of Truth. Nay, all else besides these Manifestations, live by the operation of their Will, and move and have their being through the outpourings of their grace. “But for Thee, I would have not created the heavens.” Nay, all in their holy presence fade into utter nothingness, and are a thing forgotten. Human tongue can never befittingly sing their praise, and human speech can never unfold their mystery. These Tabernacles of holiness, these primal Mirrors which reflect the light of unfading glory, are but expressions of Him Who is the Invisible of the Invisibles. By the revelation of these gems of divine virtue all the names and attributes of God, such as knowledge and power, sovereignty and dominion, mercy and wisdom, glory, bounty and grace, are made manifest".
The human being is soddy evidence for a god, being so shitty in supposed design. A mere human is able to come up with better designs on a whim, yet a god cannot. This was the point I was making in the first place. We're not "perfect" in any sense of the word, prophets included.

Besides, we have better explanations as to how we got here through the sciences than any religious scripture is able to conjure.

SGOS

5 pages of bullshit, and I never noticed this thread until now.

od19g6

Jason Harvestdancer

I admit I'm having a hard time understanding this particular argument.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2020, 09:04:33 PM
And the fact that this is the angle of approach is very telling.  God is something that is absolutely in evidence when claiming that he exists, but nowhere to be found - outside our universe apparently - when it comes to actually substantiating that rather bold claim.  How suspiciously convenient for the believer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrAf-O_L-08

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Whether you call it a prophet or a manifestation, anyone who claims to speak for God is dangerous as hell.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

What exactly, has the human animal done that reflects any god?  What do you mean by humans being beyond evolution?  I'd suggest humans are totally shaped by evolution and nothing else.  Your god is no different than any other gods--none of them exist.  Your proof is totally lacking.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

This one seems to be another that will talk a lot without ever saying anything.
God Not Found

Baruch

An optimistic POV.  Atheists are usually pessimists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.