News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Theology Degrees

Started by Cassia, April 11, 2022, 11:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

I stumbled on a tweet, a pastor basically bragging about his "PhD".

Academic pro tip: Yes, I have my Ph.D. in systematic theology, yet I am still an infant in my academic career. Always research, always learn, write...perhaps.

As far as I am concerned it is a degree in nothing....or worse a degree in bullshit. A degree in shaking down people for their money every Sunday while wearing a bathrobe. You graduate a bigger idiot than when you went in. These theology schools are such a scam. Any moron can get a "PhD" in a theology paper mill.

Dark Lightning

I think that it is supposed to be called "ThD"

""ThD" stands for "Doctor of Theology" while "PhD" stands for "Doctor of Philosophy." Both the ThD and PhD are equivalent doctorate programs as recognized by the U.S. National Foundation. Meaning, there is no higher degree and both are equal."

Maybe the USNF considers them equal, but I certainly don't.

the_antithesis

A quick googlin' show several sources using PhD for systematic theology. They probably changed it from ThD because people didn't know what that was and didn't want people it was somehow less that a PhD. All about appearances, those guys.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on April 11, 2022, 11:53:16 AMI stumbled on a tweet, a pastor basically bragging about his "PhD".

Academic pro tip: Yes, I have my Ph.D. in systematic theology, yet I am still an infant in my academic career. Always research, always learn, write...perhaps.

As far as I am concerned it is a degree in nothing....or worse a degree in bullshit. A degree in shaking down people for their money every Sunday while wearing a bathrobe. You graduate a bigger idiot than when you went in. These theology schools are such a scam. Any moron can get a "PhD" in a theology paper mill.

That degree really is piled higher and deeper.  It is pretty easy to discover new things about your field of study when it is all fiction to begin with.  Check your brain at the door, it will not be needed.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

ferdmonger

Back when I used to enjoy the give and take this type of discussion more, I went into one of those 'the lion will lie down with the lamb' sites, and made obvious posts.

"Dr Somebody" contacted me from the site.  (An obvious charlatan.) He got mad and cut me off when I inquired how a T-Rex would chew its vegetables. Did I mention charlatan?  A PHD from Matchbook University.