News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My Christmas

Started by SGOS, December 25, 2019, 08:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

No one to share it with this year, and while I didn't get any presents, I didn't have to buy any.  I did put up my tree the week before Thanksgiving.  I went for a hike this morning on my nearby trail system armed with my bear spray, because it's been unusually warm and after that last encounter, I'm not going to bank on all of the bears hibernating.  I worked on an ongoing craft project in my garage, and then put the top down on my Miata, turned on the heated seats, and took a lovely drive.  Yep, top down on Christmas Day.  I'll email my friends in Montana about that.  The whole day was one relaxing Christmas.  I hope I hope to see a few more as quiet and stress free as this one.

Gawdzilla Sama

A couple I've known for years bought a place in Montana. They're so far back in the sticks the sunlight comes in on horseback. After they bought the place a ranger came around and advised them they would have to keep their hot tub going all winter.  A black bear sow dens under the nice warm spot and has 1 or 2 cubs a year.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I'm curious - what's the range on that bear spray?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

At least it works against rubber sharks!  LOL
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 26, 2019, 01:19:58 PM
I'm curious - what's the range on that bear spray?
I remember reading someplace that you should discharge the spray at a distance of 12 feet from the bear.  Aim for the face.  I just checked the canister and it does not say, but there is a lot in the directions.  It's odd that that specific issue is not addressed.   I test sprayed one time years ago, and the mist reaches out about 10 to 15 feet and then dissipates. The mist has paint in it, and you will know you're in range if you are close enough to paint the bear.

QuoteEffective distance will vary depending on the manufacturer of the spray, but sprays are reported to be effective when sprayed at a charging or aggressive bear from a distance of 1.5 to 3 meters (4 ft 11 in to 9 ft 10 in).

Unbeliever

Let's hope the bear isn't coming at you from up-wind on a very windy day!
God Not Found

SGOS

Last year, a friend of mine in Montana was walking along the river when he was attacked by a deranged stranger with a knife.  He had bear spray, which saved his life.  The man stabbed him several times before my friend was able to get his bear spray out and give him a blast of the stuff.  This stopped the attack.

https://www.thewesternnews.com/breaking_news/20181112/libby_man_stable_following_sunday_afternoon_stabbing

November 12, 2018 at 2:17 pm | By JOHN BLODGETT The Western News

A Libby man in his seventies was in stable condition Monday after being stabbed multiple times Sunday late afternoon while out for a walk. His suspected attacker was arrested shortly thereafter.

Doug Crum was stabbed at least 10 times and suffered two collapsed lungs in the attack, Lincoln County Sheriff Roby Bowe said Monday. The incident occurred on the path that extends beyond the end of Kootenai River Road in Libby.

Bowe said Crum was setting out on a routine five-mile walk when he “noticed an individual acting different” at the end of the road.

The man’s behavior made Crum “a little bit nervous,” Bowe said, yet he decided to proceed as planned.

Crum was about three-quarters of a mile into his walk when he turned and saw the man following him and holding a knife, Bowe said.

Without saying a word, the man â€" later identified as Michael Borchardt Robertson, 24, of Yakima, Washington â€" started attacking Crum with the knife, Bowe said.

Robertson stabbed Crum in the front and back at least 10 times before Crum was able to use bear spray to stop the attack, Bowe said.

Despite his injuries and finding it “hard to breathe,” Bowe said Crum walked back to his car and reported the incident to a passerby before driving home. From there his wife drove him to Cabinet Peaks Medical Center.

On the way to the hospital they came across sheriff’s deputies responding to a 911 call from the passerby Crum had notified, Bowe said. The deputies followed the couple to Cabinet Peaks, got a description of the suspect from Crum and returned to the scene of the stabbing, where they found Robertson nearby and arrested him.

Crum was flown to Kalispell Regional Medical Center, where he was in the intensive care unit and in stable condition Monday, Bowe said. Crum’s prognosis was “very good” and could be attributed to his high fitness level, he said.

Bowe said the attack was still being investigated and no motive had yet been identified. He said they were “looking at mental issues” as potential factors.

Crum’s ability to respond to and survive the attack “lends credence to people needing to be aware of their surroundings and pay attention,” Bowe said.

“That [awareness] helped him stop the attack,” he said.

Bowe did not yet know what charge or charges Robertson might face.

Munch

While I like all the stuff leading up to christmas, the shopping and visiting festive locations, seeing family and friends, the food, the whole thing of deciding what to get everyone, I'll be honest I just as much love when it's all over with, seen the last of my visiting relatives, all stored up on food to last, and just finally can relax and kick back days after it all.

I've nothing on for the next 2 weeks so just going to do whatever I feel like, watch some movies or TV shows, eat whatever I feel like, play whatever games I like and just enjoy the me time post Christmas
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin