News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Joan of Arc recognizing charles/ESP

Started by Cyclone, December 15, 2019, 10:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclone

Maybe this belongs more in another box but since she's best known as a religious figure I figured i would start here.

Joan of Arc story is highly  mythologized but going over her court transcripts is fascinating. She claimed she could know Charles VII immediately despite never seeing him, and according to some of the court documents she did. Some witnesses just say she presented herself to the king but others say the king hid himself incognito in the crowd of his court and yet she went right to him. Considering it was the 1420s I find it doubtful she had ever seen a portrait of him. I'm not a theist at and her supposed predictions are all vague or cold reading  (like no shit you predict you'll be hurt in a battle) but how could she have known a man shed never seen?

Baruch

I like Joan of Arc.  But there is an analysis that says she wasn't innocent.  What is commonly presented, including in The Messenger, is a hagiography.

There are some of the more recent questions that have come up ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceQ_cmzxeKE
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cyclone on December 15, 2019, 10:28:59 PMShe claimed she could know Charles VII immediately despite never seeing him
Whoa!  That's weird!  I'm racking my brain trying to figure out a way someone could possibly know what their ruler looks like without personally meeting them.

So, did Kings around that time not appear on coins?  Or have portraits made?  Or statues?  Jeez, this is a tough one!

Cyclone

Tbh I figured there wouldn't be a lot of pictures of the dethroned prince(she called him her king but he wasn't quite)  kicking around poor villages in 1420

PopeyesPappy

Cyclone,

What is your relationship with Syrimoon?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Official documents are never retrofitted. Right?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Cyclone on December 16, 2019, 01:22:30 AM
Tbh I figured there wouldn't be a lot of pictures of the dethroned prince(she called him her king but he wasn't quite)  kicking around poor villages in 1420
Clearly, there's not a mundane explaination and magic is the safe bet.

There are many ways a sword can be found in a field, you know.  (or maybe you dont)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w47UQxld7LM

Baruch

In America, I know a guy who would use a "Water witch" to find water, probably even easier to find a sword.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

There's no real reason to believe this actually happened.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 17, 2019, 11:01:30 AM
There's no real reason to believe this actually happened.

"History is bunk!" - Henry Ford

And not just the fantastic bits.  History is old accepted propaganda.  Until new politics ideologically revises it.  Was George Washington right or wrong?  For that matter, was Hitler right or wrong (given Stalin).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Ford never studied history, he just dabbled at best.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 17, 2019, 02:57:56 PM
Ford never studied history, he just dabbled at best.

Henry Ford made history, he wasn't a %&$^$ historian.  And he was Hitler's favorite American.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

You've never heard of Lindbergh. Non-historians like you and Ford often fuck history up.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 18, 2019, 07:14:59 AM
You've never heard of Lindbergh. Non-historians like you and Ford often fuck history up.

Charles Lindberg Sr?  Yes, he knew that President Wilson was a traitor.  And per President Wilson, enforcing segregation in DC, President Wilson was a racist.

Charles Lindberg Jr?  The Nazi cock sucker?  Yeah, I appreciate Jimmy Stewart playing the part, but the man himself was a psychopath.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

If we are arguing about who Hitler's favorite American was, I'm going to land on the Ford side of the debate. Hitler was a big fan of Ford's publication The International Jew, and it was Ford's portrait hanging above Hitler's desk in 1931 when he told an American journalist that Ford was his inspiration. Ford also received his Grand Cross of the Supreme Order of the German Eagle at the direction of Hitler a couple of months before Goring presented Lindbergh with his.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.