News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Compulsory Sterilization

Started by Elohim, June 23, 2013, 11:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Quote from: "Elohim"Also, what would be the purpose of sterilizing a rapist unless being a rapist is an inheritable trait?
Sterilization is not the same thing as castration. Castration removes the testes which impacts testosterone levels and libido. Its also not reversible as far as I know.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Plu

With current rates of human stupidity, I might actually get behind something like "sterilize everyone at birth and undo the procedure once you've proven capable of caring for a child".

So many people seem completely incapable of acting like a human being, let alone raising one.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Elohim"After they have been proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? Would the procedure be reversible for cases where the alleged rapist was later acquitted?  Also, what would be the purpose of sterilizing a rapist unless being a rapist is an inheritable trait?
It would purportely kill their sex drive and stop them from raping again. It would also serve as a pretty severe punishment. Some think it would be a deterrent. I do not. I also do not think rapists should be surgically castrated. Chemically, maybe. But probably not.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Aroura33

I do agree with forced sterilization, except in cases of rapists and pedofiles, and that is not sterlization exactly, it is hormones to control their libido, the reversible kind.

I do, however, think there is some merit to the idea that people should need a liscence to have children. There should be a maximum number of kids, and you pay a fine or something if you have more, kind of like China. But I would go further. Maybe there should be required training and testing, just like liscensing for driving. Again, if you have kids without that, you pay a fine, or are not eligible for govt aid, or something like that. I have not thought out all the details, and some of those ideas I just listed might be bad in practice. It is just the general idea I am supporting.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"I get pissed off when people keep having kids when they have no intention or ability to look after them......

.....I think when it comes down to it, caring, and compassion for children who are 100% dependent on you is what it's needed. If you don't have that mindset, then I don't think you should have children.

Well said!  =D>

I think much of the problem is based around feckless idiots being given free money every time they drop a sprog.  Take away the incentive and maybe some of the problems would diminish.  Maybe child benefit should only be payable after a certain level of income tax has been paid, or after the parents have reached a certain age or something similar?  Obviously, there will always be problems with any system and people who lose out for whatever reason.... I can't think of a system that would be completely fair.

Anyway... compulsory sterilization?  I can think of cases where I would be glad to see it happen, but that doesn't necessarily make it right...

Jason78

Quote from: "_Xenu_"I'll probably take alot of heat for this, but I think its justified in certain cases involving severe genetic disability.
Didn't they try that in the USA during the 1920's?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "_Xenu_"I'll probably take alot of heat for this, but I think its justified in certain cases involving severe genetic disability.
Didn't they try that in the USA during the 1920's?
I think we have a better understanding of genetics now.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

GSOgymrat

I can't think of a situation in which the social benefits of forced sterilization would outweigh the cost of basic human dignity and self-determination. In North Carolina, where I live, sterilization was carried out by the NC Eugenics Board.

http://www.sterilizationvictims.nc.gov/aboutus.aspx

Shiranu

It seems at this rate it will either be forced sterilization or forced starvation/warfare as the world over-populates and resources dwindle (not helped by the global climate change that will get worse and worse).

Either way, sucks for humanity. Hope science figures something out, or at the very least I am dead and gone before it gets too bad.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Shiranu"It seems at this rate it will either be forced sterilization or forced starvation/warfare as the world over-populates and resources dwindle (not helped by the global climate change that will get worse and worse).
This is likely true. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Mister Agenda

On the bright side, the population is projected to top out in about 40 years and slowly decline for centuries afterward.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

AllPurposeAtheist

And who decides when a 15-20 year old female has intention or ability Fidel? Your Tory's? My kids mother was by any measure one of these horrible people, but you know what? We had kids and they grew up as responsible adults.
How about ALL young people being sterilized till they reach a certain income level or prove 'intent' to actually care for kids? Would you feel better and are you the sole arbitor of who does or doesn't qualify?
 What a load of horseshit..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"And who decides when a 15-20 year old female has intention or ability Fidel?
Child services, usually.

AllPurposeAtheist

Child services cannot determine intent. Intent is, or should be an extremely high bar and not given the usual horseshit response read daily on opinion pages of the daily rag.
I've yet to hear a single prospective mother say, 'Yeah, I fuck like a rabbit to have kids I have no intention of caring for.'
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I've yet to hear a single prospective mother say, 'Yeah, I fuck like a rabbit to have kids I have no intention of caring for.'
And yet, that is a routine occurrence.