News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Compulsory Sterilization

Started by Elohim, June 23, 2013, 11:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elohim

It light of Smartmarzipan's recent request for more discussions, I thought I might come out of my shell a little bit and create a thread or two.

I was recently at work, when I overheard a conversation two people were having about a news article. Part way through the discussion someone made the comment: "Some people should just not be allowed to breed!" We've all heard this before, and probably laughed in agreement, but all kidding aside, are there any justifications for compulsory sterilization? If so, what, and if not, why?

Further info:

Forced sterilization was practiced on criminals the mentally disabled, and as a human population control in the Unites States until eugenics fell out of favor following WWII. It is still practiced in some countries today.
"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
- PopeyesPappy

_Xenu_

I'll probably take alot of heat for this, but I think its justified in certain cases involving severe genetic disability.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Solitary

The father of computer programing and theory Turing was sterilized because he was gay. I believe he killed himself after. Anyone have more on this? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Elohim

Quote from: "_Xenu_"I'll probably take alot of heat for this, but I think its justified in certain cases involving severe genetic disability.
Could you give an example? I assume that the genetic disability would need to be severe enough to be a problem for the species, but not so severe that the person suffering from it would have a hard time procreating in the first place. The first thing i thought of when I read your comment was someone who is a type 1 diabetic or someone with a family history of heart disease. That's just what popped into my head personally, not trying to put words in your mouth.
- PopeyesPappy

Nonsensei

Quote from: "_Xenu_"I'll probably take alot of heat for this, but I think its justified in certain cases involving severe genetic disability.

Why did you think you would take heat for that? Its honestly the safest possible thing to say short of rejecting the concept outright. It also happens to not really be what the thread is about.

Unless I misread the thread, its about forcing sterilization upon people whose lifestyles and choices we do not approve of. Its about deciding that someone is less than us and then using that unilateral conclusion to justify violating them.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Elohim

Quote from: "Nonsensei"It also happens to not really be what the thread is about.

Unless I misread the thread, its about forcing sterilization upon people whose lifestyles and choices we do not approve of. Its about deciding that someone is less than us and then using that unilateral conclusion to justify violating them.
I meant in any situation is there any justification. It's wide open.
- PopeyesPappy

Satt

I'm all for castrating rapists. Does that sort of count?
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"We\'re a bunch of twats on the internet. We can\'t help you. You should see a psychologist.

Solitary

I think it is justified when people reproduce like rabbits and can't feed or support their children. When Oral (what a name) Roberts preached about birth control being a sin, and then went to China and told them that also; they took him into a room where a baby was being born and they stuck a needle in its head to kill it. He never preached against birth control again. :shock:  True story. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Elohim

Quote from: "Satt"I'm all for castrating rapists. Does that sort of count?
After they have been proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? Would the procedure be reversible for cases where the alleged rapist was later acquitted?  Also, what would be the purpose of sterilizing a rapist unless being a rapist is an inheritable trait?
- PopeyesPappy

Elohim

Quote from: "Solitary"I think it is justified when people reproduce like rabbits and can't feed or support their children. When Oral (what a name) Roberts preached about birth control being a sin, and then went to China and told them that also; they took him into a room where a baby was being born and they stuck a needle in its head to kill it. He never preached against birth control again. :shock:  True story. Solitary
So a quota based on income? Kind of like moving into a higher tax bracket?
- PopeyesPappy

Fidel_Castronaut

I get pissed off when people keep having kids when they have no intention or ability to look after them.

My girlfriend's mother works in a relatively poor school in West Yorkshire in the UK. A lot of the kids there have parents who really aren't parents at all. One woman put one of her kids into care (she has 4, put the littlest girl into the system) all because her new boyfriend didnt really like her. This girl was 7 years old and she put a bloke in front of her own goddamn child.

A lot of them are drunks or have drug addictions and have the mindset of children themselves owing to the poor upbringing they probably had. A lot of these people see children as nothing more than accessories, or even just items that happen to exist in their house, to be ignored or disposed of when its inconvenient for them.

To these people I think the whole concept of responsibility, especially parental responsibility which is probably the most important people who have kids have, is just a mystery that they have no knowledge of. I'd like to think they could be taught, but when you're dealing with someone who is prepared to give away one of her daughters because some random stranger she happens to be fucking doesn't like her (however one somehow dislikes a 7 year old) I think it's an impossible mountain to climb. The kind of person my mother in law deals with are, in many instances, beyond help because their attitude of effectively being happy with abusing their children (not washing their kids, not giving them money for food, dressing them in the same clothes weeks on end, giving them away, having kid after kid after kid with no intention to care for them and so on) began when they were abused by their own parents who probably had the same attitude.

Should we sterilize this kind of person? I say its impossible to pre-empt a decision like that becuase you can't look at a person who hasn't had kids and say "they person will abuse their children and not give two shits about their existance." But with the woman I described above who already had 4 kids, I say, yes, there is a case. If the only result of her having more kids is more burden on the state, and more unhappy children with no chance in life because their parents couldn't be bothered to give up their lifestyle of self-centerdness and selfishness, then I would say, personally, its right to not put the children through that abuse.

I feel extremely sorry for that little girl. Seperated from her family and her friends, just becuase her mother preferred a dick in her pussy.

As a caveat, I would say this is not based on income or anything, it's based on basic human compassion and the understanding that when you have a kid you automatically beome second. Nothing you do should ever be to the detriment of you child. But unfortunately, there's a lot of people with the mindset that nothing matters but themselves whether they're poor or rich. But I find it shit because I am From a poor background, from one of the poorest areas in all of England. But because my parents cared i went to a great school, graduated from Oxford and now have a great life (despite not really having too much money).

I think when it comes down to it, caring, and compassion for children who are 100% dependent on you is what it's needed. If you don't have that mindset, then I don't think you should have children.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

aitm

anybody named "honey boo-boo" must automatically be sliced, anyone appearing on "jersey shore" anyone who ever appeared on Jerry Springer anyone who breathlessly waits for any reality show....(sorry) and anyone who makes the Wal-Mart pics..Start there and we could raise the IQ about 30 points worldwide.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Nonsensei

Quote from: "aitm"anybody named "honey boo-boo" must automatically be sliced, anyone appearing on "jersey shore" anyone who ever appeared on Jerry Springer anyone who breathlessly waits for any reality show....(sorry) and anyone who makes the Wal-Mart pics..Start there and we could raise the IQ about 30 points worldwide.

My point is proven.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "aitm"anybody named "honey boo-boo" must automatically be sliced, anyone appearing on "jersey shore" anyone who ever appeared on Jerry Springer anyone who breathlessly waits for any reality show....(sorry) and anyone who makes the Wal-Mart pics..Start there and we could raise the IQ about 30 points worldwide.

Darn youtube links :-/

Another point is who would enforce it anyway. The state? I don't think the state is the preferable medium in which to identify where sterilization should take place and to what degree.

The practicalities of such a policy would seem to be unfeasible to enact in reality.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR