News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What do you think happened at Zeitoun?

Started by Syrimoon, November 24, 2019, 10:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

You're a nut case? Nah, I don't believe you.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 24, 2019, 05:19:39 PM
I feel like I have an abundance of those right now

How were all of you able to do it? What am I missing between "I don't know what happened here but it isn't god" to "they claim it's real and there's evidence so ikts god?" I'm so damn torn because I can read articles about the sketchy origins of all these stories and agree yeah, the id religion isn't true, but you show me Marian apparitions that I don't know How to explain and suddenly it's new evidence to send backwards
Look, you cannot 'know' everything.  There are literally thousands upon thousands of mysteries in nature.  People hate mysteries.  So, god was born (or created by people) to answer just those questions.  If you run across a mystery, then simple--god did it.  Then it is no longer a mystery.  Go back 200 years and tell me what people would have thought of TV, or movies, or passenger airlines.  Miracles, all.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 24, 2019, 05:43:31 PM
At least he didn't kill your fig trees!

That story was symbolic, too bad literalists can only read comics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on November 25, 2019, 11:05:20 AM
That story was symbolic, too bad literalists can only read comics.

Yeah...

The problem is, there is no primer for the Bible that definitively tells us fallible humans, just which passages are: metaphor, symbolic, literal, poetry, prarble, instructions, etc, etc.

For every theist that bases their theism on the Bible, we get just as many opinions on which of the above category almost every passage in the Bible fits into to. Jews reject the entire New Testament, Muslims claim Jesus was a Prophet and not a god-man, and Christians claim the Old Testament is loaded with prophecies foretelling of Jesus arrival (which the Jews admitently disagree with). 

Then there is the fact that there are over 30K sects if Christianity, many with major differences on 'important' doctrine.

So, get back to us on exactly how you go about determining which passages are: literal, symbolic, metaphor, etc. And why we should believe your interpretation, and not all the other theists who disagree with you.

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on November 25, 2019, 12:24:03 PM
Yeah...

The problem is, there is no primer for the Bible that definitively tells us fallible humans, just which passages are: metaphor, symbolic, literal, poetry, prarble, instructions, etc, etc.

For every theist that bases their theism on the Bible, we get just as many opinions on which of the above category almost every passage in the Bible fits into to. Jews reject the entire New Testament, Muslims claim Jesus was a Prophet and not a god-man, and Christians claim the Old Testament is loaded with prophecies foretelling of Jesus arrival (which the Jews admitently disagree with). 

Then there is the fact that there are over 30K sects if Christianity, many with major differences on 'important' doctrine.

So, get back to us on exactly how you go about determining which passages are: literal, symbolic, metaphor, etc. And why we should believe your interpretation, and not all the other theists who disagree with you.

That is why you need an infallible Papacy to interpret things for you ;-)  I don't base my own personality on some book.  So interpretation isn't an issue for me.

No, the only one true interpretation of the Bible or any other literature ... is the atheist way.  Poetry should only be judged by people who hate poetry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

What do I think happened? Mass hysteria, as tends to happen at any gathering of fervent believers. Visit a megachurch sometime and you can witness the behavior for yourself.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel