News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What do you think happened at Zeitoun?

Started by Syrimoon, November 24, 2019, 10:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

A lot of weeping statues have been attested to over the years. But how can it really be determined whether the phenomenon can only be explained by assuming that a deity did it? Do we say "Well, we can see how it could possibly be anything other than the work of God, so God must have done it!"

No, because if we'd have done that we'd still be living in the Dark Age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_statue#Hoaxes_and_skepticism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_statue#List_of_weeping_statues
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on November 24, 2019, 05:06:32 PM
If you don't experience it yourself, then it isn't of much use to you.  This applies to almost everything.  I experience G-d all the time, being a mystic.  So that precaution is waived in my case, and others like me.  Oh, I met Jesus in one of my vivid dreams.  But was it Jesus, or just me being Jesus?  Anyway, he didn't impart much, not even a winning lotto ticket number.

At least he didn't kill your fig trees!
God Not Found

Syrimoon

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 24, 2019, 05:31:58 PM
A lot of weeping statues have been attested to over the years. But how can it really be determined whether the phenomenon can only be explained by assuming that a deity did it? Do we say "Well, we can see how it could possibly be anything other than the work of God, so God must have done it!"

No, because if we'd have done that we'd still be living in the Dark Age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_statue#Hoaxes_and_skepticism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_statue#List_of_weeping_statues

And despite all the hoaxes and ways to take it my frazed brain still looks at how Akita bled on tv and is still held by the church as being true. Which yes I suppose just because they claim to have high standards doesn't mean they do ,  it very well could be faked, even for a tv broadcast. I'm still strugeing with how the nun knew she would recover from her hearing loss though, it seems such a stretch of coicondience. Could she already be having signs of her hearing returning? I have no doubt that spontaneous healing of any malady cam happen, it's when healings coincide with prophesies or visions that i give pause

Unbeliever

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 24, 2019, 05:19:39 PM
I feel like I have an abundance of those right now

How were all of you able to do it? What am I missing between "I don't know what happened here but it isn't god" to "they claim it's real and there's evidence so ikts god?" I'm so damn torn because I can read articles about the sketchy origins of all these stories and agree yeah, the id religion isn't true, but you show me Marian apparitions that I don't know How to explain and suddenly it's new evidence to send backwards

Many Marian apparitions are just pareidolia. That's the tendency of people to se order where there is only random pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1kWzTbIjo
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

SoldierofFortune

There are 3 options about who you are:

-Your brain has been washed since your childhood that although you are not mentally handicapped.
-You are a troll.
-Or you are a total idiot.

Syrimoon

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 24, 2019, 05:56:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwcffJgchWg

See how easy it is to see things that just aren't there?

I can definatelt see that as being bullshit. It's just seeing faces. It's hard for me to put that in the same category though of people having multiple full fledged visions and then being healed from physical conditions right after

Like with akita, I think, yes she could be lying and making her own stigmata and someone could be taking the statue crying and messing with the samples and her hearing loss and return  (and then loss and return again...) could be a coincidence...but isn't that a lot ?

Syrimoon

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on November 24, 2019, 06:13:02 PM
There are 3 options about who you are:

-Your brain has been washed since your childhood that although you are not mentally handicapped.
-You are a troll.
-Or you are a total idiot.

I'm not a troll. If you want to call me an idiot I'm ok with that

I haven't eaten in 2 days, I can't even get the energy to wash my face or brush my teeth, I'm absolutely sick with panic over these issues. I'm not a troll

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 24, 2019, 06:17:01 PM
I'm not a troll. If you want to call me an idiot I'm ok with that

I haven't eaten in 2 days, I can't even get the energy to wash my face or brush my teeth, I'm absolutely sick with panic over these issues. I'm not a troll

Hmmm, From the wiev of an amateur psyciatrist and it is me, you may be a passionate idealist, who is trying finding the truth in your own way.
However it is not a good thing to be a passionate idealist sometimes, as in your situation, if you are saying the truth what you have been undergoing in 2 days… Yours is an obsession, an obsession to quest the truth but you are lost in no good way...

Unbeliever

Why panic? What's the rush, you'll understand or not, but why worry? You only get this one life, why spend it worrying about things you can never really know for sure?
God Not Found

Syrimoon

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 24, 2019, 06:24:43 PM
Why panic? What's the rush, you'll understand or not, but why worry? You only get this one life, why spend it worrying about things you can never really know for sure?
Here's my thing. I went through this before as a Catholic for about five years. It nearly cost me everything I held dear. I escaped and lived very happily. I have a job, a nice place,  a wife.

And now I'm seeing all these indications towards Catholicism being true and it's terrifying me to the bone because I feel like somethinf is telling me,  you know it's true, you're just afraid to go back because you want to live in sin

And I do. If being married to my wife is sin  (I'm a chick). I keep looking at her, love of my fucking life and all I can think is, I have to give her up. I have to lose her, because the church says so.

So you can call me an idiot or a dumb ass but I'm not a troll, I'm fucking suffering

Minimalist

How come no one ever sees an image of Stormy Daniels flashing her tits.

Now those are miraculous.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

I haven't called you an idiot. You may be one, but I went through a similar, (well, maybe not too similar) time in my life. Once I came to stop believing I was never tempted to return to that state of mind of belief. It isn't just God I don't believe in, though, but many things that most people hold dear. But not believing in things isn't necessarily a negative stance:

Quote from: Barbara Smoker, former president of the National Secular Society,
The point is surely that the only kind of unremitting negativism is apathy, not attack. Everthing that is attacked has its obverse 'positive' side. If you are against war, you are for peace; if you are against priveledge, you are for equality; if you are against censorship, you are for freedom of speech; if you are against superstition, you are for reason; if you are against humbug, you are for honesty; and if you are against mystical obscurantism, you are for freethought.
God Not Found