Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Lourdes impossible to refute ?

Started by Syrimoon, November 22, 2019, 01:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 22, 2019, 02:52:16 PM
Well no but Lourdes has an entire medical committe to examine modern cures

Back in the day, many, many scientists were fooled by mediums into believing they (the mediums) were able to talk to and hear dead people. Stage magicians were able to see past their crap and show how they were cheating. Cheating for money, no less.

I wonder how much money the town of Lourdes takes in every year from tourists and those who are hoping for a healing?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Still waiting for a reason there are no prosthetic limbs in with the canes and crutches.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Religion can be a very lucrative enterprise.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 22, 2019, 05:23:16 PM
Religion can be a very lucrative enterprise.
"The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion." L. Ron Hubbard
PZ Myers

Syrimoon

Quote from: Baruch on November 22, 2019, 03:59:43 PM
If they are psychosomatic, then yes.  There are many kinds of disease.  And they manifest differently in each individual differently, each time..  Even from the natural POV, this is why medicine is hard.  Your mind effects the health of your whole body.  If the mind is sufficiently broken, the effects are horrifying.  When my mother was nearing her end, and was in temporary psychosis at the hospital, it was something I didn't want to experience, nor for her to.  This is why medical personnel who care, burn out quickly.

I mean I follow you but I feel like these are way too solid and substantial problems to be all in their heads?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 22, 2019, 05:56:50 PM
I mean I follow you but I feel like these are way too solid and substantial problems to be all in their heads?
Why? They talked themselves into that situation, they have been known to talk themselves out of it. And you can't generalize here, each case should be taken on its own merits.
PZ Myers

Syrimoon

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 22, 2019, 06:16:19 PM
Why? They talked themselves into that situation, they have been known to talk themselves out of it. And you can't generalize here, each case should be taken on its own merits.
But children and oaraglegics and eyesore healing and scarring disappearing before their eyes ...im sorry, I m ofnthis sounds stupid but unexplained miracle is making the most sense to me and I hate it

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 22, 2019, 06:21:24 PM
But children and oaraglegics and eyesore healing and scarring disappearing before their eyes ...im sorry, I m ofnthis sounds stupid but unexplained miracle is making the most sense to me and I hate it
Bullshit, you're a believer and a concern troll. You couldn't be more obvious.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 22, 2019, 06:21:24 PM

I hear stories of healing, but that's all they are to me, just stories.
God Not Found

Syrimoon

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 22, 2019, 07:01:28 PM
Bullshit, you're a believer and a concern troll. You couldn't be more obvious.

No, im...i don't know what I am now but I don't/want/ to believe. I'm sorry I just had several years of religious trauma

Syrimoon

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 22, 2019, 07:05:43 PM
I hear stories of healing, but that's all they are to me, just stories.

I can admit I'm a little frustrated and overwhelmed by how we don't have straight answers readily available to each and every case, especially the oldest ones since they seem the most wild

Unbeliever

Many people had religious parents and communities as kids. I sure did. When I was 14 I was "on fire for God" as the Baptists called it, but I began to have major doubts after reading the Bible. I was told by my pastor and family that I should read "God's Word" so I did. After I finished I was no longer a believer in the Bible's truth. I didn't become an atheist until long after that, but I stopped being a Christian.

I recommend reading the whole Bible to anyone who wants to convert me to Christianity, but they almost never do. Only a very small percentage of Christians have read the entire thing, because it's a very confusing and boring book. I'm convinced that they don't really believe it to be God's Holy Word, any more than I do.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 22, 2019, 07:33:44 PM
I can admit I'm a little frustrated and overwhelmed by how we don't have straight answers readily available to each and every case, especially the oldest ones since they seem the most wild

The burden of proof is on them if they want people to believe their stories. It's not on us to prove they're not miracles.
God Not Found