News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Lourdes impossible to refute ?

Started by Syrimoon, November 22, 2019, 01:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 23, 2019, 12:05:23 PM
Magic, of course. Go have fun with your idols.

I like my idols.  Beautiful women for example.  If I go to Hell, then I get all the beautiful women ;-)  Their vanity will keep them out of Heaven.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I guess even demi-gods use a bit of wishful thinking from time to time.  LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 23, 2019, 03:30:37 PM
I am neither. I'm just lost, scared and confused

If you want it, here you can be found, stop being scared, get your ideas straight.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 23, 2019, 04:57:29 PM
Because it's been soundly debunked as a forgery in a way i can understand but there's still parts of Lourdes I don't understand. I know that just because I don't understand it doesn't make it real but that's where I'm at

So you expect for example to understand St Joan of Arc?  I am a big fan of hers. Like any man, she being a women, I don't expect to understand her.  But I can still admire her.  And I don't have to think she was anything other than a crypto-pagan from the Celtic universe (Morrigan).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 23, 2019, 06:24:08 PM
I guess even demi-gods use a bit of wishful thinking from time to time.  LOL

They are demi-goddesses.  You go to Heaven (Jesus of SF) ... boring harp playing and being celibate.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Syrimoon

Thabks everyone for your continued inpute

I did read through a case today of a doctor in therapy 1900s who saw a miracle at Lourdes and then converted to Christianity. He wrote about what he saw, but-

She was an immensely stressed woman sick for most of her life and could have been mis diagnosed

She was a firm believer and if she had a psychosomatic illness or could account for her symptoms decreasing in the hours aft r as she relaxes

He talks of a tumor on her back that shrunk wit in hours but how do they know it was a tumor and not a fluid pocket or intestinal

Sal1981

Why assume straight out the bat that god is somehow involved?

Syrimoon

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 23, 2019, 09:27:43 PM
Why assume straight out the bat that god is somehow involved?

Mostly fear of the unknown I think. I'm really good at playing out worst case scenarios

Sal1981

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 23, 2019, 09:35:19 PM
Mostly fear of the unknown I think. I'm really good at playing out worst case scenarios
The human propensity to insert answers where there is none is a flaw, yes. A flaw that I have in check, for the most part.

Syrimoon

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 23, 2019, 09:53:13 PM
The human propensity to insert answers where there is none is a flaw, yes. A flaw that I have in check, for the most part.

Its definatelt hard, especially with thibgs that .maybe done have a solid explanation all the time like "miraxle" healing

Hydra009

Put it this way, do you know of any hospitals that use "miracle" healing?  Ever wonder why?

Baruch

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 23, 2019, 09:35:19 PM

I know it is past Halloween, but shall I send my ghost cats to help you overcome fear? (sarc)

The worst case scenario isn't Hell, it is ruining what life you have, living in unnecessary fear.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 23, 2019, 09:53:13 PM

If you are in relationship, then you are in check-mate ;-)  The Queen is the most powerful piece.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Syrimoon on November 23, 2019, 11:30:28 PM
Its definatelt hard, especially with thibgs that .maybe done have a solid explanation all the time like "miraxle" healing
Miracle healing, good.  Shroud of Turin, bad.  But I can equally argue that the Shroud of Turin has never been adequately debunked, while miracle healing was exposed as a fraud back in the 1950s.  Many believers still hold the Shroud in deep respect.  And everyone knows forensic science is bunk.

QuoteIn 1956, the healing revival reached its peak number of evangelists holding campaigns, as 49 separate evangelists held major meetings.[9] By 1960 the number of evangelists holding national campaigns dropped to less than a dozen.[9] Several perspectives have been offered regarding the decline of the healing revival. Crowder suggests that Branham's gradual separation from Gordon Lindsay played a major part in the decline.[10] Harrell attributed the decline to the increasing number of evangelists crowding the field and straining the financial resources of the Pentecostal denominations.[11] Weaver similarly agreed that Pentecostal churches gradually withdrew their support of the healing revivals primarily over the financial stresses put on local churches by the healing campaigns.[12] The Assemblies of God led the way, being the first to openly withdraw from the healing revival in 1953.[12] Weaver pointed to other factors which may have played a role in destroying the initial ecumenism of the revival: tension between the independent evangelists and the Pentecostal churches caused by the evangelists' fund-raising methods; denominational pride; sensationalism; and doctrinal conflicts, particularly between the Oneness and Trinitarian factions within Pentecostalism.[12]

These points may be arguable, but I have one thing in my favor that seals the deal.  I want to believe in the Shroud.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 24, 2019, 07:38:20 AM
Miracle healing, good.  Shroud of Turin, bad.  But I can equally argue that the Shroud of Turin has never been adequately debunked, while miracle healing was exposed as a fraud back in the 1950s.  Many believers still hold the Shroud in deep respect.  And everyone knows forensic science is bunk.

These points may be arguable, but I have one thing in my favor that seals the deal.  I want to believe in the Shroud.

Geometic analysis of faces, facial recognition.  It has been shown that the face in the Shroud, has the exact same proportions as that of a self portrait of Leonardo.  Why?  Because per Highlander, Leonardo was ... Jesus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.