Thought experiments from vivid dreams ... real dreams last night.

Started by Baruch, March 09, 2020, 09:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Scenario #1

Prisoner of vaguely E European nation.  Living as a "mess" servant to enemy officers in a military compound.  Full Stockholm syndrome.  No freedom of course.  Is it just me, or are some of the young officers human enough that i can empathize with them?  Would I be willing to kill some of them to escape?  Would I really be willing to launch a nuclear war to prevent this for myself or for my family?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Scenario #2

Planet of the Apes in reverse.  Cave man living in a zoo with other mixed animals in the same open cage.  Civilized people are coming to visit to see the animals, and me.  I have no language, just shouts and growls.  I am young, athletic and curious.  I try to develop a relationship with the other animals.  One of the animals is a leopard.  We have a more complex relationship.  We play with each other, but it is a deadly game with fatal consequences for me.  I have access to tools, flexible tree branches stripped, that allow me to flexibly push the big cat to a non-claw distance.  Kitty and I play on ground and in tree, my senses and agility are peak experience, and that tool keeps me relatively safe, but doesn't discourage the leopard!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 09, 2020, 02:12:31 PM
Life is a deadly game with fatal consequences for you.

... for y'all.  (corrected).  But do the moral questions involved, stimulate?  Or are you happy with your Stockholm syndrome here in the zoo?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 10, 2020, 03:57:11 AM
Dreams are a load of nonsense.

See my other response on "absolute nihilism".  Being "woke" is nonsense.  Being awake is sensible.  Dreams are involuntary recreation, but also stimulus for insight.  That is how Dr Kukule imagined the molecular structure of benzene.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on March 10, 2020, 11:43:13 AM
See my other response on "absolute nihilism".  Being "woke" is nonsense.  Being awake is sensible.  Dreams are involuntary recreation, but also stimulus for insight.  That is how Dr Kukule imagined the molecular structure of benzene.
He might have been inspired by a dream, but his conscious mind discovered the structure of benzene.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2020, 04:34:35 PM
... for y'all.  (corrected).  But do the moral questions involved, stimulate?  Or are you happy with your Stockholm syndrome here in the zoo?

I don't strive for happiness, I strive to avoid unhappiness.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 10, 2020, 12:19:49 PM
He might have been inspired by a dream, but his conscious mind discovered the structure of benzene.

The idea was discovered.  But experiment was required to confirm it.  That was no dream ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 10, 2020, 01:29:32 PM
I don't strive for happiness, I strive to avoid unhappiness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrenaics

The Greek colonists in Cyrene were pushers ...

"Silphium, a species of giant fennel native to north Africa, may have been used as an oral contraceptive in ancient Greece and the ancient Near East.  The plant only grew on a small strip of land near the coastal city of Cyrene (located in modern-day Libya) and all attempts to cultivate it elsewhere resulted in failure.  Silphium was primarily used for culinary purposes and its use as a contraceptive is far less documented than its use as a seasoning.  Accounts of silphium's contraceptive effectiveness are probably greatly exaggerated.  Possibly due to its supposed effectiveness and thus desirability, by the first century AD, it had become so rare that it was worth more than its weight in silver and, by late antiquity, it was fully extinct."
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gregory

"I awoke, only to find that the rest of the world was still asleep."
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 10, 2020, 10:17:30 PM
"I awoke, only to find that the rest of the world was still asleep."
- Leonardo Da Vinci

He should have told his boyfriend (he was gay and had a relationship with his apprentice) to not be such a bitch in bed ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.