Why do SOME atheists think they are special because they're an atheist...?

Started by twozerozeroonefive, October 25, 2019, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Moon

What you are describing in the OP tends to be the behavior of relatively recent atheists.

When one breaks out of indoctrination, dogmatic thinkings, comes to the conclusion that the evidence for the existence of gods is vastly insufficient, the philosophical arguments are all flawed, etc, etc, their newly found freedom of thought tends to point out how gullible their previous worldview was.

It's kind of hard not to want to point out just how unjustified theists beliefs are.

This can make them come off like dicks, or they might even be dicks.

Most recent atheists settle down after some time, and become more understated.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on November 04, 2019, 05:15:12 PM
What you are describing in the OP tends to be the behavior of relatively recent atheists.

When one breaks out of indoctrination, dogmatic thinkings, comes to the conclusion that the evidence for the existence of gods is vastly insufficient, the philosophical arguments are all flawed, etc, etc, their newly found freedom of thought tends to point out how gullible their previous worldview was.

It's kind of hard not to want to point out just how unjustified theists beliefs are.

This can make them come off like dicks, or they might even be dicks.

Most recent atheists settle down after some time, and become more understated.

Ex smokers are the worst people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Some people are just that way--obnoxious.  They can be found in any and every group one can name.  Being an atheist does not mean anything other than an atheist doesn't believe in any god/gods.  That's it.  So, don't ever think that the label of 'atheist'  means they think alike--they don't.  And, yes, I don't like obnoxious atheists nor even, obnoxious Yankee fans--even if those don't exist. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SoldierofFortune

I have learned a word from a friend that suits the OP: exulansis; search for it if you don't already know.

aitm

Well, being that we atheists are smaller in number we have very few IRL acquaintances that are also atheist, we have little behavior to pattern after or to use someone as a mentor, so sometimes appropriate behavior is simply not having examples to follow.......believers on the other hand.......hoo-boy!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on November 07, 2019, 11:42:52 AM
Well, being that we atheists are smaller in number we have very few IRL acquaintances that are also atheist, we have little behavior to pattern after or to use someone as a mentor, so sometimes appropriate behavior is simply not having examples to follow.......believers on the other hand.......hoo-boy!

I would not approve, of exiling atheists to the Island of Broken Toys … just so that networking and mentoring are easier.  With the Internet, proximity isn't necessary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 07, 2019, 01:17:00 PM
Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.

;-)

G-d, in my experience, is a-moral, not a-theist.  There are no happy endings for monkey people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on November 07, 2019, 11:53:37 AM
We're smart enough not to think that fairy tales are real.

Most people over 9.  Over 9, you start believing in political agendas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'm pretty sure that particular preacher didn't have an iPhone...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 28, 2020, 01:36:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that particular preacher didn't have an iPhone...

Jews are aliens who came thru the Stargate ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.