Why do SOME atheists think they are special because they're an atheist...?

Started by twozerozeroonefive, October 25, 2019, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twozerozeroonefive

I'm not trying to start a flame war, nor is there anything wrong with being an atheist; but it's just that SOME -- not all -- but SOME just think they are special and open-minded just because they don't believe in a deity, and SOME of them try to shit on anyone who is religious.

Like, what is this? The '60s? Being an atheist doesn't make you special these days, nor does it automatically make you open-minded.

SOME atheists, from what I've heard, are just as close-minded as a lot of conservative Christians.

Like I said before, nothing wrong with being an atheist; it's just annoying that SOME -- but not all -- of them like to think they're special and shove their beliefs down other people's throats while disrespecting anyone who is religious.

Don't mean stir up shit. I just needed to get this off my chest.

But don't you guys find this annoying too?
Something, something, something...

Shiranu

It's all about what stage you are in life, what type of culture you grew up in, etc. etc. .
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Social/cultural overlaps.  If you had a group of people of very high social/cultural standing (say college professors), and they happened to have a larger than average number of atheists ... then those atheists will have picked up on the general snobbishness of the group.  Mostly here, the snobbishness comes from intellectual/artistic pretension ... the people most likely to be Progressive.  Religious people are stereotyped as below average in social/cultural standing aka Rednecks.  Being an atheist is just another litmus test to check off on, concerning their ... elite status.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Because religon is bogus and those who get in the fantasy life are brainwashed fools that shove their religion forcibly down peoples throats like they have been doing for thousands of years. Then they have the audacity to say we atheist (whom are a minority) are being mean to religious people whom are very hypocritical and have double standards. It's no wonder why atheist have become militant. Religious people get in the way of progress and science all the time any deny everything until their preacher or "god" tells them to. It's by far not what you were born to, mostly it's atheists who skeptically think above the common folk and take an interest in reality even though reality is full of shit that was made by the "divine" assholes whom ruled the world politically with their ignorance.

Baruch

Well aren't you a special flower child ;-)

Been studying Nahua (Aztec), going to start Yucatec (Maya) soon.  I must be a redneck.

Skepticism is OK, but can be taken too far.  Do you doubt your own existence?  If not, why not?

In the USA, things are run more by political ideology, not by Bible quotes.  Otherwise there would be no legal gay marriages.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Live and let live. Just too bad that some people think they have the right to force their beliefs onto others.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: twozerozeroonefive on October 25, 2019, 09:53:19 PM
Being an atheist doesn't make you special these days, nor does it automatically make you open-minded.
No, but it's strange to hear Christians admonishing atheists to be open minded because they don't believe in an unseen, un-provable entity that doesn't seem to be there.

SGOS

Being an atheist doesn't make you special these days
We are no more or less special than we were 50 years ago.  We are just slightly more into the mainstream of society, and I suspect that may be what is really sticking in your craw.

SGOS

SOME just think they are special and open-minded just because they don't believe in a deity
Many Christians think they are special because they do believe in a deity. So what?

SGOS

SOME of them try to shit on anyone who is religious.
No Christian would ever shit on an atheist, right?  And no Baptist would ever shit on a Catholic, right?  Are you above that sort of behavior?

SGOS

It's just annoying that SOME [atheists] -- but not all -- of them like to think they're special and shove their beliefs down other people's throats
Do you really want to pick THAT fight?

Unbeliever

I'm not trying to start a flame war, nor is there anything wrong with being an atheist; but it's just that SOME -- not all -- but SOME just think they are special and open-minded just because they don't believe in a deity, and SOME of them try to shit on anyone who is religious.

Like, what is this? The '60s? Being an atheist doesn't make you special these days, nor does it automatically make you open-minded.

SOME atheists, from what I've heard, are just as close-minded as a lot of conservative Christians.

Like I said before, nothing wrong with being an atheist; it's just annoying that SOME -- but not all -- of them like to think they're special and shove their beliefs down other people's throats while disrespecting anyone who is religious.

Don't mean stir up shit. I just needed to get this off my chest.

But don't you guys find this annoying too?

It has nothing at all to do with their atheism, it's just that there are different personality types among both the religious and the non-religious. Some people are arrogant fools no matter what it is they believe or don't believe.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

As I posted a couple of days ago:

QuoteResponse to the claim made by Pastor Rick Warren and others that “atheism is arrogant”:

Quote from: Daniel MiesslerLet me get this straight. You think the Creator of the Universe cares personally about your life, and that you know, with absolute certainty, what he wants for all of humankind.
While I think that we’re basically alone, not very special, and are just fumbling through our random existence trying to do the best we can.
And I’m the arrogant one?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 26, 2019, 07:51:58 AM
Live and let live. Just too bad that some people think they have the right to force their beliefs onto others.

Every group, every individual ... are the Chosen Ones or The Chosen One.  Everyone is self-justified in their own circular psychopathy.

@twozerozeroonefive ... were you expecting atheists to be more rational than theists?  That there is one definition of atheism, that every atheist agrees to it, and all atheists uphold it?  We are not Vulcans!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.