Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ?

Started by Daniel Wilson, January 18, 2020, 09:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gregory on March 06, 2020, 02:41:15 AM
We only use 10% of our brains, so what does that tell us?

Which 10% do we use? You think you could get along just fine if you excised 90% of your brain?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 06, 2020, 01:53:59 PM
Which 10% do we use? You think you could get along just fine if you excised 90% of your brain?
I always wondered.  Did scientists come up with that, or was it philosophers?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Gregory on March 06, 2020, 02:41:15 AM
We only use 10% of our brains, so what does that tell us?

It tells me you get your information from folklore and urban myths.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

I'm so fucking tired of seeing that myth. Evolution does not favor such wasted energy. If we really only used 10% of our brains, natural selection would weed out the other 90%. Even Teen Titans Go, a show I hate for devolving a great show into a brainless collection of fart jokes, got this right... I hate praising that show, but it's the ONLY media I've seen that educates the public on the truth about this myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoUE35uUfqg
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

The Sci Fi movie, Lucy, with Scarlett Johansson is fun but it kind of carries the fiction in science fiction to an extreme.  Here's Morgan Freeman in the movie lecturing a bunch of grad students on what is possible with 20%, 40%, 60% brain access. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=567KlA26EwY

Here's Lucy realizing some of her new powers, but it's only the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Zk_lMQVdE

It's a fun flick, but you have to push the envelope on your ability to suspend reality.

Baruch

Only Democrats, and Chinese communists, are brainiacs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gregory

As around 10% of the world's population is atheist: this sounds correct.  One thing that I do know for a fact is that far less than 1% of the prison population in any given country is atheist.  Atheists are not only morally superior, they are intellectually superior as well.  Observations of the dumb bums who call themselves religious convinces me of this.

Baruch

Quote from: Gregory on March 16, 2020, 02:44:06 AM
As around 10% of the world's population is atheist: this sounds correct.  One thing that I do know for a fact is that far less than 1% of the prison population in any given country is atheist.  Atheists are not only morally superior, they are intellectually superior as well.  Observations of the dumb bums who call themselves religious convinces me of this.

Hasn't convinced me.  But sophisticates do think they are special.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Gregory on March 16, 2020, 02:44:06 AM

To be fair, in countries like America, many prisoners quickly 'find religion', as it pretty much helps your case when you plead for early release.
As such, these numbers seem askew and can not be trusted to be a true representation of the situation.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 16, 2020, 07:16:06 AM
To be fair, in countries like America, many prisoners quickly 'find religion', as it pretty much helps your case when you plead for early release.
As such, these numbers seem askew and can not be trusted to be a true representation of the situation.

I think it's more that prisoners are desperate. They're at the lowest point of their lives, so they turn to God to help them. Also, most of the people who "find religion" in prison were already theists. They just started paying more attention to it. Christians always treat these people like they're new converts, when they've actually always been Christian.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 16, 2020, 01:01:56 PM
I think it's more that prisoners are desperate. They're at the lowest point of their lives, so they turn to God to help them. Also, most of the people who "find religion" in prison were already theists. They just started paying more attention to it. Christians always treat these people like they're new converts, when they've actually always been Christian.

Well. I'm not going to make a stand over this point. To be honest, I mainly got this from either Bill maher's religulous or an episode of Penn and tellers 'bullshit'. But i heard many  pretended to be really religious and play that out as they hoped it would help in their appeal to early release. After all, a religious judge may think 'how good can this guy really be aspiring to become. He' s an atheist, he doesn't believe in anything and is bound for a sin full life on a highway to hell. '
Not exact words, but you get the idea.
But I do think many were indeed already' lowkey christian'
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Penn & Teller, if they were prisoners might not be as depressed as the other prisoners.  They might be able to use their magic abilities to escape ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.