News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Atheist

Started by Anonymous, June 23, 2013, 08:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Once you go lack... (of religion)... you never go back.

Welcome, chrisstavrous!

Anonymous

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "chrisstavrous"I am a new atheist, I started in new age spirtuality then went to hinduism then to the occult then to christianity, stayed there for 13 years then left 6 months ago, became a deist then an agnostic now I am a soft atheist.

Note: My head feels like a pin cushion for religion.
"Soft Atheist"? What in the world is that. Either you're an Atheist or not, soft, hardboiled. It's like being a vegetarian. Either you are or you are not. Incedentally all humans are omnivores so being a vegetarian is just a choice and not a logical one. Atheism is a person that FINALLY realizes that ALL religions are infact bullshit, made up by stupid people that even dumber people follow. Atheism is the natural state of humankind, anything and everything else is just a social-cultural perversion.
You might ask "could there actually be a god or something like that?" And the answer is, sure, ofcourse, and there could be a magic teapot running everything also, but that doesn't mean that we should guide our lives by ridiculous speculation that is based on nothing.
So whats the deal with "soft atheist" as if there is such a thing. Does that mean that you are just an insecure person, confused by simple things like  accepting religious bullshit because you fear being a social outcast?
Most people that are christians, nearly all of them, are christians because they have been socially/culturaly brainwashed from birth. They are indoctrinated and raised to not only believe and have BLIND faith but to never ever question religious authority. I have a neighbor that says that he respects everyone's view but if you ever say anything that may suggest anything but the supreme authority of christianity, he gets violent. It's like you can have your view unless that view becomes equal to his view. I say "goddamn" as often as I can around him because he has to restrain himself around me. He knows I would beat his christian dumbass to a pulp if he ever raised a hand to me or even lipped off to me.
There is no such thing as a "soft atheist". That is just a word/phrase for insecurity.
Try again!
Soft for now as I still have reservations about some things. I am not  confident yet to call myself a full blown atheist.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Solitary"Welcome aboard chrisstavrous! Who's morals are we talking about. Most of Christian morality centers around what is sexual. Another thing is that Christian teachings on morality only say though shall not instead of saying why you shouldn't outside of going to hell. They never actually say why it is wrong. Christianity is a religion of fear and control, even of things that are normal.  :roll:  "The truth shall set you free." Solitary
Fear is right.

Mermaid

Quote from: "chrisstavrous"Soft for now as I still have reservations about some things. I am not  confident yet to call myself a full blown atheist.
I think I went through a phase like that before it all came into focus.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

the_antithesis

Quote from: "chrisstavrous"Soft for now as I still have reservations about some things. I am not  confident yet to call myself a full blown atheist.

Someone say they want to be fully blown?

Anonymous

Quote from: "the_antithesis"

Someone say they want to be fully blown?

[ Image ]
Lol, is there no such thing as a fully blown atheist.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Solitary"Holy shit! I agree, but can't you be a little more tactful to win him or her over to our side? Like you said, he or she has been brainwashed from birth, give him or her a break for joining our group.   [-X  Solitary
I know, I know, and you're use to the way I post. I'm am not as tactful as I should be. I have always been a direct person, demanding dirct answers. I have always been impatient with tact regarding it as a huge waste of time, especially when I need an answer.
The thing is that everyone knows where I stand at all times. You will always get a direct and true answer from me, that will probably be tactless.
No its ok, I would rather people like you tell me how it is than all the fundies telling me how it is.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "chrisstavrous"
Quote from: "Solitary"Holy shit! I agree, but can't you be a little more tactful to win him or her over to our side? Like you said, he or she has been brainwashed from birth, give him or her a break for joining our group.   [-X  Solitary
I know, I know, and you're use to the way I post. I'm am not as tactful as I should be. I have always been a direct person, demanding dirct answers. I have always been impatient with tact regarding it as a huge waste of time, especially when I need an answer.
The thing is that everyone knows where I stand at all times. You will always get a direct and true answer from me, that will probably be tactless.
No its ok, I would rather people like you tell me how it is than all the fundies telling me how it is.

Need to read through this thread to make sense of it....... waaay too brain dead to do that right now.  But.. wanted to say ""welcome"".   I sincerely hope you are happy here.  Good people here to visit with k?

cheers :-D
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

A full blown atheist sounds kind of kinky.. I wanna be fully blown. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

mykcob4

Quote from: "chrisstavrous"
Quote from: "chrisstavrous"I am a new atheist, I started in new age spirtuality then went to hinduism then to the occult then to christianity, stayed there for 13 years then left 6 months ago, became a deist then an agnostic now I am a soft atheist.

Note: My head feels like a pin cushion for religion.
"Soft Atheist"? What in the world is that. Either you're an Atheist or not, soft, hardboiled. It's like being a vegetarian. Either you are or you are not. Incedentally all humans are omnivores so being a vegetarian is just a choice and not a logical one. Atheism is a person that FINALLY realizes that ALL religions are infact bullshit, made up by stupid people that even dumber people follow. Atheism is the natural state of humankind, anything and everything else is just a social-cultural perversion.
You might ask "could there actually be a god or something like that?" And the answer is, sure, ofcourse, and there could be a magic teapot running everything also, but that doesn't mean that we should guide our lives by ridiculous speculation that is based on nothing.
So whats the deal with "soft atheist" as if there is such a thing. Does that mean that you are just an insecure person, confused by simple things like  accepting religious bullshit because you fear being a social outcast?
Most people that are christians, nearly all of them, are christians because they have been socially/culturaly brainwashed from birth. They are indoctrinated and raised to not only believe and have BLIND faith but to never ever question religious authority. I have a neighbor that says that he respects everyone's view but if you ever say anything that may suggest anything but the supreme authority of christianity, he gets violent. It's like you can have your view unless that view becomes equal to his view. I say "goddamn" as often as I can around him because he has to restrain himself around me. He knows I would beat his christian dumbass to a pulp if he ever raised a hand to me or even lipped off to me.
There is no such thing as a "soft atheist". That is just a word/phrase for insecurity.
Try again!
Soft for now as I still have reservations about some things. I am not  confident yet to call myself a full blown atheist.
Thanks for the explaination, but soon you will realize that you have to actually decide something and that may even be that you will never decide at all. You see atheism is a journey in which you experience life without the reservation and guilt of conforming to what others continually impose on you. Let me let you in on something. Everywhere you go 24/7 christianity is imposing itself on you. Nutcaese demanding the ten commandments in courthouses, graduations with "invocations", if you sneeze there is always some condescending asshole saying "god bless" as if that some kind of nice thing to do. Cars and businesses with an Agapa fish symbol, "in god we trust" on your money....etc so on and so forth! Thats just the start. Try and live a SECULAR life that is actually garranteed by the Constitution. It's impossible. If you actually have a religion that isn't "christian" you have to not only respect christianity but you actually have to respect christians NOT respecting your religion. That doesn't address actually belief or non-belief but it is reality.
Now you say you have questions about morality concerning atheism. Be advised, morals don't and never did come from a belief in any god. Morals have always come from a society. Those morals change and vary depending on the society.
I think your moral issue is that society has been scewed to believe that it is IMMORAL to NOT believe in a christian god. I think that is the issue you really have. In that case you have to decide what you REALLY believe in and if you are going to let society dictate how and what you think. If you do I feel sorry for you. If you decide to think for yourself then I will back you EVEN if you decide to believe in a god. I won't agree with you but I will support you.
So shed this "soft" business. Again it's just insecurity!

Farroc

Hello. Have a standard greeting!
Welcome.DON'T PANIC!

My name is... [blink:1w6rpni9]CLOWN BABY![/blink:1w6rpni9]
But anyway, I'm Farroc.  I'm a liberal atheist vegan from Texas, so if you need help dealing with harassment from large hairy xtian's you know where to look. 8-) Have fun on the forums.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Anonymous

To mykcob4 (I can't post more than 3 quotes for some reason)

I doubt that I can return to any current believed god, but I am open to being transformed by logic and fact rather than faith. Faith is a dead issue for me since it proves to be ineffective and dangerous. As for having bible god ingrained into our society, I know exactly what you mean. Like alot of people my poor parents are dancing the moral dance of bible god and they don't even know it. I have a silent rage for religion and how its method has imposed itself on all our lives.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Farroc"Hello. Have a standard greeting!
Welcome.DON'T PANIC!

[ Image ]

My name is... [blink:bexth0ji]CLOWN BABY![/blink:bexth0ji]
But anyway, I'm Farroc.  I'm a liberal atheist vegan from Texas, so if you need help dealing with harassment from large hairy xtian's you know where to look. 8-) Have fun on the forums.
Yes I will ask you for some help with christians sometime.

Mister Agenda

Welcome! I interpret 'soft atheist' as 'agnostic atheist', also known (unfortunately) as 'weak atheism'. You don't believe in a God or gods, but don't claim to know none of them exist. Or do you mean like on the Dawkin's Scale (1 to 7, '1' being a gnostic/strong theist, '7' being a gnostic/strong atheist), you're more like 5 where most of us are at least 6?
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Jason78

Welcome to the forums.

There's free cookies, but don't eat them all.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato