News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Atheist

Started by Anonymous, June 23, 2013, 08:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I am a new atheist, I started in new age spirtuality then went to hinduism then to the occult then to christianity, stayed there for 13 years then left 6 months ago, became a deist then an agnostic now I am a soft atheist.

Note: My head feels like a pin cushion for religion.

Plu

Welcome aboard. You sound like you have a lot of experience with religion :)

Have you been doubting for a long time? Or was it a recent thing?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Plu"Welcome aboard. You sound like you have a lot of experience with religion :)

Have you been doubting for a long time? Or was it a recent thing?
Ever since I walked into the front door I thought something was wrong, but I stayed out of fear and desperation for help. Its not easy leaving religion when you have moral issues :(

Plu

What kind of moral issues? The main reason it seems hard to leave religion is because they tend to make it really hard through fear and coercion.

Most moral issues aren't as complicated as the religious try to make it, or aren't as simple as they pretend their answer is.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Plu"What kind of moral issues? The main reason it seems hard to leave religion is because they tend to make it really hard through fear and coercion.

Most moral issues aren't as complicated as the religious try to make it, or aren't as simple as they pretend their answer is.
Well thats true, but it was one of the things that made it hard for me to leave.

Solitary

Welcome aboard chrisstavrous! Who's morals are we talking about. Most of Christian morality centers around what is sexual. Another thing is that Christian teachings on morality only say though shall not instead of saying why you shouldn't outside of going to hell. They never actually say why it is wrong. Christianity is a religion of fear and control, even of things that are normal.  :roll:  "The truth shall set you free." Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

Quote from: "chrisstavrous"I am a soft atheist.

Hello! I am a firm atheist with a pillowtop for comfort.  :)
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

Quote from: "chrisstavrous"I am a soft atheist.

I will need further proof of that, can  you send me a pic to see how soft you look?

and (insert obligatory salutation here) welcome
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Elohim

"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
- PopeyesPappy

mykcob4

Quote from: "chrisstavrous"I am a new atheist, I started in new age spirtuality then went to hinduism then to the occult then to christianity, stayed there for 13 years then left 6 months ago, became a deist then an agnostic now I am a soft atheist.

Note: My head feels like a pin cushion for religion.
"Soft Atheist"? What in the world is that. Either you're an Atheist or not, soft, hardboiled. It's like being a vegetarian. Either you are or you are not. Incedentally all humans are omnivores so being a vegetarian is just a choice and not a logical one. Atheism is a person that FINALLY realizes that ALL religions are infact bullshit, made up by stupid people that even dumber people follow. Atheism is the natural state of humankind, anything and everything else is just a social-cultural perversion.
You might ask "could there actually be a god or something like that?" And the answer is, sure, ofcourse, and there could be a magic teapot running everything also, but that doesn't mean that we should guide our lives by ridiculous speculation that is based on nothing.
So whats the deal with "soft atheist" as if there is such a thing. Does that mean that you are just an insecure person, confused by simple things like  accepting religious bullshit because you fear being a social outcast?
Most people that are christians, nearly all of them, are christians because they have been socially/culturaly brainwashed from birth. They are indoctrinated and raised to not only believe and have BLIND faith but to never ever question religious authority. I have a neighbor that says that he respects everyone's view but if you ever say anything that may suggest anything but the supreme authority of christianity, he gets violent. It's like you can have your view unless that view becomes equal to his view. I say "goddamn" as often as I can around him because he has to restrain himself around me. He knows I would beat his christian dumbass to a pulp if he ever raised a hand to me or even lipped off to me.
There is no such thing as a "soft atheist". That is just a word/phrase for insecurity.
Try again!

Solitary

Holy shit! I agree, but can't you be a little more tactful to win him or her over to our side? Like you said, he or she has been brainwashed from birth, give him or her a break for joining our group.   [-X  Solitary

mykcob4

Quote from: "Solitary"Holy shit! I agree, but can't you be a little more tactful to win him or her over to our side? Like you said, he or she has been brainwashed from birth, give him or her a break for joining our group.   [-X  Solitary
I know, I know, and you're use to the way I post. I'm am not as tactful as I should be. I have always been a direct person, demanding dirct answers. I have always been impatient with tact regarding it as a huge waste of time, especially when I need an answer.
The thing is that everyone knows where I stand at all times. You will always get a direct and true answer from me, that will probably be tactless.

the_antithesis

*poke poke*

You are soft.  :shock:

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm a used atheist.. They found me under a bunch of boxes at a thrift store and brought me here and I still miss my boxes.
Welcome anyway. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "Solitary"Holy shit! I agree, but can't you be a little more tactful to win him or her over to our side? Like you said, he or she has been brainwashed from birth, give him or her a break for joining our group.   [-X  Solitary
I know, I know, and you're use to the way I post. I'm am not as tactful as I should be. I have always been a direct person, demanding dirct answers. I have always been impatient with tact regarding it as a huge waste of time, especially when I need an answer.
The thing is that everyone knows where I stand at all times. You will always get a direct and true answer from me, that will probably be tactless.

Your forgiven, and we pray for you!  :wink:   :lol:  Solitary