News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Civil War????

Started by Mike Cl, September 30, 2019, 11:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

The one good thing about there being lots of guns in the US is that the lunatic fringe is actually outgunned by a wild margin.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 08, 2019, 08:57:44 AM
Treason is defined in the Constitution; those who vote for the Orange Disaster Area are not by that definition traitors.

They are,  however, at least one of the following: bigots, racists, right-wing nut jobs, arch-plutocrat economic libertarians, thundering idiots, and/or easily duped.

Where is Communism authorized in the Constitution?  And nobody, not even Jefferson Davis, was ever convicted of treason.  Sorry, if you are unhappy in country X, please go to country Y, don't try some futile revolution.  My ancestors left shitty Europe behind, they didn't stay to become Nazis or Commies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 08, 2019, 04:05:56 PM
He has certainly called for things that would violate the Constitution. Time to get Ma Deuce out again.

How many hippies did you hunt down?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 08, 2019, 01:20:55 PM
Trump is a domestic enemy of the USA, as far as I can tell. So "adhering" to Trump, or giving him "aid and comfort" by voting for him is, as far as I can tell, treason.
I can almost go that far, but I tend to tread delicately with regard to the Constitution.  And my fellow citizens, unfortunately, have a perfectly legitimate right to vote against their own best interests.

There's a much stronger case for violation of the Emoluments Clause, and in any case, the only legal remedy while he's still infesting the White House is impeachment, followed by conviction in the Senate -- to say nothing of the public declaration of obstruction of justice by his refusal to coöperate with House subpoenas.

Once out of office, then he's subject to the regular course of federal, state and local law.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

He's subject to the regular laws now, but the executive branch controls all the law enforcement this country has, and the DOJ is in his pocket, so he gets away with crimes for which the rest of us would spend life in prison.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 10, 2019, 01:14:00 PM
He's subject to the regular laws now, but the executive branch controls all the law enforcement this country has, and the DOJ is in his pocket, so he gets away with crimes for which the rest of us would spend life in prison.
Didn't Barr say that a sitting president can't be tried for the breaking of any law?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

That's not a law, though, only a DOJ memo. That position is not anywhere in the Constitution.
God Not Found

trdsf

I didn't say he wasn't subject to the law.  I said until out of office he wasn't subject to the ordinary course of civil and criminal law.  While in office, the House is the only grand jury that can indict him (via impeachment).  Remember that Leon Jaworsky had to talk his grand jury out of issuing an indictment against Richard Nixon, not on the grounds that Nixon wasn't subject to the law, but that the House was the Constitutionally mandated body to issue that, and the Senate the Constitutionally mandated jury.

The point is not that a sitting president is above the law, but that there is a specific process laid out for dealing with a lawbreaking president.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 10, 2019, 02:08:54 PM
Federal judge knocks DOJ stance that sitting president can't be indicted
Oh, now this will be interesting to follow -- thanks for the link!  I'll have to see if there's any analysis on SCotUS Watch, because whoever loses the Appeals Court ruling will definitely appeal the ruling if it's not otherwise mooted by then.

Baruch

What was ex-President Clinton doing on the tarmac with Atty Gen in July 2016?  Yes, justice is very unequal.  Get used to it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 10, 2019, 02:00:25 PM
I didn't say he wasn't subject to the law.  I said until out of office he wasn't subject to the ordinary course of civil and criminal law.  While in office, the House is the only grand jury that can indict him (via impeachment).  Remember that Leon Jaworsky had to talk his grand jury out of issuing an indictment against Richard Nixon, not on the grounds that Nixon wasn't subject to the law, but that the House was the Constitutionally mandated body to issue that, and the Senate the Constitutionally mandated jury.

The point is not that a sitting president is above the law, but that there is a specific process laid out for dealing with a lawbreaking president.

Then how come Bill and Hillary aren't in jail?  They aren't in office.

Bill Clinton - genocide against Iraqi children

George W Bush - genocide against Iraqi adults

Barak Obama - genocide against Libya, Syria, Ukraine … with able assistance by Hillary Clinton
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT CLINTON DID THEN? THIS IS NOW!
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 10, 2019, 06:29:40 PM

And $&%^#$%& you to.  TDS is strong in this one.  Carefully protect the young Jedi from him!  Never trust anyone named Anakin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 10, 2019, 06:29:40 PM

"What about Clinton" and "what about Obama" are all he has to offer. I just skip over his posts when politics are involved.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--