News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Personal favorite '80s song(s)?

Started by twozerozeroonefive, September 27, 2019, 04:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

The messages is only lightly hidden in that one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 17, 2019, 01:12:18 PM
Do you have a good pic from bad boy days? :P

lol. Probably a couple. Long hair and all. I'd have to climb up in the attic and go though a big box of old photographs to find one to scan though, and that isn't happening any time soon.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

drunkenshoe

My dad has pics from his rock band days, but they are all in neat suits with neat hair cuts. They all look the same. LOL I get that it was like that in those days, because they played for an audience and got paid in the end, but always looked weird to me. Playing rock and looking like that. Always seemed the costumes are the opposite of the spirit of the music. We used to call that 'when dad was beatles' as a little kid with my sis. Ahahah
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 17, 2019, 04:13:20 PM
The messages is only lightly hidden in that one.

I don't get the joke, what is hidden? I have always loved that song because it is so clear and direct.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 18, 2019, 05:44:06 AM
I don't get the joke, what is hidden? I have always loved that song because it is so clear and direct.
As it was explained to me: "Under pressure" meant that a guy was being hit on by another guy. For what it's worth.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 18, 2019, 11:31:07 AM
As it was explained to me: "Under pressure" meant that a guy was being hit on by another guy. For what it's worth.

I doubt that. Lyrics are about people, daily life, life...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 18, 2019, 01:37:28 PM
I doubt that. Lyrics are about people, daily life, life...
Do feel free to doubt.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 17, 2019, 05:41:25 PM
lol. Probably a couple. Long hair and all. I'd have to climb up in the attic and go though a big box of old photographs to find one to scan though, and that isn't happening any time soon.
Me, I was never a long haired rock and roll bad boy.

Long-haired ad hoc jam band bassist?  Mmmmmmaybe.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: trdsf on October 31, 2019, 02:48:39 AM
Me, I was never a long haired rock and roll bad boy.

Long-haired ad hoc jam band bassist?  Mmmmmmaybe.

One of my great regrets in life is never learning to play a musical instrument. So much so that a few years ago I decided I was going to learn and bought a guitar. Shortly after that is when I figured out I was getting old and had a case of mild arthritis in my hands.  :sad:
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 31, 2019, 07:08:28 AM
One of my great regrets in life is never learning to play a musical instrument. So much so that a few years ago I decided I was going to learn and bought a guitar. Shortly after that is when I figured out I was getting old and had a case of mild arthritis in my hands.  :sad:

Take up the flute.  Then you can "flaut" the law ;-)

I have three instruments I don't play.  Hope to correct that soon.  Psaltry, ukulele, recorder.  Mostly I had a singing career in Church/Synagogue (Baratone).  Had piano lessons in my childhood, so I can basically read music.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 31, 2019, 07:08:28 AM
I still hope to learn another one.  Preferably saxophone.  I always wanted to play sax; unfortunately when the school system went around looking for children interested in music, their response to me was "The band has too many sax players already.  You learn trumpet."  Needless to say, I never did.  I ended up teaching myself guitar, bass, piano, and theremin.  I took organ lessons for a couple years, but my teacher had no use for anything written after about 1850, so jazz and rock keys were out of the question.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan