Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello hello!

Started by jtar40, September 24, 2019, 09:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtar40

Hey there!

My name's Justin.
I've been raised in a Christian family all my life and recently I've been pursuing answers a bit more aggressively. I don't claim to be a Christian, although I'd find no shame in doing so. I've joined this forum in hopes that I can get both perspectives on the bible. Being raised in a Christian home it's difficult to receive unbiased content, so I'm hoping to explore a bit of oppositional perspectives too.

Regards

-Justin

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Baruch

Welcome.  There are a number of former Christians who are regulars.  Some of us have expert level knowledge of the Christian/Jewish Bible.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Welcome, Justin.  Most of us here can give you a true rendering of the Bible.  But we can be gentle.  Hope you stick around.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sal1981

Hi there.

Over here, it's Sal.

Blackleaf

Quote from: jtar40 on September 24, 2019, 09:07:13 PMHey there!

My name's Justin.

Welcome, Justin.

Quote from: jtar40 on September 24, 2019, 09:07:13 PMI've joined this forum in hopes that I can get both perspectives on the bible.

Lesson number one: There are more than just two perspectives on the Bible. The debate isn't just between people who believe in the Bible and people who don't. It's also between people who believe the Bible says one thing, and people who think it says something else. That's part of the problem with the Bible. Those in favor of abolishing slavery used the Bible as their justification, but those who wanted to preserve slavery also used the Bible to justify their position. Who was right? Both, and neither. The Bible is vague enough that it can be cherrypicked to say virtually anything, and it contradicts itself incredibly often. Each side will always accuse the others of taking things out of context, but if the Bible was really so clear in its intended meaning, there wouldn't be so many denominations.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 24, 2019, 09:09:03 PM
Welcome.  There are a number of former Christians who are regulars.  Some of us have expert level knowledge of the Christian/Jewish Bible.

"Some of us." You're talking about yourself. We all know it, and we can't deny it's true either. lol
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 25, 2019, 06:21:50 PM
"Some of us." You're talking about yourself. We all know it, and we can't deny it's true either. lol

MikeCL is expert, and not the only one who isn't Baruch.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 25, 2019, 06:19:45 PM
Each side will always accuse the others of taking things out of context, but if the Bible was really so clear in its intended meaning, there wouldn't be so many denominations.

Yeah, over 30,000 different Christian denominations, all claiming to be completely based on the Bible.

And yet, "God is not the author of confusion."

Yeah, right.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Ricardo

I'm from Brazil ! thanks ! :smiley:

Mike Cl

Quote from: Ricardo on October 02, 2019, 11:15:10 AM
I'm from Brazil ! thanks ! :smiley:
Hello, Ricardo--happy to have you here.  Stick around--and introduce yourself.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 02, 2019, 11:30:46 AM
Hello, Ricardo--happy to have you here.  Stick around--and introduce yourself.

I want to know if you dance the Samba ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Ricardo

I like rock music and I will see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert at Rock in Rio!  :smiley:

Blackleaf

Quote from: Ricardo on October 02, 2019, 01:15:33 PM
I like rock music and I will see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert at Rock in Rio!  :smiley:

You're kind of hijacking another person's introduction thread, but okay. lol
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on October 02, 2019, 01:09:56 PM
I want to know if you dance the Samba ;-)
No, but I play the card game.