News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The horror within horror

Started by Hydra009, September 09, 2019, 03:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 07:20:14 AM
I think it is the stupidity of the victims.  How many times times can you say "no don't back into that room", after all?  LOL!

Teens are expendable.  Just ask the military.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

That's why I only went to Boy Scout Camp as a leader.  First thing I told them was NEVER BACK INTO TO ANYTHING!

OK, so I meant poison ivy, and the older scouts might haul you back and rub you in the stuff, but the idea is the same. 

And there was the campfire chant for the newbies.  It was about campfire godesses.  You had to repeat their namesI  Owa, the match.  Tana, the wood.  Siam the  flame...   It went:

Owa Tana Siam.

Repeat until you catch on...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Navy had things similar, but not so polite.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

gave me a chuckle, but I also love urban exploring, so...
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 03:36:35 AM
I've never understood horror much.  OK, Alien.  But as a purpose to watch something, I don't get it.  Earthly monsters just don't keep my attention.  I fully accept the "willing suspension of disbelief" of fiction in general, but I can't do it for earthly horrors.  I just can't believe in them.
There's a certain thrill in horror, though it's difficult to articulate it.

Horror is designed to tap into our deepest, darkest fears (death, the unknown, etc) through proxy threats (aliens, ghosts, cthulhu, etc).  Bringing all this normally taboo stuff out into the open and besting the proxy (or accepting it and coming to terms with that) is supposed to be a cathardic experience.

Baruch

Human existence is a horror that is real.  But we become inured to it, so we crave more of it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteOwa Tana Siam.

Repeat until you catch on...

oh-wha Tahn-ah See-ahm.

Am I summoning an ancient being? Is that why you want me to repeat it's name?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 11, 2019, 09:45:10 PM
oh-wha Tahn-ah See-ahm.

Am I summoning an ancient being? Is that why you want me to repeat it's name?
Uloathwee above sea
Uloathwee above sky
Uloathwee above stars

Uloathwee open the gate
Uloathwee merge the waters
Uloathwee yawn ssyba eewhtaolU

SGOS

At a young age, the part of my life that came after watching The Thing (the original) and not being able to sleep for two months, I became a horror fan.  Then Hollywood started producing gargantuan creatures.  Godzilla didn't do it for me.  I was distracted by the Japanese use of toy airplanes on visible puppet strings that screamed at me, "This isn't real."  The same for King Kong's stop action photography, but what really drove home what to watch for in horror had a lot to do with size, and I realized this when The Blob first came out.  It starts out as a little glob of goop on the end of a finger, and as it assimilates food, it just keeps getting bigger and reaches it's scariest proportions when it's big enough to lurk and hide in a dark doorway.  When it gets as big as a movie theater, my fear is gone completely.  It's just silly, although I admit very funny, but the scare isn't there.  Bigger than a human and it's just about being overpowered.  I can see the psychological aspect of size affecting others with fear, but to me it's just an ugly power struggle. Close to human size, whether slightly bigger or smaller is what I fear the most.

I've lost the ability to be entertained much by horror.  It happens sometimes, but it's rare, and I miss it.  I could be shaken by horror until I was about 30, and then I lost the ability to be afraid.  The last time I felt truly shaken was by the original Exorcist, both the movie and the book had equal effects that disturbed my sleep for months.  Carrie bothered me a wee bit and brought some of the old feeling back, and after that I started getting bored by horror, and attempts to make it gruesome and bloody, don't help at all.

Baruch

Saw an old 50s movie once, where radioactive grasshoppers from Iowa attacked Chicago.  you could plainly see it was grasshopper walking over a photograph of Chicago buildings ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

I remember in '53 I was taken by my grandparents to see a movie--I picked War of the Worlds (Gene Barry); they dropped me off and picked me up--so I watched it alone.  I then had to go back to their house and sleep upstairs by myself.  That movie scared the shit out of me!  Sleeping that night was not easy.  I have hated horror movies ever since.  I do remember seeing the Fly and Alligator People, in the early 60's--but those were not horror movies, what with their rubber costumes and poor special effects, but comedies.   Still don't like horror movies in general, tho.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

I like horror. But have grown too accustomed to it, last movie that unnerved me was hereditary. Before that? Maybe the ring, when I was a child.

Zombie flicks don't scare me either, but they do give me nightmares.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

Most horror movies don't scare me at all, because I know those monster don't exist. The ones that scare me are the ones that could actually happen, Like chainsaw massacres, and such. Or Misery, by King. That was pretty scary.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 12, 2019, 02:21:12 PM
Most horror movies don't scare me at all, because I know those monster don't exist. The ones that scare me are the ones that could actually happen, Like chainsaw massacres, and such. Or Misery, by King. That was pretty scary.
When the first Exorcist made it's big debut, my wife told me that some psychologists had done some research on its effects, because the movie and the book had notoriously affected people in big ways.  She said that those who were most affected were people of faith.  Atheists were mostly unaffected, and the people of faith group was broken down into two sub groups.  Now this if from memory from way back but faith was broken down into strong faith and weak faith, and I think the group that was disturbed by the movie the most was the weaker faith group.  At that time of my life, I would have been in the weak faith group.  I had serious doubts but I was trying to hang on to my Christian upbringing, and trying desperately to find some logic in it.  I had definitely made room for it in my perspective, but essentially I was on my way out the door.  As I noted, that movie and the book kept me awake for months.

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 12, 2019, 02:21:12 PM

psychological horrors are great. I would suggest the babadook, because that movie has different layer to it that can be interpreted, [spoiler]does she start to go insane from grief and overwhelming stress and loss, or is she being possessed by something that can't be explained.  [/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin