News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Harry Potter magic is REAL!

Started by Hydra009, September 02, 2019, 11:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Does anyone remember whether the religious nuts went, well, nuts, about the magic in Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 08, 2019, 05:28:57 PM
Does anyone remember whether the religious nuts went, well, nuts, about the magic in Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie?

I was pretty young.  I don't recall any religious controversy.

I Dream of Jeannie inspired and rivaled Bewitched.  In I Dream o fJeannie, the plot arc got tired out when Jeannie left the Major, and eventually reconciled and married him.  The only controversy I can recall is that Jeannie was too scantily clad.  With Betwitched, Barbara Eden who played the lead, grew tired of it and was going thru marriage problems.  The criticism at the time, at the end of their run, is that neither lead portrayed a Betty Friedan style feminist.  The mother-in-law in Bewitched was the closest approximation to that.

The resurgence of Christian Evangelism happened mostly in the 70s, after their runs had finished, in reaction to 60s counterculture.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I think I recall some outrage about Jeannie's exposed belly button.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 08, 2019, 06:11:28 PM
I think I recall some outrage about Jeannie's exposed belly button.

We lived in innocent times, that Millennials can't conceive of.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on September 08, 2019, 05:49:21 PM
I was pretty young.  I don't recall any religious controversy.

I Dream of Jeannie inspired and rivaled Bewitched.  In I Dream o fJeannie, the plot arc got tired out when Jeannie left the Major, and eventually reconciled and married him.  The only controversy I can recall is that Jeannie was too scantily clad.  With Betwitched, Barbara Eden who played the lead, grew tired of it and was going thru marriage problems.  The criticism at the time, at the end of their run, is that neither lead portrayed a Betty Friedan style feminist.  The mother-in-law in Bewitched was the closest approximation to that.

The resurgence of Christian Evangelism happened mostly in the 70s, after their runs had finished, in reaction to 60s counterculture.
Small point. Barbara Eden was the lead “Jeannie” Elizabeth Montgomery was Bewitched.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on September 08, 2019, 07:41:20 PM
Small point. Barbara Eden was the lead “Jeannie” Elizabeth Montgomery was Bewitched.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 08, 2019, 08:11:26 PM

Before Elizabeth Montgomery played in Bewitched, she played Lizzie Borden in ... Lizzie Borden.

"Lizzie Borden had an axe.  She gave her mother 40 whacks.  When she saw what she had done.  She gave her father 41."  Someone I wouldn't piss off if I were you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2019, 01:53:25 PM
He was the most Drama Queen of British politicians.  He did take politics as his "stage".

But Churchill probably did say it it even if he didn't originate it.  Sometimes put-downs are the result of being knowledgeble of them.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 03:58:31 AM
But Churchill probably did say it it even if he didn't originate it.  Sometimes put-downs are the result of being knowledgeble of them.
I suspect WSC and Lady Astor cooperated in saying quotable things.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 05:49:16 AM
I suspect WSC and Lady Astor cooperated in saying quotable things.

Yes sometimes there is a game among talented people...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 06:28:38 AM
Yes sometimes there is a game among talented people...
William Claude Dukenfield and Mary Jane "Mae" West, another couple who could trade zingers at the Olympic level.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 06:46:26 AM
William Claude Dukenfield and Mary Jane "Mae" West, another couple who could trade zingers at the Olympic level.

Oh that was good.  Without "Mae", I might not have caught it. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 07:31:30 AM
Oh that was good.  Without "Mae", I might not have caught it. 
I was being kind. Coulda made you work for it.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2019, 07:53:18 AM
I was being kind. Coulda made you work for it.

Yeah "Mae" was kind of a giveaway.  I might have caught "William Claude Dukenfield" as WC after some thought.  Know who Woodrow Wilson Smith is without looking it up?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 08:12:59 AM
Yeah "Mae" was kind of a giveaway.  I might have caught "William Claude Dukenfield" as WC after some thought.  Know who Woodrow Wilson Smith is without looking it up?
That would be the guy with the mommy issues.
PZ Myers