Straight Pride is eating shit right now

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, August 12, 2019, 11:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: aileron on August 12, 2019, 04:30:04 PM
I don't think the organizers of the pride parades thought that way. I think "pride" is used as the opposite of shame, and Pride Parade is a lot catchier than "Be Not Ashamed" Parade.  Unfortunately here we are in 2019 and kids still feel shame as their sexuality manifests itself.
Human perception of people moves slower than a glacier, sadly. I don't care about pride parades, I care about accomplishments it does and how well people are able to live with one another. Admittedly, I think pride parades probably have a net positive effect on people's perception, I just think it can be done differently, is all.

Quote from: Shiranu on August 12, 2019, 04:32:08 PM
This statement is so boring. You do realise words can have more than one definition, right? And by definition, pride is also a state of confidence and self-worth in your own identity. So the LGBT community has every right to be proud.
I know what is meant by "pride" in this context. And no, I don't garner pride from my identity, be it straight or Faroese or being male, that's just stupid IMO. If anything, the LGBT community should be proud by the advancements they've made in human rights - now THAT is something I'm onboard with. Same could be said about the advancements of civil rights during the Jim Crow era or Women's Sufferage. I don't care what's between your legs or what the color of your skin is, or even your sexual identity. I care about fundamental human rights, the right to life, liberty and freedom of expression, basically. I'm sure you do too when it comes down to it.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 13, 2019, 06:31:48 AM
LOL. You never miss an opportunity to defend the Right. You should change your avatar with one of your patron saint: SAINT HITLER.

You never miss a trick, Uncle Joe.  How is the Kremlin this time of year?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 13, 2019, 08:43:49 AM
Human perception of people moves slower than a glacier, sadly. I don't care about pride parades, I care about accomplishments it does and how well people are able to live with one another. Admittedly, I think pride parades probably have a net positive effect on people's perception, I just think it can be done differently, is all.
I know what is meant by "pride" in this context. And no, I don't garner pride from my identity, be it straight or Faroese or being male, that's just stupid IMO. If anything, the LGBT community should be proud by the advancements they've made in human rights - now THAT is something I'm onboard with. Same could be said about the advancements of civil rights during the Jim Crow era or Women's Sufferage. I don't care what's between your legs or what the color of your skin is, or even your sexual identity. I care about fundamental human rights, the right to life, liberty and freedom of expression, basically. I'm sure you do too when it comes down to it.

I am never quite sure what to think of "pride" events.  One the one hand, I'm a moderately wealthy single white male unaccustomed to the denial of basic rights.  On the other hand, I'm an atheist and familiar with being generally despised by   
most citizens.

According to therichest.com the top 5 despised groups in the US are  (in descending order):

5.  Recent Immigrants
4.  Conservative Christians
3.  Homosexuals
2.  Muslims
and the #1 despised group in the US IS...

1.  Atheists

I almost think that is funny.  I don't care if people like me much.  But I think atheists are responsible for most of the world's advancements through history, have some of the best ethics, and tend to be involved in public service more than most groups.  But it would be nice to be recognized for that.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

The US is a religious country, compared to Britain.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 15, 2019, 08:11:21 AM
The US is a religious country, compared to Britain.

And France is mostly east of Great Britain.  What part of that is supposed to be a surprise?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 15, 2019, 08:23:01 AM
And France is mostly east of Great Britain.  What part of that is supposed to be a surprise?

France is also mostly secular.  Militantly so.  If the US had been mostly colonized by Chinese ... then European residents would've been despised.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 15, 2019, 08:26:37 AM
France is also mostly secular.  Militantly so.  If the US had been mostly colonized by Chinese ... then European residents would've been despised.

OK, that is mostly nonsensical.  Would you like to try again?

Sal1981

blargh, I would have the same reaction to an atheist pride events that I would any other pride event.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 15, 2019, 01:01:04 PM
blargh, I would have the same reaction to an atheist pride events that I would any other pride event.

Yeah, I did atheist events in the 90s.  Stopped.  Not my style.  Holding up posters I didn't make myself and chanting slogans seemed rather...  religious?

Munch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on August 12, 2019, 03:26:57 PM
Well it's simply okay to be proud to be straight. Sure there are assholese who are against the LGBT but from a simple message of straight pride can go sour fast if it is used as a message for hate. Just like using the LGBT Pride to push straight people around and say "What exactly is it that straight people have to be proud of?" because you hate them.

I gave the thumbs up to them having a straight pride parade, all for the purpose of pissing off those individuals, who have become insufferable.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

There is probably one specific thing straight people do that is important.  They produce babies.  Granted perhaps we could use fewer, but the total absence of them would be rather a serious problem.  And those racists among you have to consider where the future population of the world will go.

If you somehow stop the non-white population (and we are all the same species, just that some live in places where darker skin makes local sense) from growing, what are you going to do?  Move to Africa and evolve darker skin and hate yourselves for it?

aitm

If you have to have a "pride" parade, It would seem that individually you need a group to help give you that pride. Doesn't seem like you really win much overall, just for a day and then the hangover.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on September 03, 2019, 10:15:46 AM
If you have to have a "pride" parade, It would seem that individually you need a group to help give you that pride. Doesn't seem like you really win much overall, just for a day and then the hangover.

We atheists are gaining ground.  According to https://news.gallup.com/poll/224642/2017-update-americans-religion.aspx

Story Highlights

About three-quarters of Americans identify with a Christian faith
    37% are highly religious; 33% not religious at all

Worth thinking about...

aitm

One can easily argue that even the most fervent believes don't truly believe in the "protection" of their god. Why buy insurance or go to the doctor?
Does anyone really think they can walk into a river and have the waters part?
Does anyone really believe by prayer that they can "tell a mountain to move and it will and nothing will be impossible to you?
Religion is skin deep.
Wealthy people are not really religious, the poor most always are, the difference is one has, the other wants.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on September 03, 2019, 12:53:57 PM
One can easily argue that even the most fervent believes don't truly believe in the "protection" of their god. Why buy insurance or go to the doctor?
Does anyone really think they can walk into a river and have the waters part?
Does anyone really believe by prayer that they can "tell a mountain to move and it will and nothing will be impossible to you?
Religion is skin deep.
Wealthy people are not really religious, the poor most always are, the difference is one has, the other wants.

They do.  And they don't.  Truly religious people DON'T get vaccinations often, they DO believe in the protection of God (if they pray enough), and expect only their fellow religious friends will arise to God (of their own type) someday. 

I acknkowledge that "wealthy" and "intelligent" are not the same thing (many wealthy people are also  religious fanatics), but there is a negative correlation between religious belief and intelligence.