Dostoevsky's Existentialism & Modern Shitpost/Depression Memes

Started by Shiranu, August 10, 2019, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2019, 11:49:00 PM
Can the Left be saved?

I think the question is more accurately "Can the Right Be Saved".  It is pretty obvious that the Left is proposing advancements in human development and safety.  There has to be better health care systems, attack gun controls, international trade, and climate improvement.

The Left is proposing those.  The Conservatives are demanding that we maintain our failing health care systems, allowing angry people to have military weapons, destroying long-standing international trade agreements that have been to our benefit, and takibng financial benefits at the cost to our children for short-term benefit.

This kind of "me now" attitude simply cannot be allowed to continue.  It must end. 

We have evolved from small individual groups to camps to villages to towns and cities that succussfully used all available recurces without much penalty.  That time has ended. 

Collectively, we are now as a species threatening our very existence.  At some point, there may simply not be enough enough oxygen in the air to support our rather impressive brains.  It has been higher and lower.

We are on the verge of making it lower again.   As we deforest the planet, we are reducing the amount of oxygen in the air.  It is little difference toady, but it will increase as we burn the Amazon forests and turn more land to crop production.

A field of crops do not provide the same amount amount of oxygen as an equal area of jungle.

Won't it be ironic if we simply due from lack of oxygen that rather fall to some aliens, LOL?  You think that can't happen?  Ask those 4' wingspan dragonflies that used to exist when the oxygen level was 30% instead of 20% today.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Dostoevsky wrote a short story (yes, he was actually capable of doing that).  It was more like a character study, and it was called Notes from the Underground.  I blundered onto this in college, and it served as my introduction to Russian Literature.  I thought I had discovered genius.  I started reading Dostoevsky's classics, and introduced myself to the some of the other writers of that Russian era, but it was a waste of time.  As far as I was concerned, everything good about Russian literature began and ended with that one short story.  It was a small anomaly, a bit depressing in a whole sea of much deeper hopelessness.  If I was a psychiatrist I would forbid patients to read Dostoevsky.  It's unhealthy, and to top it off boring, which makes for a deadly combination that will kill all joy and happiness.  Is that what life in Russia was like back then?  No wonder they've got a bug up their ass about the rest of the world.  "Dr. Zhivago is a great film," they say.  While it held my attention, it was no more entertaining to me than a bloody automobile accident.

I didn't watch the videos.  Sorry, I couldn't get past Dostoevsky.  Dostoevsky is not click bait for me.  It sets me off on wild rants, because I wasted two years trying to like Russian literature.  I click on "close all tabs" when I see "Dostoevsky," except once in a while like this when I have to express my disregard for anything Russia.  And then I'm OK for a little while.

Baruch

Left as superheroes in spandex and capes?  As recently pointed out in GB, this is a religion, with absolute truth on one side, absolute morality on one side, with excommunication for any disagreement.  I wouldn't take this from the Right either.  Y'all both need to die off.  "No one expects the Left Inquisition!"
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.