Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Please ignore Hong Kong ...

Started by Baruch, August 06, 2019, 07:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 07:10:15 PM
Why I'm not surprised...

You can insult me, but don't insult my grandparents (Shriner/Eastern Star).  They are twice the man/woman you will ever be.  Atheists don't use secret handshakes.  They use the universal gesture of the "middle finger".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 13, 2019, 05:37:40 PM
And of course the people who actually lived in Hong Kong in those days had no say at all in the matter.

They actually didn't.  They went from being a colony of one empire to a new owner, as sad as that is.  I don't think TROTW can actually do much about it except yell support from the sidelines. Hong Kong is effectively part of China now and subject to its dictatorial rule.  Worse, that was understood at the beginning...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 07:13:02 PM
You can insult me, but don't insult my grandparents (Shriner/Eastern Star).  They are twice the man/woman you will ever be.  Atheists don't use secret handshakes.  They use the universal gesture of the "middle finger".

Freemasonry is like any religion - about power and superstition.

Shiranu

Quote from: aileron on August 13, 2019, 05:31:33 PM
The UK didn't "give" it back. The UK lease expired. Seriously, they leased Hong Kong for 99 years and the lease was up.

True, but it wouldn't have been the first time the British Empire lied about a deal. For once, they might have actually been in the right to lie about it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 15, 2019, 03:58:21 PM
Freemasonry is like any religion - about power and superstition.

In society, everything is about power and superstition. That which isn't, is useless.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aileron

Quote from: Shiranu on August 15, 2019, 07:39:47 PM
True, but it wouldn't have been the first time the British Empire lied about a deal. For once, they might have actually been in the right to lie about it.

Supposedly "The Iron Lady" Thatcher, feeling cocky after winning the Falklands War proposed to China the idea of the UK keeping Hong Kong in some capacity. The Chinese government responded, "We're not Argentina."
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 15, 2019, 07:40:23 PM
In society, everything is about power and superstition. That which isn't, is useless.

You must have read Nietzsche in school.  Clever for a mad man.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 01:17:53 AM
You must have read Nietzsche in school.  Clever for a mad man.

Nietzsche spent most of his time in bed, with frequent bouts of high fever, diarrhea and dizziness. Ended up in a mental institute. Your typical Greek tragedy, but he was anything but typical. Overcoming became his trade mark...

Cavebear

Quote from: aileron on August 15, 2019, 07:58:06 PM
Supposedly "The Iron Lady" Thatcher, feeling cocky after winning the Falklands War proposed to China the idea of the UK keeping Hong Kong in some capacity. The Chinese government responded, "We're not Argentina."

And indeed they are not.  The slow travel of national power may well have travelled from China to Indie to Persia, to Europe to The US and back again. 

On the other hand, since WWII, many nations have been predicted to surpass the US and failed.  The next couple of decades will be interesting.  When the Orange Menace is off the world stage, the US may get back on sound footing.

;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2019, 05:36:20 AM
And indeed they are not.  The slow travel of national power may well have travelled from China to Indie to Persia, to Europe to The US and back again. 

On the other hand, since WWII, many nations have been predicted to surpass the US and failed.  The next couple of decades will be interesting.  When the Orange Menace is off the world stage, the US may get back on sound footing.

;)

China believes it to be the final empire.  This is a unique cultural POV.  But when not challenged, it is passive-aggressive.  So don't provoke it, and it will feed on itself.  The current "dynasty" will pass like all the others, given the one and only basis of its political economy is how to feed so many people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.