News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Music from waaaaay back

Started by trdsf, August 06, 2019, 02:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Went to the 'Happy Together' show Saturday night at the state fair -- basically it's (what's left of) six bands from the late 60s doing their greatest hits.  I might have been one of the youngest people there.

And it was a great show.  If you like late 60s pop, definitely worth seeing.  The band is absolutely chameleonic, able to match whichever act they're backing up.

The lineup is (what's left of) The Cowsills, The Classics IV, The Buckinghams, Gary Puckett (sans the Union Gap), Three Dog Night founder Chuck Negron, and The Turtles -- well, one Turtle, anyway: Mark Volman (aka Flo of Zappa collaborators "Flo & Eddie") and new Turtle Ron Dante (formerly the lead singer for The Archies, of all things).

Which led to the weirdest thing I've seen/heard in concert: a performance of the bubblegum hit "Sugar Sugar" followed by a performance of Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia"... not a segue that comes to mind easily.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

That's a song I enjoy! Here it is, in case any of y'all haven't heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwgbfriHWt8
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

josephpalazzo

Ha, the only real "Sugar, Sugar" is the Andy Kim version. It's the sweetest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBm13riIgPg

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 06, 2019, 02:05:24 AM
Went to the 'Happy Together' show Saturday night at the state fair -- basically it's (what's left of) six bands from the late 60s doing their greatest hits.  I might have been one of the youngest people there.

And it was a great show.  If you like late 60s pop, definitely worth seeing.  The band is absolutely chameleonic, able to match whichever act they're backing up.

The lineup is (what's left of) The Cowsills, The Classics IV, The Buckinghams, Gary Puckett (sans the Union Gap), Three Dog Night founder Chuck Negron, and The Turtles -- well, one Turtle, anyway: Mark Volman (aka Flo of Zappa collaborators "Flo & Eddie") and new Turtle Ron Dante (formerly the lead singer for The Archies, of all things).

Which led to the weirdest thing I've seen/heard in concert: a performance of the bubblegum hit "Sugar Sugar" followed by a performance of Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia"... not a segue that comes to mind easily.

Gary Puckett?  The Buckinghams?  The Turtles?  I want to be there. 

When I was a freshman at college, I dragged some friends off to Gary Puckett (and the Union Gap) and they were amazed!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 08, 2019, 04:27:06 PM
Gary Puckett?  The Buckinghams?  The Turtles?  I want to be there. 

When I was a freshman at college, I dragged some friends off to Gary Puckett (and the Union Gap) and they were amazed!
His voice is just as good as it was 50 years ago.  If you google 'happy together tour 2019' you should get a list of their remaining shows; hopefully one is near you.

There was another concert I was thinking about going to as well -- REO Speedwagon.  Unfortunately their opening band was Night Ranger, whom I positively loathed.

aileron

Waaaaay back is relative I suppose. In my music habits, this is only about three quarters of waaaaay back...

https://youtu.be/-TGKJ9MgCOQ
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Three Little Fishes (that swim swam over the dam)--Andrews Sisters.  LOVED that song!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: aileron on August 10, 2019, 07:58:05 PM
Waaaaay back is relative I suppose. In my music habits, this is only about three quarters of waaaaay back...

https://youtu.be/-TGKJ9MgCOQ
Well, yes, but the opportunities to see Handel, Bach and Mozart performing their own greatest hits live in concert these days are pretty limited...

PopeyesPappy

I saw the Stones a few weeks ago. The new guy, Ronnie Wood, joined the band 44 years ago, but Keith Richards and Mick Jagger have been playing together since 1961.

I also picked up a Rush 2112 tour shirt a little while. The last venue listed on the back is Huntsville, AL under August 1976. 14 year old me was there.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aileron

Quote from: trdsf on August 11, 2019, 07:30:00 PM
Well, yes, but the opportunities to see Handel, Bach and Mozart performing their own greatest hits live in concert these days are pretty limited...
As Monty Python sang in The Decomposing Composers, "You can still hear Beethoven, but Beethoven cannot hear you. "
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Cavebear

Quote from: aileron on August 10, 2019, 07:58:05 PM
Nothing wrong with Handel.  My fallback music is Classical.  And I am rather eclectic about that. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!