Author Topic: Music from waaaaay back  (Read 291 times)

Offline trdsf

Music from waaaaay back
« on: August 06, 2019, 02:05:24 AM »
Went to the 'Happy Together' show Saturday night at the state fair -- basically it's (what's left of) six bands from the late 60s doing their greatest hits.  I might have been one of the youngest people there.

And it was a great show.  If you like late 60s pop, definitely worth seeing.  The band is absolutely chameleonic, able to match whichever act they're backing up.

The lineup is (what's left of) The Cowsills, The Classics IV, The Buckinghams, Gary Puckett (sans the Union Gap), Three Dog Night founder Chuck Negron, and The Turtles -- well, one Turtle, anyway: Mark Volman (aka Flo of Zappa collaborators "Flo & Eddie") and new Turtle Ron Dante (formerly the lead singer for The Archies, of all things).

Which led to the weirdest thing I've seen/heard in concert: a performance of the bubblegum hit "Sugar Sugar" followed by a performance of Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia"... not a segue that comes to mind easily.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Re: Music from waaaaay back
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 02:16:24 PM »
That's a song I enjoy! Here it is, in case any of y'all haven't heard it:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Ideas have consequences, and totally erroneous ideas are likely to have destructive consequences."
Steve Allen

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
Ha, the only real "Sugar, Sugar" is the Andy Kim version. It's the sweetest...

Offline trdsf

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 09:31:12 AM »
Yup, and they followed that with this:

Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 04:27:06 PM »
Went to the 'Happy Together' show Saturday night at the state fair -- basically it's (what's left of) six bands from the late 60s doing their greatest hits.  I might have been one of the youngest people there.

And it was a great show.  If you like late 60s pop, definitely worth seeing.  The band is absolutely chameleonic, able to match whichever act they're backing up.

The lineup is (what's left of) The Cowsills, The Classics IV, The Buckinghams, Gary Puckett (sans the Union Gap), Three Dog Night founder Chuck Negron, and The Turtles -- well, one Turtle, anyway: Mark Volman (aka Flo of Zappa collaborators "Flo & Eddie") and new Turtle Ron Dante (formerly the lead singer for The Archies, of all things).

Which led to the weirdest thing I've seen/heard in concert: a performance of the bubblegum hit "Sugar Sugar" followed by a performance of Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia"... not a segue that comes to mind easily.

Gary Puckett?  The Buckinghams?  The Turtles?  I want to be there. 

When I was a freshman at college, I dragged some friends off to Gary Puckett (and the Union Gap) and they were amazed!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline trdsf

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 01:46:44 AM »
Gary Puckett?  The Buckinghams?  The Turtles?  I want to be there. 

When I was a freshman at college, I dragged some friends off to Gary Puckett (and the Union Gap) and they were amazed!
His voice is just as good as it was 50 years ago.  If you google 'happy together tour 2019' you should get a list of their remaining shows; hopefully one is near you.

There was another concert I was thinking about going to as well -- REO Speedwagon.  Unfortunately their opening band was Night Ranger, whom I positively loathed.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 07:58:05 PM »
Waaaaay back is relative I suppose. In my music habits, this is only about three quarters of waaaaay back...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »

Although I do like Handel, too.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 04:27:43 PM »
No one can beat Dion...

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »
Is this waaaaay enough back?

"Ideas have consequences, and totally erroneous ideas are likely to have destructive consequences."
Steve Allen

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 06:54:24 PM »
Three Little Fishes (that swim swam over the dam)--Andrews Sisters.  LOVED that song!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent,
Is he able but not willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able or willing?
Then why call him god?

Offline trdsf

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 07:30:00 PM »
Waaaaay back is relative I suppose. In my music habits, this is only about three quarters of waaaaay back...

Well, yes, but the opportunities to see Handel, Bach and Mozart performing their own greatest hits live in concert these days are pretty limited...

Online PopeyesPappy

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 11:11:50 PM »
I saw the Stones a few weeks ago. The new guy, Ronnie Wood, joined the band 44 years ago, but Keith Richards and Mick Jagger have been playing together since 1961.

I also picked up a Rush 2112 tour shirt a little while. The last venue listed on the back is Huntsville, AL under August 1976. 14 year old me was there.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 01:15:50 AM »
Well, yes, but the opportunities to see Handel, Bach and Mozart performing their own greatest hits live in concert these days are pretty limited...
As Monty Python sang in The Decomposing Composers, "You can still hear Beethoven, but Beethoven cannot hear you. "
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 03:25:14 AM »
Nothing wrong with Handel.  My fallback music is Classical.  And I am rather eclectic about that. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk