News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Blame video games!

Started by Hydra009, August 05, 2019, 02:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/health/video-games-violence-explainer/index.html

Nice to have a free press while it lasts.

One excellent point the experts make that the Repubs are too stupid to realize... Video games are a worldwide thing. Regular mass shootings are only a US thing.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Unbeliever

Of course it must be the video games, since only America has anyone who plays them...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on August 05, 2019, 06:46:34 PM
You aren't after Princess Peach?  Gay much?

That tease? No thank you. I can get my own cake.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 05, 2019, 09:09:00 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/health/video-games-violence-explainer/index.html

Nice to have a free press while it lasts.

One excellent point the experts make that the Repubs are too stupid to realize... Video games are a worldwide thing. Regular mass shootings are only a US thing.

America is special that way ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Breaking news: Republican blames bad thing on things Republicans don't like (so it must be true)

Really got the whole trifecta going.  I'm surprised atheists weren't thrown in there as well.

Can you believe these people actually have some gay supporters?  Talk about self-hate.

Hydra009

But wait!  There's more!

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/ohio-lawmaker-blames-mass-shootings-open-borders-homosexuality-video-games-n1039321

QuoteAfter mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, that together killed at least 30 people over the weekend, a lawmaker in Ohio blamed the massacres on “homosexual marriage,” “drag queen advocates” and “snowflakes, who can’t accept a duly-elected President," among other things.

In a now-deleted Facebook post, she wrote: “After every mass shooting, the liberals start the blame game. Why not place the blame where it belongs?"

The post listed reasons Keller thought the United States is grappling with mass shootings, including "the breakdown of the traditional American family," "homosexual marriage," "fatherlessness," "the ignoring of violent video games," "professional athletes who hate our flag and the National Anthem," "the relaxing of laws against criminals," "recreational marijuana," "Obama" and Democratic members of Congress, among others.

Take a wild guess what sort of politics she advocates for.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 05, 2019, 02:11:49 PM
In the 90s and 2000s, there was a big push to villify video games, coincidentally right as the burgeoning new industry was rapidly becoming a part of everyday life.
And you know what?  They lost the argument.  And they didn't just lose once or twice, they consistently lost.  So why in the seven hells is this still a thing?
Because it's so much easier than tackling the real problems of too many guns, and too many people who have too many problems to be trusted with them.  And their knuckledragger base is long since primed to jump on board with such a completely bullshit argument.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 05, 2019, 06:04:06 PM
Civil War is good.  We need a good culling.

Thomas Jefferson said,  “a little rebellion now and then is a good thing".  If you want a Civil War, it would either be totally one-sided today or turn the US in Balkan-like states.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 08, 2019, 07:55:20 AM
Thomas Jefferson said,  “a little rebellion now and then is a good thing".  If you want a Civil War, it would either be totally one-sided today or turn the US in Balkan-like states.

Careful what you ask for.  How big is the New England Gay Atheist Empire going to be, given the lack of MAN power ;-)  Larger than the LBGT Empire probably.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Walmart takes down video games displays, keeps guns

Well, that answers that.  Why do morons keep villifying video games? 

BECAUSE IT WORKS.

Because if you stir the pot enough, you can scare just enough people to affect albeit small changes in how video games are presented or purchased.

You can't do that with guns.  You can shout till you're blue in the face.  You can show caskets of loved ones.  (Our thoughts and prayers go out to them)  You can plead with legislators, with gun sellers, with anyone who will listen, to do something, anything to stop the next national tragedy.

It won't work.  Nothing will change.  And that has a lot to with the dollars pouring out of the NRA and the rubles flowing in.  A lot of very rich people are heavily invested in people buying as many guns as possible with the least amount of oversight possible, and policy reflects their interests.

This is a corrupt, inhuman system that cares nothing for human lives, and we've grown far to used to it.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 09, 2019, 12:25:06 AM
Walmart takes down video games displays, keeps guns

Well, that answers that.  Why do morons keep villifying video games? 

BECAUSE IT WORKS.

Because if you stir the pot enough, you can scare just enough people to affect albeit small changes in how video games are presented or purchased.

You can't do that with guns.  You can shout till you're blue in the face.  You can show caskets of loved ones.  (Our thoughts and prayers go out to them)  You can plead with legislators, with gun sellers, with anyone who will listen, to do something, anything to stop the next national tragedy.

It won't work.  Nothing will change.  And that has a lot to with the dollars pouring out of the NRA and the rubles flowing in.  A lot of very rich people are heavily invested in people buying as many guns as possible with the least amount of oversight possible, and policy reflects their interests.

This is a corrupt, inhuman system that cares nothing for human lives, and we've grown far to used to it.

America, please.

I seriously thought that was going to be an Onion article.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 09, 2019, 02:10:44 AM

America, please.

Corporations are so woke, like Gillette ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sylar

I have played and still play violent video games, the kind where thousands die. Never once have I contemplated shooting up a school or theater or what have you. Can't say I am not beginning to contemplate shooting these stupid fucking morons "governing" our country. (That was hyperbole, NSA).
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on August 09, 2019, 02:10:44 AM...

America, please.

But wait, there's more!

ESPN and ABC will no longer broadcast an Apex Legends tournament "out of respect" for the victims.  Still selling guns at the store where people were shot to death in cold blood, but video games without any relation whatsoever to that tragedy, that's where we have to draw the line. 

Well, not so much "have" as "want to" and not so much "draw the line" as "bury our heads in the sand".  So much easier and politically safer than lobbying for substantive change.

aileron

ESPN is, to state the obvious, a sports network. If playing video games is considered a sport now, it's no wonder Americans are so fat.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez