News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Blame video games!

Started by Hydra009, August 05, 2019, 02:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Depends on the video game. Most video games differentiate between reality and fantasy. Only game that comes to mind that probably never should have been made is Hatred. But even with that game I would argue that people, mature enough, can distinguish pretend violence and the real life kind.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 05, 2019, 04:43:41 PM
Fans petitioned to get Skyrim Grandma added to The Elder Scrolls VI, so that if she didn't live to see the sequel, she'd at least be in it. Bethesda saw the petition and flew her in so they could turn her into an NPC. So far, that's one of the few things we know about TESVI. She's the first, and only, NPC confirmed for the game.

Yep, I know that. :) I think the wording in a source -memorialise- lead me to a misunderstanding, like she has to be dead fro that? LOL 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 05, 2019, 05:32:28 PM
Depends on the video game. Most video games differentiate between reality and fantasy. Only game that comes to mind that probably never should have been made is Hatred. But even with that game I would argue that people, mature enough, can distinguish pretend violence and the real life kind.

Custer's Revenge (early console game) ... illegal to own.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 05, 2019, 03:15:44 PM
The red-hatted mob will accept just about any scapegoat to avoid the obvious, that Trump's racist blathering is pushing people already teetering on the edge of losing self-control over the edge.

Civil War is good.  We need a good culling.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 05, 2019, 02:55:22 PM
Would you like me to comb out anything our German friends added unconsciously? H G Wells, says it is a good idea. For getting a time machine I mean.

19th century German Romantic scholarship?  Das ist gut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34cxfSNAxg

Unlike Boris, I have Youtube, I don't need to memorize.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 05, 2019, 03:15:44 PM
The red-hatted mob will accept just about any scapegoat to avoid the obvious, that Trump's racist blathering is pushing people already teetering on the edge of losing self-control over the edge.

Conservatives have been triggered too.  Enough to contemplate genocide.  Keep the challenges to sanity coming.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 05, 2019, 05:32:28 PM

Not at all. Yes video games can be violent like when I play Diablo 3 for instance. However that doesn't make me or anyone violent. The violence was already intiated from something in the persons head like with mentally ill people or people suffering disorders like PTSD in veterans maybe. If video games made people violent there would be alot more violence and shootings to make it very normal for 20 people to die in one day. But that's bullshit and also this was created by the same people who said Rock n Roll was Satan's music.

Baruch

That and feminists (who are pushing to ban video games) think that anything pointy, even a penis, is a miogynistic symbol.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I don't think I've ever seen a pointy penis...but I like the alliteration! LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Gotta admit, after playing Mario Maker for some many hours, I do have this uncontrollable urge to jump on turtles while eating strange mushrooms I find laying around.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 05, 2019, 06:15:25 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a pointy penis...but I like the alliteration! LOL

I keep mine out of the pencil sharpener.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 05, 2019, 06:16:13 PM
Gotta admit, after playing Mario Maker for some many hours, I do have this uncontrollable urge to jump on turtles while eating strange mushrooms I find laying around.

You aren't after Princess Peach?  Gay much?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 05, 2019, 05:32:28 PMOnly game that comes to mind that probably never should have been made is Hatred. But even with that game I would argue that people, mature enough, can distinguish pretend violence and the real life kind.
Yeah, Hatred struck me as a disgusting exaggeration of how pearl-clutching traditionalists view video games.  Like someone heard Jack Thompson and said, let's make that!  Uggh.

You know, most of my games are actually pretty light on gory violence - either it's violence done to non-humans (aliens, zombies, robots, etc) or the violence is more implied than actually shown (spaceship battles, mecha warfare).

Supreme Commander is funny to me because it has oodles of war and destruction but very few onscreen deaths (99% of the time, unmanned drones are destroyed, not people)

I think either Fallout New Vegas or Space Marine might be my goriest games, and you're mostly just defending yourself from barbaric slavers or maurading aliens.  Very poor training for IRL shooting.  I doubt I could reload a handgun properly.

Now, if I had a few thousand calvary and several times that in infantry, I could put some serious hurt on the Visigoths...

Unbeliever

I like video games where I have to solve puzzles rather than just kill stuff. Those shooter games don't do anything for me.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 05, 2019, 07:17:20 PM
Yeah, Hatred struck me as a disgusting exaggeration of how pearl-clutching traditionalists view video games.  Like someone heard Jack Thompson and said, let's make that!  Uggh.

You know, most of my games are actually pretty light on gory violence - either it's violence done to non-humans (aliens, zombies, robots, etc) or the violence is more implied than actually shown (spaceship battles, mecha warfare).

Supreme Commander is funny to me because it has oodles of war and destruction but very few onscreen deaths (99% of the time, unmanned drones are destroyed, not people)

I think either Fallout New Vegas or Space Marine might be my goriest games, and you're mostly just defending yourself from barbaric slavers or maurading aliens.  Very poor training for IRL shooting.  I doubt I could reload a handgun properly.

Now, if I had a few thousand calvary and several times that in infantry, I could put some serious hurt on the Visigoths...

I don't play FPS anymore, because of this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.