Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Blame video games!

Started by Hydra009, August 05, 2019, 02:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

After mass shooting, Republicans blame video games

Trump joins in

This is a long dead horse, yet it's being beaten all the same.

Video games are the new and scary fad steering our impressionable youth towards evil - well, it was new in the 70s and 80s, nowdays everyone and their grandmother has played Tetris or Mario or Skyrim.  It's not a new and scary thing unless you've been living under a rock your entire life.

In the 90s and 2000s, there was a big push to villify video games, coincidentally right as the burgeoning new industry was rapidly becoming a part of everyday life.
And you know what?  They lost the argument.  And they didn't just lose once or twice, they consistently lost.  So why in the seven hells is this still a thing?

I know the redcaps aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but even they have to know that grandpa Trump is really showing his age in this latest round of dotard ramblings about stuff he clearly has no knowledge of.  FFS, he could make a more compelling case for the deep state mexicans sending over paid muslims pretending to stage a false flag killing spree to spread liberal-commieism, so why bother with scapegoating video games?

Hell, all you have to do to poke a battleship-sized hole in this argument is look at other countries.
Do you guys have video games?
Sure do!  Do you guys have mass shootings?  Not really.  So why is this claim treated as if it has a shred of credibility?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 05, 2019, 02:11:49 PM

Trump joins in

Video games are the new and scary fad steering our impressionable youth towards evil - well, it was new in the 70s and 80s, nowdays everyone and their grandmother has played Tetris or Mario or Skyrim.  It's not a new and scary thing unless you've been living under a rock your entire life.

In the 90s and 2000s, there was a big push to villify video games, coincidentally right as the burgeoning new industry was rapidly becoming a part of everyday life.
And you know what?  They lost the argument.  And they didn't just lose once or twice, they consistently lost.  So why in the seven hells is this still a thing?

I know the redcaps aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but even they have to know that grandpa Trump is really showing his age in this latest round of dotard ramblings about stuff he clearly has no knowledge of.  FFS, he could make a more compelling case for the deep state mexicans sending over paid muslims pretending to stage a false flag killing spreed to spread liberal-commieism, so why bother with scpegoating video games?

Why is this treated as if it has a shred of credibility?

Yes, Gamergate.  The new GTA is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYK6cfFVRk4

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 05, 2019, 02:11:49 PMVideo games are the new and scary fad steering our impressionable youth towards evil - well, it was new in the 70s and 80s, nowdays everyone and their grandmother has played Tetris or Mario or Skyrim.

Better watch out for Skyrim Grandma. She might pull out a sword and stab you. She's been practicing in video games for years.

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 05, 2019, 02:11:49 PMSo why is this claim treated as if it has a shred of credibility?

Because by repeating this tired old argument, they get to distract people from the real issues.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 05, 2019, 02:11:49 PM

Trump joins in

I know the redcaps aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but even they have to know that grandpa Trump is really showing his age in this latest round of dotard ramblings about stuff he clearly has no knowledge of.  FFS, he could make a more compelling case for the deep state mexicans sending over paid muslims pretending to stage a false flag killing spree to spread liberal-commieism, so why bother with scapegoating video games?

Hell, all you have to do to poke a battleship-sized hole in this argument is look at other countries.
Do you guys have video games?
Sure do!  Do you guys have mass shootings?  Not really.  So why is this claim treated as if it has a shred of credibility?

They'll latch on to anything at all that gives them the semblance of an excuse. Later it will be something else, and then something else after that.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

drunkenshoe

The republican tradition goes on! I wonder how long it will take the one over here to imitate his speech.

I wish the skyrim grandma was a real superhero diving down around on draugr death lords riding Alduin. RIP.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 05, 2019, 02:26:09 PM
The republican tradition goes on! I wonder how long it will take the one over here to imitate his speech.

I wish the skyrim grandma was a real superhero diving down around on draugr death lords riding Alduin. RIP.

You mean Boris?  Hardly.  Boris is a scholar.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on August 05, 2019, 02:27:17 PM

No, there was a Skyrim Grandma. She died.

Boris is a trained ape. And I apologise from all sort of apes for that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 05, 2019, 02:26:09 PM

Wut? She posted a new video six hours ago. Has she passed away since then?
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 05, 2019, 02:29:37 PM
No, there was a Skyrim Grandma. She died.

Boris is a trained ape. And I apologise from all sort of apes for that.

Please quote Illiad from memory, its seductive ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 05, 2019, 02:31:24 PM
Wut? She posted a new video six hours ago. Has she passed away since then?

She is alive?! I heard she was dead and next Elder Scrolls -if ever- will have a memorial of her! 

E: Just checked, yes she is alive! :) Now I wonder if is this something I misunderstood just because she is going to be in the game? Sorry, lol.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on August 05, 2019, 02:31:45 PM
Please quote Illiad from memory, its seductive ...

Would you like me to comb out anything our German friends added unconsciously? H G Wells, says it is a good idea. For getting a time machine I mean. 

aileron

The red-hatted mob will accept just about any scapegoat to avoid the obvious, that Trump's racist blathering is pushing people already teetering on the edge of losing self-control over the edge.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

drunkenshoe

Baruch, are you looking for an Illiad reference by HG Wells? It's about Ancient Greek, not Illiad. It's in The Time Machine. LOL

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 05, 2019, 02:27:17 PM

Boris isn't even has good as Trump is at being Trump.  Thankfully.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 05, 2019, 02:51:13 PM
She is alive?! I heard she was dead and next Elder Scrolls -if ever- will have a memorial of her! 

E: Just checked, yes she is alive! :) Now I wonder if is this something I misunderstood just because she is going to be in the game? Sorry, lol.

Fans petitioned to get Skyrim Grandma added to The Elder Scrolls VI, so that if she didn't live to see the sequel, she'd at least be in it. Bethesda saw the petition and flew her in so they could turn her into an NPC. So far, that's one of the few things we know about TESVI. She's the first, and only, NPC confirmed for the game.
--Fulke Greville--