Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mass Shooting in El Paso

Started by Baruch, August 03, 2019, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2019, 08:12:19 PM
Yeah, so much to read, so little time!

I have 60' of sci-fi and missed so much!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2019, 08:08:13 PM
I read On the Beach long ago. It was a lot like The Last Ship, another good read.
I tried to read, The Last Ship, but the writing was so bad I did not finish it.  Liked the concept, tho.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I don't recall the writing being bad, but it was a long time ago. I thought it was a pretty good read. But then, I thought the dictionary was a pretty good read...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 31, 2019, 08:30:21 PM
I tried to read, The Last Ship, but the writing was so bad I did not finish it.  Liked the concept, tho.

Was that the one where they thought there was a signal only to find it was a bottle in a window blind in the wind?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2019, 08:35:17 PM
I don't recall the writing being bad, but it was a long time ago. I thought it was a pretty good read. But then, I thought the dictionary was a pretty good read...
Well--maybe it was that my reading was bad and the writing was good. ?? 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Shooter killed in West Texas after 5 people died, at least 21 injured, police say

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/31/us/odessa-texas-active-shooter/index.html

Quote(CNN)A gunman in West Texas who went on a shooting spree, killing five people while randomly firing from his vehicle and then from a hijacked mail truck, was shot and killed by police in a gun battle in a movie theater parking lot, authorities said Saturday.

At least 21 people were injured, including three law enforcement officers, Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said at a news conference. A hospital administrator said a child under the age of 2 was hurt and at least seven people were in critical condition.

Gerke identified the shooter as a white male in his 30s. His name and a motive were not given.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 31, 2019, 07:55:06 PM
One of my all time faves!  I very rarely re-read novels.  This one I've read twice--and since it has been over 30 years since I last read it, I'll have to dig up another copy!  On The Beach; Level 7 and Alas Babylon are also good reads about life after.
I read Abides and Alas Babylon back to back when I was a bit younger than I am now.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 01, 2019, 03:46:45 AM
Shooter killed in West Texas after 5 people died, at least 21 injured, police say

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/31/us/odessa-texas-active-shooter/index.html

Glad shooter was killed.  There are too many bad humans as it is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

And the next one is out there now getting ready to do something similar. It's only a question of where and when, and how many will die.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 01, 2019, 05:15:30 PM
And the next one is out there now getting ready to do something similar. It's only a question of where and when, and how many will die.
Ah, you've met my cousins.

You have my sympathies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 01, 2019, 05:15:30 PM

Makes me happy.  Y'all can die sooner or later.  I am not particular.

“A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them.  Which would include their own government.” - George Washington

Of course he was an evil slave holder.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 01, 2019, 05:58:56 PM
Makes me happy.  Y'all can die sooner or later.  I am not particular.

“A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them.  Which would include their own government.” - George Washington

Of course he was an evil slave holder.

Of course he was.  They used the economic success at the time.  It was evil.  So was English serfdom, and the practices of most places at the times.  Life was awful then.  I am glad that most places got out of slave economies.  That the US was one of the last to do so is forever shameful.

But I suppose someone always has to be last.  I do sure wish we hadn't been the last, but talk to Southerners about the details on that.  Some of MY ancestors died ending it.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2019, 01:04:05 AM
Of course he was.  They used the economic success at the time.  It was evil.  So was English serfdom, and the practices of most places at the times.  Life was awful then.  I am glad that most places got out of slave economies.  That the US was one of the last to do so is forever shameful.

But I suppose someone always has to be last.  I do sure wish we hadn't been the last, but talk to Southerners about the details on that.  Some of MY ancestors died ending it.

Yes, we are colonials (now).  Rebels (now).  Slavers (now).  Nothing good about the USA?  Except all the other bastards.  Don't tie your identity to your nationality (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2019, 01:56:16 AM
Yes, we are colonials (now).  Rebels (now).  Slavers (now).  Nothing good about the USA?  Except all the other bastards.  Don't tie your identity to your nationality (sarc).

Speak for yourself.  In the US, we had to fight a damn vicious and bloody Civil War to end it because slavery was so integrated in a major part of the country.  And in some ways, we are still fighting it.  I envy those nations that managed to end slavery more easily.  It was not a proud time.  We still struggle with the "original sin" of slavery. 

But we do fight it.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2019, 02:12:00 AM
Speak for yourself.  In the US, we had to fight a damn vicious and bloody Civil War to end it because slavery was so integrated in a major part of the country.  And in some ways, we are still fighting it.  I envy those nations that managed to end slavery more easily.  It was not a proud time.  We still struggle with the "original sin" of slavery. 

But we do fight it.

I only speak for myself.  The rest of humanity can off itself.  You envy other nations?  Traitor (sarc).  If you were a real American, our shit would smell sweet.

The original sin is coming down out of the trees.

20,000 teen girls are enslaved in the US.  Many "guest workers" are enslaved but not in the sex trade.  Fed by human trafficking which has bipartisan support.  Put on your lycra suit and go superhero for us ;-)  And stop pissing on the ancestors.  We don't have anything on them as far as virtue goes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.