News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mass Shooting in El Paso

Started by Baruch, August 03, 2019, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 11:02:19 AM
I agree.  The people who think they should be prepared to fight the Army gun to gun are bemused. 

Well, that's a polite way of putting it. I might not be so polite when describing them.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 12:17:00 PM
Open carry tells a criminal  where to find a gun.

As does an armed teacher's desk drawer.

In 2016, the last year for which the CDC provides numbers 22,938 people committed suicide by firearm, while 14,415 people died in gun homicides.

According to Daily Caller News Foundation analysis  (a right to arms group) gun carrying, private citizens who used firearms to stop criminal attacks saved at least 283 potential victims in a period between July 2014 and July 2015.

Let’s see, that’s over 37,000 people who used guns to die themselves or kill someone else, and  283 people who were saved by them..

Of course, anyway who wants to kill themselves might find a way.  Tried to slit your own throat lately with a knife?  Its really hard..  I checked out some websites (I will not give links) but  apparently you can’t slit your own throat.  You flinch. 

Medication seems popular, but you usually through it all up and live wretchedly for days after and never try it again. 

You could arrange some gadget to crush you, shoot you with an arrow, etc,  but that takes building skills and is pretty iffy. 

Self-hanging is often used (about 70% efficient) but apparently it is slower than commonly thought and people who survive it seldom try again. (Wikipedia).

Another website discussed filed self-shooting attempts, but the failures seem to be numerous and gruesome.  Apparently, people in distress can’t aim very well.

It seems that the most certain way to commit suicide is to tie a cinderblock to your foot and jump off a boat.

So much for justifiying guns for suicide…

How about for killing other people?  Well, that works pretty well.  You can’t blame a gun for doing what it is designed to do..  But that isn’t much of a justification for having a gun.  Especially not a repeater type.

I’ve hunted.  I killed quite a few animals in my day.  Deer, rabbits, quail,  even a few groundhogs (and trust me you really don’t want to eat groundhog stew). 

Speaking of quail, if there was ever a justification for a repeating hunting weapon, it’s quail or dove.  But then there wouldn’t be much left to eat, would there?

So why would any civilian need anything more than a 12 gauge shotgun?

Well, to imagine (in the dead of night after listening to people who make you afraid of “The Govt”), of course.    Because those who  think they are a part of a militia who could stand up to the Army with all their trained soldiers and tactics are completely looney-tunes!

So let’s drop all the militia dreams and get rid of the guns that kill us.  The NRA says that 283 people protecting themselves successfully per year is worth 37,000 deaths. 

I don’t think so.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

One of my cousins was accumulating data on people killed by guns owned by a resident of their home. She was looking exclusively at our extended family.

She disappeared a month ago, and hasn't been heard from.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 01:52:33 PM
One of my cousins was accumulating data on people killed by guns owned by a resident of their home. She was looking exclusively at our extended family.

She disappeared a month ago, and hasn't been heard from.

I'm between horrified and dismally-understanding...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 02:00:14 PM
I'm between horrified and dismally-understanding...
She was warned. "But it's just research." Yet another moron on my family tree.

Boss Lady says I must be adopted.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 02:19:47 PM

About a century ago, a yellow apple appeared om a red delicious tree.  That new apple was called a "Golden Delicious" and it is the most popular apple in the world today.  Maybe you are like that apple...

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 02:19:47 PM

Hatfields or McCoys?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Unbeliever

Just heard about another West Texas shooting, in Midland/Odessa. Don't know the details yet.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2019, 06:51:03 PM
Just heard about another West Texas shooting, in Midland/Odessa. Don't know the details yet.

Oh damn, MORE?

Cavebear

Not again.  This insanity HAS to stop.

Gawdzilla Sama

It will, when the Earth has been cured of humans.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 07:04:34 PM
It will, when the Earth has been cured of humans.

History does suggest that will happen eventually. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 07:07:01 PM
History does suggest that will happen eventually. 
Better sooner than later. The crabs and body lice will mourn us.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 07:07:30 PM
Better sooner than later. The crabs and body lice will mourn us.

The cockroaches will too.  Being tropical insects, they actually depend on our warm apartments.