News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mass Shooting in El Paso

Started by Baruch, August 03, 2019, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 09, 2019, 09:31:24 PM
Democrats aren't woke.  They are the left hand version of Republicans (right hand majority).

Nonsense. The GOP has lost its marbles -- all of them.  I'm no fan of the Dems but until the GOP gets over its primary focus on bigotry I'm sick of the bullshit bothsiderism.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 09, 2019, 10:47:38 PM
Nonsense. The GOP has lost its marbles -- all of them.  I'm no fan of the Dems but until the GOP gets over its primary focus on bigotry I'm sick of the bullshit bothsiderism.

LBJ was 5th column for George Wallace.  Welfare and Vietnam were a double whammy of hate for all Black males.  So maybe ... don't talk party, just name the perps, their party label is BS.

So if you want to go love everyone, feel free, but use a condom.

I posted a Nazi film and a Stalin film.  As sarcasm.  We have nothing like that today in the US.

My mother, as a child, her father and father's father were KKK.  I have heard the stories.  That was real, today we have Betas with hangnails.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 09, 2019, 11:17:09 PM
LBJ was 5th column for George Wallace.

Bullshit. LBJ fought tooth and nail to get the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed and he knew it would lose Dems the South for at least a generation. Your continued bothsideism is tripe.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 10, 2019, 12:29:38 AM
Bullshit. LBJ fought tooth and nail to get the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed and he knew it would lose Dems the South for at least a generation. Your continued bothsideism is tripe.

Toothless.  And now watered down.  He passed it because he hated Black men.  Most men sent to, and who died, in Vietnam, were Black men.  The people most displaced by War on Drugs and War on Poverty were ... Black men.  He was a bloodthirsty bastard.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Your relentless contrarism is boring.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 10, 2019, 06:27:36 AM
Your relentless contrarism is boring.

I take my clue from George Carlin.  Except I don't find this to be a joke.  Maybe it is because "shining city on a hill" ... is BS.

People could try to be something other than "nattering nabobs of negativity".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Sylar on August 09, 2019, 08:28:17 PM
We have an ignorance epidemic in this country,

You don't need to go countrywide. Just on this forum, we have one poster who posts on average 22 posts a day, spewing his indignation at every post he can muster to answer in whatever time he has on hand. And we have to put up because of freedom of expression. Yet, the same guy would throw away democracy without blinking an eye, the very thing that allows him to do what he does. He's a bundle of contradiction, irrelevance and yes, ignorance.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on August 10, 2019, 04:44:03 AM
Toothless.  And now watered down.  He passed it because he hated Black men.  Most men sent to, and who died, in Vietnam, were Black men.  The people most displaced by War on Drugs and War on Poverty were ... Black men.  He was a bloodthirsty bastard.

You are wrong, Baruch. Among the enlisted ranks in Vietnam, nearly 6 young white Americans were killed for every young black Amerian. During this period blacks made up about 11% of the US population. They accounted for a little over 14% of the enlisted deaths. If you add officers that number drops to about 12.5%. Blacks were slightly over-represented in Vietnam, but more whites served and died during that war.

https://www.americanwarlibrary.com/vietnam/vwc10.htm

Edited to remove the reference to rates in the last sentence. Blacks served and died at a higher rate than whites in Vietnam, but there were still a lot more whites than blacks.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

My unit was 25 men, replaced as they died. Four were blacks, two hispanic, one Irish, the rest white.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 10, 2019, 10:39:25 AM
My unit was 25 men, replaced as they died. Four were blacks, two hispanic, one Irish, the rest white.

Sorry about your losses.

On a different note: Are you saying that Irish is not white... blasphemy...

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 10, 2019, 08:21:46 AM
You are wrong, Baruch. Among the enlisted ranks in Vietnam, nearly 6 young white Americans were killed for every young black Amerian. During this period blacks made up about 11% of the US population. They accounted for a little over 14% of the enlisted deaths. If you add officers that number drops to about 12.5%. Blacks were slightly over-represented in Vietnam, but more whites served and died during that war.

https://www.americanwarlibrary.com/vietnam/vwc10.htm

Edited to remove the reference to rates in the last sentence. Blacks served and died at a higher rate than whites in Vietnam, but there were still a lot more whites than blacks.

OK.  Wasn't claiming it was 100% Black men.  Are you claiming that LBJ was a good guy?  That his War on Drugs and War on Poverty were any better than his War on Gooks?  Black men didn't get draft deferments.  Whites did.  I would have drafted all the college boys, first.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 10, 2019, 10:42:22 AM
Sorry about your losses.

On a different note: Are you saying that Irish is not white... blasphemy...

There was a time the Irish, as well as Italians, were discriminated against in America. Hispanics are technically white too, but doesn't stop us from dehumanizing them today, does it?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 10, 2019, 07:57:12 AM

You don't need to go countrywide. Just on this forum, we have one poster who posts on average 22 posts a day, spewing his indignation at every post he can muster to answer in whatever time he has on hand. And we have to put up because of freedom of expression. Yet, the same guy would throw away democracy without blinking an eye, the very thing that allows him to do what he does. He's a bundle of contradiction, irrelevance and yes, ignorance.

Guess you passed arithmetic ;-)  Used to be about 17 per day, then things have gotten more interesting, circa 2016.

Yes, I would throw away fake democracy and fake citizens in a fake republic ... rhetorically.  It is a catharsis, not a physical thing.  Same as forgetting Santa Claus.

Nobody is honest or clear headed in our species.  Americans are not wonderful.  Not better than Brazilian favela dwellers.  Does that mean I hate Americans?

Far from it.  I am simply freeing myself from the "White Mans Burden" ... liberal or conservative version.

I am not the status quo authoritarian here.  I continue to grow in freethinking, rejecting everything I have ever been taught, everything I have ever read ... unless it can pass the smell test.  And intelligent posts (that I don't agree with) have been instrumental in this.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 10, 2019, 11:25:31 AM
There was a time the Irish, as well as Italians, were discriminated against in America. Hispanics are technically white too, but doesn't stop us from dehumanizing them today, does it?

Correct.  People here only remember the liberal MJ haze of their youth.  There was a time when a Protestant would cross to the other side of the street to avoid going by a Catholic church.  Germans, Italians, Poles, Jews etc were all discriminated against.  But to my POV, old vendettas never die.  In the US or Europe.  They are merely sleeping.

Both Irish and Jews were considered non-White.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 10, 2019, 11:23:36 AM
  I would have drafted all the college boys, first.
I would have drafted all the sons of all the congressmen/women and all govt. officials, first.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?