News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mass Shooting in El Paso

Started by Baruch, August 03, 2019, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 04, 2019, 09:40:18 AM
'round and around the not-so-merry circus of gun rights we go, again.

While the NRA and gun makers and sellers laugh all the way to the bank.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aileron

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 04, 2019, 05:13:18 PM
While the NRA and gun makers and sellers laugh all the way to the bank.

If the gun lobby and NRA were smart, which of course nobody ever accused them of that, they'd work to get Democrats elected. Nothing makes gun bunnies hop to the gun stores like a Democratic president.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shiranu

Quote from: aileron on August 04, 2019, 04:50:30 PM
Your details are not quite right, but yes, at the request of one of my twin daughters I purchased and own a youth starter rifle six years ago. I took her shooting first at age 8. As a former US Navy officer, I fully qualified as an expert marksman in rifles and pistols. I did not take her shooting as a "reward". I took her at her request, and to teach her firearms safety. I keep all my firearms locked securely and take firearms safety seriously. I have also taken steps to ensure their security should friends or family members show concerns about me.

Six years later as a cadet in youth auxiliaries for both the US Navy and US Army, she has qualified as an expert marksman with both rifles and pistols. She has her sights set on gaining entry to the highly competitive US Naval Academy. She's getting straight A's to improve her chances and is on a dedicated physical training program.

Yes, I'm fully aware the USA has a gun culture problem, but militaries will be a necessary evil for centuries to come. As long as they are, it's important to have rising leaders who are responsible, thoughtful, and compassionate.

I do think there needs to be a separation between military gun culture and "American", shoot-em-up gun culture.

My dad taught me how to shoot when I was younger; we lived on a farm, he was ex-Air Force and it was useful to know how to properly handle a rifle as well as common sense things like never keep you finger on the trigger, make sure the gun is unloaded and the safety is on until you are ready to use it, and never point it at someone without intending to shoot them (both of which, once I started shooting with people who weren't raised around guns, I realised weren't as common sense as you would think).

The only real flaw was we didn't keep the guns locked up, but... it was a different time so to speak (my dad was my step-great-grandfather).

As far as I know, the overwhelming majority of shooters are not formally trained in gun use, or even trained by someone with formal experience.  This is going to come as a shock given how "anti-gun" I am, but I have no problem with parents teaching their children proper gun usage, maintenance, and discipline. They are a useful tool and one that people should know how to operate.

General American gun culture and knowledge of guns is much more... action movie influenced, and that in it's self is a huge issue.

Ideally, only heirloom guns and extremely limited round guns should be allowed... and that only after extensive background checks and training. Likewise I think it needs to be stressed more and more how much more dangerous a household with a gun is to one that isn't, and in the case where the gun is in a house with a family... all members of the family have to be checked and also have to consent to having a gun in their house.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

Quote from: aileron on August 04, 2019, 05:15:50 PM
If the gun lobby and NRA were smart, which of course nobody ever accused them of that, they'd work to get Democrats elected. Nothing makes gun bunnies hop to the gun stores like a Democratic president.

Hey, glad to see you aileron! Been a while since you were here, hope you're doing well.
God Not Found

aileron

Quote from: Shiranu on August 04, 2019, 05:18:55 PMAs far as I know, the overwhelming majority of shooters are not formally trained in gun use, or even trained by someone with formal experience.

Agreed. I don't think this is what the Framers had in mind when they referenced a "well-regulated militia":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2qJqDBM58

QuoteThis is going to come as a shock given how "anti-gun" I am, but I have no problem with parents teaching their children proper gun usage, maintenance, and discipline.

I agree. Traditionally, US kids got exposed to firearms through their fathers or grandfathers hunting. Hunting in the USA has declined by 50% in 50 years. Now when kids are exposed to firearms for the first time, it's often not from a responsible adult like your father. It's all too often a gun fetishist, right wing nut or prepper who exposes them to firearms the first time.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

aileron

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 04, 2019, 05:34:34 PM
Hey, glad to see you aileron! Been a while since you were here, hope you're doing well.

Thanks, Unbeliever. I've not been doing well since January 20, 2017, but hope to start feeling better January 20, 2021.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?csz=1&iso=20210120T00&msg=Time+left+until+Trump+leaves+office&p0=263

Unbeliever

Quote from: aileron on August 04, 2019, 06:05:29 PM
Agreed. I don't think this is what the Framers had in mind when they referenced a "well-regulated militia":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2qJqDBM58

I agree. Traditionally, US kids got exposed to firearms through their fathers or grandfathers hunting. Hunting in the USA has declined by 50% in 50 years. Now when kids are exposed to firearms for the first time, it's often not from a responsible adult like your father. It's all too often a gun fetishist, right wing nut or prepper who exposes them to firearms the first time.

I recognized one of those from years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 04, 2019, 05:15:50 PM

Except for 1861-1865.  I wish we had communism in 1861, then the Rebels would have no arms.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on August 04, 2019, 02:52:39 PM
honestly unlike those living in america we brits don't have to fear school or church shootings like you guys do, so I'm fine here.

Just knifing in London, and communist revolution in Labor/Lib-Dem.  Yes, you are so ... safe (cough, cough).  Britain is the most police state outside of NorK.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 04, 2019, 11:18:07 AM
We had a member who got candy pink rifles for his 8 year old twin daughters for christmas and talked about how normal that is to take them to the shooting range as a reward in a gun thread. 6-7 years ago?

Fanatical.  Whirling Dervishes are safer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on August 04, 2019, 02:52:39 PM
honestly unlike those living in america we brits don't have to fear school or church shootings like you guys do, so I'm fine here.
I envy you that.  I hope it never changes.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 04, 2019, 09:15:43 AM
The recent stats show that 25% of mass shooters had mental diseases. The other 75% didn't. So that's that. But most Americans believe it's their God-given right to own a gun. In a country where there are more guns than people, it's a surprise that we don't have more mass shootings.

Sociopathy isn't an illness.  Psychosis is.  Almost all people are psychopathic (twisted personality), and a section of the psychopaths are the sociopaths.  It would be so convenient if all bad people were psychotic.  Hitler for example, was not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 04, 2019, 09:40:18 AM
'round and around the not-so-merry circus of gun rights we go, again.

You have no rights.  The government can rob, rape or kill you at will.  Democratically if necessary.  That is what a government is for, to avoid vigilantes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 04, 2019, 11:54:18 AM
How is that you don't get his remarks? He is not talking about what he said or didn't or what was required to say in this situation. May be you should explain your comments in this situation. Because I believe you are doing this deliberately, or if you are that stupid may be you should be treated differently? After all it is first not fair to you, is it?

He is talking about the fact that he acts as this is something very normal, frankly wouldn't move a finger to do something about it, but only work for more guns to be in circulation in the country.

This is domestic terrorism. It's about white supremacy. This is right now the number one problem the country has. Yet the president can't even acknowledge what it really is. One of the first things Donald Trump did when he sat on that chair was to remove the term white supremacy from official gov sites. As long as he is concerned, it doesn't exist. It's a fucking lie.Obama is the president helped this term to be normalised.

Shootings, church burning...etc these perpetrators take support from Trump, because he is fucking racist. 3 historic churches were burnt in 10 days a few months ago. Black churches. The young white man was charged with 'hate crime'. 

Obama started a program to fight with domestic terrorism which largely is white terrorism. Trump declared he won't renew it last year, while FBI reports the problem is a white supremcy problem and it is getting bigger and bigger.

So yeah, Americans have a right to say anything about his approach, anything he said or didn't say...anything comes to their mind. I personally think Mike was pretty polite with sarcasm.

Mike is all about Liberal dictatorship?  Maybe you can get him to Pinochet Turkey for you?

Most people in the US are White.  So most terrorism is White.  So are most welfare mothers.  The biggest beneficiaries of 60s liberalism was White women.  But that isn't true of violent crime ... young Black men specialize in that ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 04, 2019, 12:43:29 PM
The general Trump politics is the reason for the escalation of white supremacist mass shootings. 

If a president openly,

-divides a nation by races, making vile comments about nonwhite communities
-calling hispanics 'rapists', a black majority community 'rat and rodent infested mess'
-defends white supremacists in a KKK rally,
-supports for getting more guns to stop mass shootings in schools,
-ignores the white domestic terrorism in his country,

he will be treated differently by anyone who has two brain cells to rub together. Yes, it is a political few words he is expected to say.

By the way, who was the last American president calling 6o million Americans rapists and thieves, again? Or defend KKK rally?

Did you guys know a few of the congresswomen started to get death threats just after his vile tweets about them?

Wrong.  You want Obama as President for Life, right?  Kill all White Males party?  True that TDS is worldwide.  Particularly in China.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.