The Logic of Atheists vs. Theist Arguments

Started by Absolute_Agent, July 31, 2019, 05:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 16, 2019, 03:22:33 PM
Meh... "Belief" is too broad, too sweeping. As my fiancee, my wife claimed that she believed in God. I asked her to describe God. She described a vague sense of what some have called "belief in belief". When I told her bluntly, "That's not God", she agreed. She just never thought about it much and didn't want to offend people.

You see this happening worldwide. Although many people claim to be an adherent of a region, when pressed for details on what they actually believe the specifics would have gotten them stoned to death or put on the rack when religion had real power.

Religion is a mile wide and an inch deep.  Mostly because the unexamined life is the only one worth living, unless one is a geek.  Your notion of progress is .. fanciful.  Optimism only requires a brain chemical imbalance, same as pessimism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 05:03:20 PM
Religion is a mile wide and an inch deep.  Mostly because the unexamined life is the only one worth living, unless one is a geek.  Your notion of progress is .. fanciful.  Optimism only requires a brain chemical imbalance, same as pessimism.

Well, I do consider it progress that the odds I'll be stoned to death are slim. Baby steps. Of course others are free to disagree and argue that my being stoned to death represents progress.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 16, 2019, 05:07:37 PM
Well, I do consider it progress that the odds I'll be stoned to death are slim. Baby steps. Of course others are free to disagree and argue that my being stoned to death represents progress.

Definitely pragmatic.  Small steps are the only one's available.  For real progress, if it ever happened, I will be long dead.  Today, we have many more ways to get stoned.  Is that progress?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 08:09:25 PM

Your silence on spiritual experience speaks for itself...

Not silent.  I have discussed this before, but don't have the time or inclination to repeat.  Please review all 34,000+ posts I have made, mix them all together, and apply the secret decoder ring from the Kracker Jack's box.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 05:01:46 PM
People could choose to take all their money out of the banks, and spend it all at once, to avoid the negative interest. 
Stop repeating what I wrote. It's plagiarism.
QuoteBut that isn't healthy consumerism.
Unhealthy to you, not to everybody. Think again.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 05:21:13 PM
Not silent.  I have discussed this before, but don't have the time or inclination to repeat.  Please review all 34,000+ posts I have made, mix them all together, and apply the secret decoder ring from the Kracker Jack's box.

Blah, blah, blah...

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 16, 2019, 05:21:35 PM
Stop repeating what I wrote. It's plagiarism.Unhealthy to you, not to everybody. Think again.

A double failure.  Missed your nap?  I missed mine, I am only now getting to my cold coffee from breakfast ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 05:16:50 PMToday, we have many more ways to get stoned.  Is that progress?

Progress of a sort, yes. Throwing a fairly hefty stone hits with about 1 Joule. Your friendly, neighborhood Polaris warhead hits with about 836,800,000,000,000 Joules. We haven't become nicer or less violent as a species, but we've gotten more circumspect about using all those Joules when we know they'll be returned in kind. Mutual Assured Destruction may not be real progress, but it's the best we have for now.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 05:23:42 PM
A double failure.

ME: negative interest means more spending from consumers, less money in banks.
YOU: People could choose to take all their money out of the banks, and spend it all at once, to avoid the negative interest.

SAME

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 16, 2019, 05:28:54 PM
ME: negative interest means more spending from consumers, less money in banks.
YOU: People could choose to take all their money out of the banks, and spend it all at once, to avoid the negative interest.

SAME

A first, we actually understand each other.  We differ on why it is bad idea to create a bank run ;-((
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 05:45:32 PM
A first, we actually understand each other.  We differ on why it is bad idea to create a bank run ;-((

You suffer but the rest benefit... SPOCK "The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few"

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 16, 2019, 06:21:19 PM
You suffer but the rest benefit... SPOCK "The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few"

Perfect communism.  Is that you, Lenin?

Completed my nap.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2019, 08:04:01 PM
Perfect communism.  Is that you, Lenin?

Completed my nap.

Duh, there is no communism on Vulcan.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2019, 10:23:17 AM
They are a matriarchy under T'Pao

How would you know she live(d?) in the 24th century...