Is it moral for our governments to impose poverty on us?

Started by Greatest I am, July 25, 2019, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 10:20:48 PM
Total BS.  When the whole world is theist, and has slavery, there isn't any correlation.  Soviets and Mao's people weren't real atheists, so it is claimed (more BS).

I'm intrigueed you say that the Coms weren't true atheists.  They weren't by most standards philophically atheist, but the whole definition really means not caring about theisms so they count.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 10:28:29 PM
I'm intrigueed you say that the Coms weren't true atheists.  They weren't by most standards philophically atheist, but the whole definition really means not caring about theisms so they count.

This was widely argued before, that the reason for atheism in their case was political, not French Salon philosophy, like you.  BTW -  how is Madame DeFarge?

So what is true X?  No answer, for any of those.  But we can argue based on sports team logic after the game is already over.

Only a true atheist X, Y, Z ... keep extending, and there never has been a True Scotman either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aileron

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 10:20:48 PM
Total BS.  When the whole world is theist, and has slavery, there isn't any correlation.  Soviets and Mao's people weren't real atheists, so it is claimed (more BS).

While agreeing on the "with this therefore because of this" fallacy, I would point out an important asymmetry here. Theists (most of them) claim to have divine knowledge of morality. Atheists obviously do not.

If we both agree that slavery is immoral, why did theists support it for millenia when they possessed divine knowledge of morality?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Cavebear

Quote from: aileron on August 24, 2019, 10:33:58 PM
While agreeing on the "with this therefore because of this" fallacy, I would point out an important asymmetry here. Theists (most of them) claim to have divine knowledge of morality. Atheists obviously do not.

If we both agree that slavery is immoral, why did theists support it for millenia when they possessed divine knowledge of morality?

Always a good point.  But even an atheist COULD argue that "inferior people should be enslaved".  I don't but it isn't exclusively a theist position.  I've met some really crazy atheists in my life, some of whom I wouldn't even talk to in public..

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 24, 2019, 10:33:58 PM

Atheist know what is in Plato's butt hole, buggery you know.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 10:41:02 PM
Always a good point.  But even an atheist COULD argue that "inferior people should be enslaved".  I don't but it isn't exclusively a theist position.  I've met some really crazy atheists in my life, some of whom I wouldn't even talk to in public..

Would we talk, in public?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 10:59:36 PM
Probably not.  I don't even want to MEET you.

That is the only way we should do it in public.  In the men's stall in the men's restroom is to ... intimate for a first meeting ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 11:01:55 PM
That is the only way we should do it in public.  In the men's stall in the men's restroom is to ... intimate for a first meeting ;-))

You should talk to Munch about that sort of interest...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:04:11 PM
You should talk to Munch about that sort of interest...

That is why I like him.  I don't happen to be gay.  But I don't have homophobia.  I am usually a furry making out with road kill on the highway ... (horror movie sounds).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 11:13:04 PM
That is why I like him.  I don't happen to be gay.  But I don't have homophobia.  I am usually a furry making out with road kill on the highway ... (horror movie sounds).

I just happened upon the term for deliberately feeding vultires human corpses corpses a few days ago, but I'll be darned if I can recall it.  I don't think it comes from 'Accipitridae'. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:43:09 PM
I just happened upon the term for deliberately feeding vultires human corpses corpses a few days ago, but I'll be darned if I can recall it.  I don't think it comes from 'Accipitridae'.

Zoroastrians, Parsiis, Lakota people ... all have "air sacrifice".  It is thought that prehistoric Göbekli Tepe was a site for ritual exposure of corpses.

BTW - while I was chatting with y'all, I was revising (reviewing) my Sanskrit resources.  I not only have other things to do, I also multitask.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 25, 2019, 01:14:34 AM
Zoroastrians, Parsiis, Lakota people ... all have "air sacrifice".  It is thought that prehistoric Göbekli Tepe was a site for ritual exposure of corpses.

BTW - while I was chatting with y'all, I was revising (reviewing) my Sanskrit resources.  I not only have other things to do, I also multitask.

Good for you!  If that means you are getting out of your couple years funk, I applaud.

Greatest I am

Greatest I am

Quote from: Shiranu on August 24, 2019, 06:20:20 PM
When was this?

On the surface, best ideal would have been late 60s or so.

This is all subjective of course.

The best music was also in that same era.

That is not likely an accident.

Regards
DL