Is it moral for our governments to impose poverty on us?

Started by Greatest I am, July 25, 2019, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on July 31, 2019, 11:10:19 PM
You are growing up.  But it won't stop this year, it will go on and on.

Maybe. But I want to enjoy being young a bit longer before wandering off into the mountains to live like a hermit, which seems the only logical solution to knowing too much about how the world works.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on August 01, 2019, 02:32:27 AM
Maybe. But I want to enjoy being young a bit longer before wandering off into the mountains to live like a hermit, which seems the only logical solution to knowing too much about how the world works.

One doesn't have to wander off into hermithood after learning about how the world works badly and selfishly.  There is room for action to change things one candidate or vote at a time.  I know that may seem optimistic or simplistic, but most advancement comes from says "there is this thing I want to change" and talking to others about it.  It's incremental and not showy, but daily actions matter.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Greatest I am

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 31, 2019, 10:41:09 PM
Baruch's the very model of a biblical philologist...:-P

He is rather good sometimes.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Quote from: Shiranu on July 31, 2019, 10:45:17 PM
Personally I am finding myself with a more and more Platonian view of governance and leadership; democracy is the second worse form of government, only after tyranny of the corrupt.

Government should be specialized, and the leading class should be philosophers before anything else. An aristocracy where the people who rule are the people who are least interested in ruling for any reason other than duty and knowledge.

Your thinking is Socratic and accurate.

Duty and honor more than duty and knowledge was what he said should rule.

Today, the philosopher can easily be replaced by a demographer.

We are led by ideals and ideal can be found in demographic graphs just as they can be visualized.

Regards
DL

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 31, 2019, 10:41:09 PM
Baruch's the very model of a biblical philologist...:-P

To "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General" (often referred to as the "Major-General's Song" or "Modern Major-General's Song") is a patter song from Gilbert and Sullivan's 1879 comic opera The Pirates of Penzance...

"Baruch's the very model of a biblical philologist.
He has the information of the linguists and historic imagist.
He loves the Kings of England and he dates and loves the rules of it.
And also loves the Nazis who commanded positively wonderfly."

I won't continue... 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2019, 04:26:23 AM
To "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General" (often referred to as the "Major-General's Song" or "Modern Major-General's Song") is a patter song from Gilbert and Sullivan's 1879 comic opera The Pirates of Penzance...

"Baruch's the very model of a biblical philologist.
He has the information of the linguists and historic imagist.
He loves the Kings of England and he dates and loves the rules of it.
And also loves the Nazis who commanded positively wonderfly."

I won't continue...

Kudo
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2019, 10:14:41 PM
Thanks.  Give it a try yourself about me.  It's fun...

Alas my poetic muscles atrophied in 8th grade.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 12, 2019, 11:22:07 PM

Well, if you don't try, you can't succeed.  I would write for you of myself, but I can't help self-flattery of all my many sterling qualities and depth of knowledge of all things great and small.  But I bet if I met my clone, I could do a pretty good job mocking him though.  ;)

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2019, 11:58:05 PM
Well, if you don't try, you can't succeed.  I would write for you of myself, but I can't help self-flattery of all my many sterling qualities and depth of knowledge of all things great and small.  But I bet if I met my clone, I could do a pretty good job mocking him though.  ;)

See, your mania is at least amusing.  Like Blackadder having given Shakespeare all his good lines.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 13, 2019, 12:02:48 AM
See, your mania is at least amusing.  Like Blackadder having given Shakespeare all his good lines.

Wasn't he a Dr Who character?  Or was that Red Dwarf?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 13, 2019, 12:48:04 AM
Wasn't he a Dr Who character?  Or was that Red Dwarf?

The actor also mocked Dr Who.  But Blackadder was his own comedy of history.  All of Blackadder's ancestors were spectacular cads and failures.  The actor has had numerous funny parts to play.  No, I don't know that he has mocked Red Dwarf.  But both he and Red Dwarf were British productions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 13, 2019, 01:56:49 AM
The actor also mocked Dr Who.  But Blackadder was his own comedy of history.  All of Blackadder's ancestors were spectacular cads and failures.  The actor has had numerous funny parts to play.  No, I don't know that he has mocked Red Dwarf.  But both he and Red Dwarf were British productions.

Whoa, I thought I was joking about some actual historical character.  So you are saying it actually was a fictional TV one and my mock pretty much nailed it?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 13, 2019, 03:40:38 AM
Whoa, I thought I was joking about some actual historical character.  So you are saying it actually was a fictional TV one and my mock pretty much nailed it?

Yes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 12, 2019, 11:22:07 PM

Along with your brain. That would explain a lot...