Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

7 Scientific Urban Legends Debunked!

Started by Unbeliever, September 06, 2019, 03:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Just thought this might be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijuG9tyoR0

Some of those I knew were bogus, others not so much.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

All urban legends are wrong.  But they are right, in the fly over country.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 06, 2019, 03:26:53 PM
Just thought this might be of interest:

Some of those I knew were bogus, others not so much.

I was surprised by some of those too.   I had no specific reason NOT to accept that our bodies had a 10-1 ration of bacteria to human cells for example.  It made sense.  Bacteria are WAY smaller than most human cells, so size outmatches numbers.  And most bacteria reside in the specific area of gut and the guts are large in volume.

On the other hand, one of my favorite Firesign Theater records is titled "Everything You Know Is Wrong", and I try to keep that it mind.  But you can't check every fact and source.  I accept if the "process" is generally right (Forces equal MA in most situations) you have to go by the general information and accept that some are weak. 

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

I've also heard that there are ten times more viruses in our bodies than bacteria. I don't know it that's true, either.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 06, 2019, 08:16:52 PM
I've also heard that there are ten times more viruses in our bodies than bacteria. I don't know it that's true, either.

Well, they are even smaller than bacteria.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Viruses are so small, that they can only be captured in ultrafilters.  Years ago, there was a way of extracting all germs from a serum and checking for ability to infect.  This was achieved, and the serum was still infectious!  Before the electron microscope, that proved there were some tiny things we couldn't yet see.  If you accept prions (mean proteins) as being infectious agents (see mad cow disease, which is by Britain and Canada are crazy now), then there is something even smaller than a virus that is indirectly alive.  A virus is indirectly alive, because it relies on an infected regular cell to un-sexually reproduce.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.