News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

History Of The Ottoman Empire

Started by Draconic Aiur, July 18, 2019, 10:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2019, 12:15:42 PM
OK, why?  You are quick with the claim, how about some reasons?

New Englanders and Southerners hate each other.

BTW ... doing genealogy, because being an old man, this is my last shot at this.  Do you mind a few anecdotes?  Also I am not hostile to military combatants on any side.  I respect all combatants, see war as tragedy, not jihad or crusade.

OK, I suspected, but now have proved ... GGGGrandfather was an officer in the Confederacy.  Have found a lot of material relating to his experience ... which is totally amazing to me.  I have seen his actual full Confederate military documentation on-line.  Isaac X, 2Lt, Company B, 26th Tennessee infantry Regiment, 3rd Tennessee Volunteers.  He was from E Tennessee, was mustered in at Nashville, ended up at Ft Donelson early in 1862.  I know the officers he fought under, and so where in the fort he was when the fight happened.  He fought there and was captured in the first major defeat of the Confederacy, thanks to Brig General Grant.  Was marched off to Johnson Island prison camp for officers, a small island near-shore to Sandusky Ohio, in Lake Erie.  Less than 6 months later, he was part of a prisoner exchange (common early in the war) and returned to Confederate custody at Vicksburg Mississippi.  Promoted to 1stL.  Don't know if he saw further fighting, but the 3rd Tennessee Volunteers continued to fight, with new recruits, until April 1865, all thru Tennessee and Georgia, to great loss.  He had a son, by his first wife, in 1864.  But there is an oddity.  The kid was nick-named Ulysses.  I have seen both of their headstones, on-line, in SE Kansas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 01, 2019, 12:37:50 PM
New Englanders and Southerners hate each other.

BTW ... doing genealogy, because being an old man, this is my last shot at this.  Do you mind a few anecdotes?  Also I am not hostile to military combatants on any side.  I respect all combatants, see war as tragedy, not jihad or crusade.

OK, I suspected, but now have proved ... GGGGrandfather was an officer in the Confederacy.  Have found a lot of material relating to his experience ... which is totally amazing to me.  I have seen his actual full Confederate military documentation on-line.  Isaac X, 2Lt, Company B, 26th Tennessee infantry Regiment, 3rd Tennessee Volunteers.  He was from E Tennessee, was mustered in at Nashville, ended up at Ft Donelson early in 1862.  I know the officers he fought under, and so where in the fort he was when the fight happened.  He fought there and was captured in the first major defeat of the Confederacy, thanks to Brig General Grant.  Was marched off to Johnson Island prison camp for officers, a small island near-shore to Sandusky Ohio, in Lake Erie.  Less than 6 months later, he was part of a prisoner exchange (common early in the war) and returned to Confederate custody at Vicksburg Mississippi.  Promoted to 1stL.  Don't know if he saw further fighting, but the 3rd Tennessee Volunteers continued to fight, with new recruits, until April 1865, all thru Tennessee and Georgia, to great loss.  He had a son, by his first wife, in 1864.  But there is an oddity.  The kid was nick-named Ulysses.  I have seen both of their headstones, on-line, in SE Kansas.

Your post is honorably noted without criticism.  I do not have the same detail on my Yankee side, but I know some ancestors fought in the Civil War.

But I gently remind you that you did not answer the question of why the US too small for 50 States.  There is no need to rush an answer.

I know a lot about the Civil War.  I was born near Boston and we moved to Petersburg Virginia when I was 9.  I (and my younger brother) were the only students from north of the Mason-Dixon Line.  It was hard...  There was a girl from Georgia in my first class.  Our accents were SO different that we literally could not understand each other.  I spend my 5 years there digging up minnie balls and a few odd items like belt buckles in the nearby creek which was actually a war trench that was slowly returning to nature.

We moved to Maryland which was rather neutral territory in the modern area.  You might have found it funny to hear me speak when I was a Mass child.  The Virginians sure did.  When we moved to MD, I deliberately set about changing my natural accent.  In college, a linguistics teacher guessed I was from western PA or maybe Ohio. 

But whenever I visited family in NE, I was back in the "pak the caw in the yawd" after 2 days.  Old accents die hard.  Today, I speak "Johnny Carson" American Standard.  That's why I love linguistics, I suppose.

Be well...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2019, 01:03:01 PM
Your post is honorably noted without criticism.  I do not have the same detail on my Yankee side, but I know some ancestors fought in the Civil War.

But I gently remind you that you did not answer the question of why the US too small for 50 States.  There is no need to rush an answer.

I know a lot about the Civil War.  I was born near Boston and we moved to Petersburg Virginia when I was 9.  I (and my younger brother) were the only students from north of the Mason-Dixon Line.  It was hard...  There was a girl from Georgia in my first class.  Our accents were SO different that we literally could not understand each other.  I spend my 5 years there digging up minnie balls and a few odd items like belt buckles in the nearby creek which was actually a war trench that was slowly returning to nature.

We moved to Maryland which was rather neutral territory in the modern area.  You might have found it funny to hear me speak when I was a Mass child.  The Virginians sure did.  When we moved to MD, I deliberately set about changing my natural accent.  In college, a linguistics teacher guessed I was from western PA or maybe Ohio. 

But whenever I visited family in NE, I was back in the "pak the caw in the yawd" after 2 days.  Old accents die hard.  Today, I speak "Johnny Carson" American Standard.  That's why I love linguistics, I suppose.

Be

I did (by referencing 1860).  As a crown colony, the US wasn't just one big blob.  But divided into multiple colonies.  It should be again.  City states would be even better.

I hope someday you can find more detail on those who served.  I recently found an American Revolution veteran in my line, from Colonial Connecticut to Colonial New York.  But there is very little detail, which should be the norm.  These old documents only survive by chance.  Sometimes transcribed years ago, before the originals disintegrate.  I once read a typed version of an original minutes of meeting of the colonial North Carolina militia.  They had a guest report from a certain Col George Washington (noted but not excerpted).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 01, 2019, 03:06:45 PM
I did (by referencing 1860).  As a crown colony, the US wasn't just one big blob.  But divided into multiple colonies.  It should be again.  City states would be even better.

I hope someday you can find more detail on those who served.  I recently found an American Revolution veteran in my line, from Colonial Connecticut to Colonial New York.  But there is very little detail, which should be the norm.  These old documents only survive by chance.  Sometimes transcribed years ago, before the originals disintegrate.  I once read a typed version of an original minutes of meeting of the colonial North Carolina militia.  They had a guest report from a certain Col George Washington (noted but not excerpted).

Family records suggest the Dad side arrived first in the 1640s in New England and the Mom side arrived in Canada on Chaplain's 2nd voyage.   Dad's side were some Protestants and Quakers.  Mom's side were ferociously dedicated French Catholics.  They managed to get together anyway...

But what concerns me more is your reference to 1860.  I assume you mean 1760 when the colonies were still that.  Ptherwise, it makes no sense.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2019, 05:24:00 PM
Family records suggest the Dad side arrived first in the 1640s in New England and the Mom side arrived in Canada on Chaplain's 2nd voyage.   Dad's side were some Protestants and Quakers.  Mom's side were ferociously dedicated French Catholics.  They managed to get together anyway...

But what concerns me more is your reference to 1860.  I assume you mean 1760 when the colonies were still that.  Otherwise, it makes no sense.

More than one subject being addressed.  In politics, it is 1860.

Preliminary ... the research prior to 1850 is incomplete, but it seems pretty easy to push it back to 1700.  Farther back it is spotty, but maybe back to 1100.  But it seems some of my ancestors (as per American Revolution) were early founders of Connecticut.  Connecticut and Rhode Island were early liberal places, compared to Massachusetts.  The ancestors of my Confederate ancestor may have been Pennsylvania Dutch (outside Philadelphia) ... specifically Mennonite.  Others were Danish (mid 19th century).  Another group are those who are Dutch from New Amsterdam (NYC).  The English/Scottish/Irish is plentiful of course.  Once their arrival in the US or colonies are traced, it is now possible to pursue back into the old country because of on-line baptismal records etc.  I lean toward romanticism, but I find it interesting that now with on-line technology, I can flesh out all the stuff from American and European history that I have studied since childhood.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.