Why are we being distracted by Trump fluff? Deutsche Bank collapse in progress

Started by Baruch, July 17, 2019, 12:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-16/deutsche-bank-bnp-face-reality-of-168-billion-hedge-fund-deal

German to-big-to-fail bank.  They are killing off their investment bank business.  18,000 banker staff laid off.  If Germany can't save the remainder, then the German economy will fall down too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 17, 2019, 12:10:47 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-16/deutsche-bank-bnp-face-reality-of-168-billion-hedge-fund-deal

German to-big-to-fail bank.  They are killing of their investment bank business.  18,000 banker staff laid off.  If Germany can't save the remainder, then the German economy will fall down too.

The world economy is overdue for a serious retraction.  Trump is doing his best to encourage it, because he will gain from it  The Chinese economy is reaching a disbalance of investment and over-reach (the local and regional governments are borrowing heavily).  The EU is struggling with Brexit.  The US stock market is on an over-confidence bubble.  Investors are assuming the Dow will go up forever.  1929, anyone?

I bailed out to treasury notes and CDs at DOW 25,500.  I regret the bad timing, but I sure wont be damaged when the fewmets hit the windmill.  Or I might miss out on great gains.  The important thing to me is that I not lose what I have.  But I bet that in 5 years, I'll be better off.

One never knows.  But I do know one thing...  I won't LOSE anything.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 08:31:39 AM
The world economy is overdue for a serious retraction.  Trump is doing his best to encourage it, because he will gain from it  The Chinese economy is reaching a disbalance of investment and over-reach (the local and regional governments are borrowing heavily).  The EU is struggling with Brexit.  The US stock market is on an over-confidence bubble.  Investors are assuming the Dow will go up forever.  1929, anyone?

I bailed out to treasury notes and CDs at DOW 25,500.  I regret the bad timing, but I sure wont be damaged when the fewmets hit the windmill.  Or I might miss out on great gains.  The important thing to me is that I not lose what I have.  But I bet that in 5 years, I'll be better off.

One never knows.  But I do know one thing...  I won't LOSE anything.

Being dynamic is a good idea, until it isn't.  You have to jump, but not into the fire.  Yes, the trade war with China, and the potential hot war with Iran add additional jokers to the deck, but I ain't laughing.  I think the damage from Brexit is exaggerated, because staying in the EU ties you to the German suicide complex.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 20, 2019, 11:41:18 AM
Being dynamic is a good idea, until it isn't.  You have to jump, but not into the fire.  Yes, the trade war with China, and the potential hot war with Iran add additional jokers to the deck, but I ain't laughing.  I think the damage from Brexit is exaggerated, because staying in the EU ties you to the German suicide complex.

First, listening to Canon in D on a harp...   OMG.

Second, I've expected Trump to ruin the global economy, but it is taking longer than I thought.  I wasn't trying to time the market, of course (a fool's errand) but I was expecting a politically-forced economic pull-back by now.  Cost me 13%...  Well, what's $130,000 in the long term?  I'll buy back in when the Dow hits 18,000. 

Or not.  When you have enough to live on, it's sort of all Monopoly money.

Unbeliever

I suspect Putin's agenda is to invade Europe, and Trump's job for him is to keep America from interfering when he does. The UK is already unlikely to be able to do much of anything, and after America's political institutions have been sufficiently degraded, America will be unable/unwilling to do anything, either.

I surely do hope I'm wrong!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2019, 01:28:42 PM
I suspect Putin's agenda is to invade Europe, and Trump's job for him is to keep America from interfering when he does. The UK is already unlikely to be able to do much of anything, and after America's political institutions have been sufficiently degraded, America will be unable/unwilling to do anything, either.

I rather sadly agree.  The US can't do another D-Day in the modern age of nukes and drones and cyberattacks.  THat is why NATO is so important to both Europe and the US.  The only way to win that war is to PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING by economic and other means. 

Some people fear Trump for domestic reasons (and those are valid concerns).  But I fear global consequences.  Militarily, Putin could take Europe.  And there are only 2 choices if he does.

Surrender it.  Or

Boom, we're all dead.  Everyone.  Madmen don't care.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 12:16:09 PM
First, listening to Canon in D on a harp...   OMG.

Second, I've expected Trump to ruin the global economy, but it is taking longer than I thought.  I wasn't trying to time the market, of course (a fool's errand) but I was expecting a politically-forced economic pull-back by now.  Cost me 13%...  Well, what's $130,000 in the long term?  I'll buy back in when the Dow hits 18,000. 

Or not.  When you have enough to live on, it's sort of all Monopoly money.

Pachabel?  Might be better on harp.  Harp is going to be like harpsichord ;-)  We mostly here forte-piano ... and that muddles the notes together.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2019, 01:28:42 PM

I am hoping Putin goes all the way, defenestrates the US Congress ;-)

You gay boys want him ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkpuRLJhll8
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 20, 2019, 04:03:45 PM
Pachabel?  Might be better on harp.  Harp is going to be like harpsichord ;-)  We mostly here forte-piano ... and that muddles the notes together.

The notes are SO specific when plucked...  Although I couldn't prove it wasn't a harpsichord.  I suppose one could even do it on a guitar.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 20, 2019, 04:05:27 PM
I am hoping Putin goes all the way, defenestrates the US Congress ;-)

You gay boys want him ...

I'm more worried about his election games here.  That should be worth sinking a warm-water Russian port...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 20, 2019, 04:13:46 PM
I'm more worried about his election games here.  That should be worth sinking a warm-water Russian port...

He and the KGB are all powerful.  They are right now radioing to your tooth fillings to lull you into a false sense of confidence.  How much like Dick Cheney (who also never fought in a war) are the arm chair generals here.  I always advise ... avoid warfare if at all possible.  Most times it is, but not always.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 20, 2019, 04:30:47 PM
He and the KGB are all powerful.  They are right now radioing to your tooth fillings to lull you into a false sense of confidence.  How much like Dick Cheney (who also never fought in a war) are the arm chair generals here.  I always advise ... avoid warfare if at all possible.  Most times it is, but not always.

Putin and the FSB (the new name) are not all powerful.  They, like most nations, can attack others with cyberwarfare at will, but they are not what you think they are.

A threat?  Certainly.  And many nations attempt to influence other nations' elections.  We do too.  Just another problem to solve.  We'll adjust.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2019, 05:12:08 AM
Putin and the FSB (the new name) are not all powerful.  They, like most nations, can attack others with cyberwarfare at will, but they are not what you think they are.

A threat?  Certainly.  And many nations attempt to influence other nations' elections.  We do too.  Just another problem to solve.  We'll adjust.

So, you saw thru the sarcasm.  You must have already had your coffee ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 01, 2019, 07:12:42 AM
So, you saw thru the sarcasm.  You must have already had your coffee ;-)

Green Tea.  Sometimes Oolong.  But that's for when I get up.  Right now, I'm still Zinfandel-powered...