Physicists Hunt for Mirror Universe to Explain Neutron Decay Mystery & Dark Matt

Started by Unbeliever, July 08, 2019, 02:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 08:54:02 AM
I may recall that, now that you mention it.  One can see, given the intellectual prejudice of the time, that anything non-circular might be ... ignored initially.

Yes, memory is wonky sometimes.  The whole ellipses thing was Keper's discovery. 

I will sadly note the standard scientific references to him skips the errror and just discuses the correct conclusion, as if no one ever passed on an idea to examine it better later...

Personally, I think checking one's facts to realize you were right the first time is pretty impressive. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 10:44:26 AM
Yes, memory is wonky sometimes.  The whole ellipses thing was Keper's discovery. 

I will sadly note the standard scientific references to him skips the errror and just discuses the correct conclusion, as if no one ever passed on an idea to examine it better later...

Personally, I think checking one's facts to realize you were right the first time is pretty impressive.

Memory comes and goes.  But like eye-witness crime reports, is only 50/50 accurate ;-)  I am not the ideologue you are looking for (Baruch mind trick).

I am happy to double check things, that I remember, but haven't recently reviewed for accuracy.  It gets me more info.  Like that excellent website on the Lincoln assassination, that covers all the old conspiracy theories.  Yes, assassinations are sometimes conspiracies, not lone gunmen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 01:57:35 AM
First, oops I meant Kepler.  And it was mentioned in the Sagan or Tyson Cosmos series.  I can't find it online.  The reference is to Kepler having actually found the correct formula for planetary  orbits using a ellipse but made a mistake and passed it by only to return to it later and seeing it worked.  Does anyone have a similar recollection and/or link?
It was in the Sagan Cosmos episode, "The Harmony of the Worlds".  Skip forward to 31:30 --

https://youtu.be/pDYMF1RGthQ
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Yeah, Martin Luther also opposed Copernicus.  It wasn't just Catholics.  So Kepler would have been in trouble with both groups.

Note, originally the job for these guys was ... astrologer.  That is what payed the bills, not speculation.

Numerology provides clues, but not proof.  Perfect circles or perfect solids aren't physical.  But they do help filter out some bad ideas.  The trick is to re-measure, and to then refine the model.  Of course integrity is important.  It has been shown that Ptolemy, centuries before, altered his measurements, to better fit his model.  Kepler refused to do that.  So a dialectic ... idea, measurement, better idea, better measurement ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 24, 2019, 03:37:36 PM
It was in the Sagan Cosmos episode, "The Harmony of the Worlds".  Skip forward to 31:30 --

https://youtu.be/pDYMF1RGthQ

Thank you.l I knew it was in there somewhere.  I just couldn't recall where.  I will play Cosmos 31:30 later tonight.  I knew I could count on someone and I wasn't surprised it was you.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!