Atheists nicer to Christians than vice versa

Started by Hydra009, July 01, 2019, 12:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 02, 2019, 01:12:17 AM
Kind of like love the sinner hate the sin, really

So Christian of y'all ;-)  Maybe post-Christian culture isn't so bad after all. ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 02, 2019, 01:12:17 AM
Kind of like love the sinner hate the sin, really

Except when Christians say that, they're only pretending not to be bigoted towards the outgroups they call "sinners."

"Oh, I don't hate gay people. I just hate their lifestyle."

Sure.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 02, 2019, 03:29:36 AM
Except when Christians say that, they're only pretending not to be bigoted towards the outgroups they call "sinners."

"Oh, I don't hate gay people. I just hate their lifestyle."

Sure.

I totally agree.  But corruption isn't limited to Christians.  Per "original sin" all humans are corrupt beyond recovery.  And being non-Christian, I don't see Jesus as the solution to corruption.

1. All humans are born innocent, but are corrupted by X
2. All humans are born corrupt, but can be reformed by Y
3. Innocent/corrupt is a false dichotomy
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 09:35:09 PM
Some people find that too much to mention ...

Usually their tribalism appears in politics.  And it does.

Extremists (including atheist or gay types) are ... extreme.

Not that I mind the OP, in the sense that ... it would be nice if everyone was nicer to each other.  But I don't expect it ever.
The reason that atheists are, as mentioned in OP, nicer to theists than the reverse is because of stigma, more than exclusively tribalism, IMO. Atheists are still thought of as immoral, or lacking a moral compass, where theists think they're right because of their belief. That, and the fact that atheists come from all stripes of life, while theists are sectioned into various factions.

If you did the same research in the political spectrum, I'm pretty positive that, thanks to stigma going both ways, that the tribalism would be the same in both left/right. But I don't know that for sure, so I'll withhold judgement until that study is made or made aware of.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 02, 2019, 11:19:09 AM
The reason that atheists are, as mentioned in OP, nicer to theists than the reverse is because of stigma, more than exclusively tribalism, IMO. Atheists are still thought of as immoral, or lacking a moral compass, where theists think they're right because of their belief. That, and the fact that atheists come from all stripes of life, while theists are sectioned into various factions.

If you did the same research in the political spectrum, I'm pretty positive that, thanks to stigma going both ways, that the tribalism would be the same in both left/right. But I don't know that for sure, so I'll withhold judgement until that study is made or made aware of.

Stigma in certain places, under certain circumstances.  For example, if you are a Green protestor, who shows up uninvited to a private government dinner meeting, where the Chancellor of the Exchequer is present (who is #2 with the British nuclear football) you might be forcibly ejected.

I would hope that in most liberal Western countries (not all) and in most urban communities (rural people are more conservative) ... if you didn't advertise you are gay or atheist ... you are probably safe from assault.  On the other hand, as a Jewish person, if I went to Mecca, wearing a kippa, they would be very unhappy with me.

One problem for exhibitionists (those few who are) ... nobody wants to see you "do your thing" in public.  Because it is antisocial and psychopathic.  Do it in private all you want.  Gay pride parade once a year, not a real problem.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 09:36:46 PM
I have always warned admirers not to idolize me.

I doubt there's much danger of that...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on July 02, 2019, 03:46:46 AM
I totally agree.  But corruption isn't limited to Christians.  Per "original sin" all humans are corrupt beyond recovery.  And being non-Christian, I don't see Jesus as the solution to corruption.

1. All humans are born innocent, but are corrupted by X
2. All humans are born corrupt, but can be reformed by Y
3. Innocent/corrupt is a false dichotomy

Your problem is you see all weakness as equal. Nobody claimed atheists were perfect, yet here you are disputing a scientifically supported statement as "virtue signaling" because we're not all 100% benevolent. There are clear differences between people of different populations when categorized by certain traits. That's what psychology, a topic you pretend to be an expert on, is all about.

Fact is, Christians tend to assume religiousness = morality. They assume atheists are evil, despite their actions, because of that. They have, ironically, treated us in evil ways because of that assumption. Some of them even believe that good works are useless, because we're all flawed (a sentiment you appear not to have outgrown). Atheists, however, give no importance to religion. We might see the religious as more gullible, but we don't assume moral worth based on religiousness. We're more likely to judge people based on their actions. If you don't see that, you're just in denial.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Simon Moon on July 01, 2019, 05:40:46 PM

Glad to see it's not just me that noticed a change in Baruch.

He used to be more open minded, interesting to talk to, and tolerant.

His description of himself, "Freethinking theist", no longer seems accurate. Time to modify that, Baruch.

I haven't been here very long compared to you, Mike, and the others, but I noticed a change since I got here. I'm not sure what it is, exactly. He just seems different somehow. I think he might have got caught up in that anti-SJW Alt-Right movement that suddenly turned half of the atheists on the internet into idiots.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 02, 2019, 04:07:18 PM
Your problem is you see all weakness as equal. Nobody claimed atheists were perfect, yet here you are disputing a scientifically supported statement as "virtue signaling" because we're not all 100% benevolent. There are clear differences between people of different populations when categorized by certain traits. That's what psychology, a topic you pretend to be an expert on, is all about.

Fact is, Christians tend to assume religiousness = morality. They assume atheists are evil, despite their actions, because of that. They have, ironically, treated us in evil ways because of that assumption. Some of them even believe that good works are useless, because we're all flawed (a sentiment you appear not to have outgrown). Atheists, however, give no importance to religion. We might see the religious as more gullible, but we don't assume moral worth based on religiousness. We're more likely to judge people based on their actions. If you don't see that, you're just in denial.

Please define corruption.  Not all sins are the same, but atheists have none.  And all claims (even religious ones) for morality, are false.  There is no objective morality.  There is only "I like" or "I dislike".

I am not claiming that Christians are virtuous.  Far from it.  I don't even think Jewish people are virtuous.

No, not an expert on psychology.  I just refuse to ignore it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 02, 2019, 04:14:36 PM
I haven't been here very long compared to you, Mike, and the others, but I noticed a change since I got here. I'm not sure what it is, exactly. He just seems different somehow. I think he might have got caught up in that anti-SJW Alt-Right movement that suddenly turned half of the atheists on the internet into idiots.

I will only take credit for my own stupidity.  I can't take credit for other people being stupid, whether atheist or SJW or some weird combo.

The world had changed over the last 4 years, and I have changed with it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on July 04, 2019, 04:27:37 AM
Please define corruption.  Not all sins are the same, but atheists have none.  And all claims (even religious ones) for morality, are false.  There is no objective morality.  There is only "I like" or "I dislike".

Is 'false' really the propper word ik this situation?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 04, 2019, 07:03:18 AM
Is 'false' really the propper word ik this situation?

Pretentious monkey shines.  Even if we share many of the same likes and dislikes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

I try never to be nice to xhristards.  They always take it as a sign of weakness.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on July 05, 2019, 01:52:44 AM
I try never to be nice to xhristards.  They always take it as a sign of weakness.

Alpha male then?  What country will you invade next?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 01:52:38 PM
I don't believe you (because you are human, not because you are atheist).

Yes, LBGT want to make us all gay, by law.  Atheists want to make us all atheist, by law.  Jews want to convert all Gentiles (or kill them all).  That is how people role.  However minority positions are not likely to take hold.  The majority positions, they do take hold, they are much more dangerous.

What you are describing is a militant atheist