Atheists nicer to Christians than vice versa

Started by Hydra009, July 01, 2019, 12:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Moon

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2019, 05:05:41 PM
You are clearly not the same Baruch that I had really wanted to spend an afternoon sharing coffee and ideas with 10/15 years ago.

Glad to see it's not just me that noticed a change in Baruch.

He used to be more open minded, interesting to talk to, and tolerant.

His description of himself, "Freethinking theist", no longer seems accurate. Time to modify that, Baruch.

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Sal1981

Mike Cl

Quote from: Simon Moon on July 01, 2019, 05:40:46 PM

Glad to see it I'm not just me that noticed a change in Baruch.

His description of himself, "Freethinking theist", no longer seems accurate. Time to modify that, Baruch.
It is interesting that you noticed that too.  He is posting as a different person these days.  I wonder why the change.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Well, he's retired now, so maybe he's just letting it all hang out.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on July 01, 2019, 04:42:29 PM
I really had the impression that you were much more intelligent, and knowledgeable concerning the atheist position than this.

Bigotry much?

I just started posting here after a break, and I don't remember you being so intolerant.

I do not despise individual Christians (or other theists). Hell, my entire family are theists of various stripes, and I don't despise them, I love them, enjoy their company, respect most of them; except with regards to their silly theistic beliefs.

I have several very close Christian friends, (that I don't see nearly enough), but every year we all go on a long surfing trip to various countries (this year it will be Costa Rica). I would risk my life to save any of them from drowning. Wouldn't even think twice about it.

You do understand that it is possible to despise an ideology, without despising individuals, right?

Every individual human is worthy of my effort, to base my opinion of them solely on their actions, not based on their religion.

Some of you are "triggered" ... not my intension.  But I will not join in virtue signaling any group.  It isn't self aware, isn't honest.  And not my intent to do more than "note" any individual behavior.  But with collectivists, if you denigrate their tribe, they go all "red ant" on you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2019, 05:05:41 PM
Unlike the Unbeliever, I don't find your spewed shit funny.  I don't think it is comedy, but unbridled hate.  You seem so embittered with life that I doubt you laugh at anything.  Even the god you invented is evil and cruel and you don't seem to mind that.  You are clearly not the same Baruch that I had really wanted to spend an afternoon sharing coffee and ideas with 10/15 years ago.  I am very sorry for what whatever it was that you have lived through that has turned you so bitter and hateful.

Sorry you react that way, but not the first time.  And yes, we have had many many exchanges, not all good.  So why coffee?

And at times (not necessarily now) your bitter anger comes out to play.  Which worries me.

I have posted some good historical stuff this past week in response to Jagella.  I hope you enjoyed it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Simon Moon on July 01, 2019, 05:40:46 PM

Glad to see it's not just me that noticed a change in Baruch.

OK OK ... atheists/gays lie sometimes.  Wasn't implying they lie all the time ... that would be bigotry.

Democrats on the other hand, are correct only randomly and accidentally ;-)  Like a broken clock.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 01, 2019, 05:57:46 PM
People are tribalistic, big whoop.

Some people find that too much to mention ...

Usually their tribalism appears in politics.  And it does.

Extremists (including atheist or gay types) are ... extreme.

Not that I mind the OP, in the sense that ... it would be nice if everyone was nicer to each other.  But I don't expect it ever.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 01, 2019, 07:15:56 PM
Well, he's retired now, so maybe he's just letting it all hang out.

Sorry.  That is why I keep my PC camera off.  Don't want to scare the children ...

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2019, 07:14:25 PM
It is interesting that you noticed that too.  He is posting as a different person these days.  I wonder why the change.

No change.  But I accept that details and circumstances change post to post.  I have always warned admirers not to idolize me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 09:31:50 PM
Sorry you react that way, but not the first time.  And yes, we have had many many exchanges, not all good.  So why coffee?

And at times (not necessarily now) your bitter anger comes out to play.  Which worries me.

I have posted some good historical stuff this past week in response to Jagella.  I hope you enjoyed it.
Why coffee?  I'm not fond of beer.  And swapping ideas and ideals in a coffee shop or something like it, was an attractive thought.  Bitter anger from me?  I suppose so.  I do feel bitter about 'my' country right about now.  It is nothing like what I'd hoped it would be at this point in my life.  Bitter toward you?  Not really, yet.  But frustrated by your current posting I will admit to.  Or maybe, I just misjudged you from the get go.  And worried too, about your mental (emotional, really) state of mind.  You simply seem bitter about everything. 

Yes, I did enjoy your historical postings.  When you post that material it is always a good read.  I do appreciate the time and effort you expended to gain that historical knowledge.   I do not expect you (or anyone) to agree with me all the time--or even any time.  But I do enjoy a good discussion and you were able to provide them.  But I must admit, recently I don't even read your bitter sound bytes you have been spewing out lately. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 09:36:46 PM
No change.  But I accept that details and circumstances change post to post.  I have always warned admirers not to idolize me.
Yes, change.  And I'm not talking about change from post to post.  I'm talking about change over months.  You have 'always' warned admirers??? Really? :)))))))  Just don't step on me too often as I grovel at your feet!

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2019, 09:53:20 PM
Yes, change.  And I'm not talking about change from post to post.  I'm talking about change over months.  You have 'always' warned admirers??? Really? :)))))))  Just don't step on me too often as I grovel at your feet!

Really.  I am not the bot you are looking for ;-)  Jewish mind tricks.

I was much more bitter in 2010-2012 ... before I ever posted here.  The first two years posting here my tongue was too sharp.  Mostly in mourning or the last two years.  Most recently a complete change of life into retirement.  I look at retirement in Hindu terms.  I have already been a working forest dweller for 16 years, now turning into non-working forest dweller.  Not ready for final renunciation.  That has to be earned in my next phase of fictional biography, meditating in the American equivalent of Dune, inducing visions of giant worms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdsTABz2PaM

My jihad is over.  Time to turn things over to the next generation.  In this version of Children of Dune, Muad'Dib dies speaking truth to power, the power he had preternaturally created.

Soon enough I'll join the Anasazi (ancient ones) .. at first a legendary name, then a nameless legend, existing in the nuances of human archetypes.

To the south ... Chaco pueblo ruins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h9WlozwiTQ

To the north ... San Juan mountains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshovkI88QE
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Reality is just a story within a story within ...

With countless reproductions ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3bfYgzIctI

Preview ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZXB4aAIJcw

Little Dune ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDssG7XlgY

Crestone is a sietch ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2QyDZ78jA

Close encounters of a synchronicity kind ...

In a national forest in the same general area, edge of San Louis valley ... my dad was camping alone in the 1970s.  My mother and I were attending a youth convention in Alamosa ... my dad was all alone at night, at the campground, with his usual pit fire ... when a nearby ancient tree decided to spontaneously fall over, while he was watching it.  He thought the experience was meaningful.  It answered the age old question of ... "if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there to hear it ...".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 01, 2019, 01:27:57 PM
We don't despise the people, we despise their silly delusion.

Kind of like love the sinner hate the sin, really
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.