Atheists nicer to Christians than vice versa

Started by Hydra009, July 01, 2019, 12:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuoteAtheists are more generous toward Christians than Christians are toward them, a new study has claimed.

Researchers at Ohio University asked participants to share monetary rewards with partners in a version of the “dictator game”, in which one person had no power to affect the division of the bounty.

When atheists were told of their partner’s religious beliefs, they “behaved impartially toward ingroup and outgroup partners,” the study’s authors wrote in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.

However, “Christians consistently demonstrated an ingroup bias”.
Source

Baruch

Most religious people are sectarian.  But I find the notion that atheists are kind to people they despise ... to be questionable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

We don't despise the people, we despise their silly delusion. And the fact that they want to make it the absolute law of the land.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

This should be obvious to anyone who is or knows an atheist. We don't care about other peoples' beliefs nearly as much as Christians do. They elevate their belief system to the most important quality of their self-image. We put more importance on our human decency; the stuff that actually matters.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 01, 2019, 01:27:57 PM
We don't despise the people, we despise their silly delusion. And the fact that they want to make it the absolute law of the land.

I don't believe you (because you are human, not because you are atheist).

Yes, LBGT want to make us all gay, by law.  Atheists want to make us all atheist, by law.  Jews want to convert all Gentiles (or kill them all).  That is how people role.  However minority positions are not likely to take hold.  The majority positions, they do take hold, they are much more dangerous.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 01, 2019, 01:51:11 PM
This should be obvious to anyone who is or knows an atheist. We don't care about other peoples' beliefs nearly as much as Christians do. They elevate their belief system to the most important quality of their self-image. We put more importance on our human decency; the stuff that actually matters.

I wish your virtue signaling wasn't delusion.  That would take great faith in humanity.

Yes, theists are concerned about theological nonsense, and atheists are free of that particular BS.  Yawn.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 01:52:38 PM
Yes, LBGT want to make us all gay, by law.

No, they don't.

QuoteAtheists want to make us all atheist, by law.

No, they don't.

QuoteJews want to convert all Gentiles (or kill them all).

No, they don't.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 01:52:38 PM
I don't believe you (because you are human, not because you are atheist).

Yes, LBGT want to make us all gay, by law.  Atheists want to make us all atheist, by law.  Jews want to convert all Gentiles (or kill them all).  That is how people role.  However minority positions are not likely to take hold.  The majority positions, they do take hold, they are much more dangerous.
Once again, the babbling shit-fest strikes. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2019, 02:50:30 PM
Once again, the babbling shit-fest strikes.

Rhetoric isn't you guy's style (snort).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 03:20:28 PM
Rhetoric isn't you guy's style (snort).
What you spew is not rhetoric but just plain made up shit. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2019, 03:57:08 PM
What you spew is not rhetoric but just plain made up shit. 

As opposed to the fancy made up shit.

;-)
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 01, 2019, 03:59:45 PM
As opposed to the fancy made up shit.

;-)

Exactly ... mine is fancier ;-)

Maybe MikeCL can get comedy lessons from the Good Humor Man?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Simon Moon

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 01:03:58 PM
Most religious people are sectarian.  But I find the notion that atheists are kind to people they despise ... to be questionable.

I really had the impression that you were much more intelligent, and knowledgeable concerning the atheist position than this.

Bigotry much?

I just started posting here after a break, and I don't remember you being so intolerant.

I do not despise individual Christians (or other theists). Hell, my entire family are theists of various stripes, and I don't despise them, I love them, enjoy their company, respect most of them; except with regards to their silly theistic beliefs.

I have several very close Christian friends, (that I don't see nearly enough), but every year we all go on a long surfing trip to various countries (this year it will be Costa Rica). I would risk my life to save any of them from drowning. Wouldn't even think twice about it.

You do understand that it is possible to despise an ideology, without despising individuals, right?

Every individual human is worthy of my effort, to base my opinion of them solely on their actions, not based on their religion.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 01, 2019, 04:04:28 PM
Exactly ... mine is fancier ;-)

Maybe MikeCL can get comedy lessons from the Good Humor Man?
Unlike the Unbeliever, I don't find your spewed shit funny.  I don't think it is comedy, but unbridled hate.  You seem so embittered with life that I doubt you laugh at anything.  Even the god you invented is evil and cruel and you don't seem to mind that.  You are clearly not the same Baruch that I had really wanted to spend an afternoon sharing coffee and ideas with 10/15 years ago.  I am very sorry for what whatever it was that you have lived through that has turned you so bitter and hateful.